Professor Christopher Roy Bullen
BHB, MBChB, DObst, DCH, MPH (Hons1), PhD, FAFPHM, FNZCPHM
Research | Current
- Tobacco control and smoking cessation
- Addictions including problem gambling
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
- Heart Disease prevention and management
- Population health education
- Health in low and middle income countries
- Evaluating public health interventions
- Housing and health
- Health technology
Teaching | Current
I am responsible for conceptualising and overseeing a week of population health education, largely undertaken via 'exposure' to leading thinkers and practitioners, for Year 5 medical students in Auckland, Waikato and Whangarei.
I teach guest lectures in courses on tobacco control, clinical trials, global health and general public health.
I supervise masters and doctoral students
Director, National Institute for Health Innovation (NIHI)
Co-director, Tobacco Control Research Turanga
Convenor, Population Health Intensive
Areas of expertise
My primary area of research expertise is in tobacco control, in particular, intervention-focused research on how to help more people who smoke to quit for good.
I'm co-director of a programme of strategic and innovative tobacco control research (the NZ Tobacco Control Turanga) that is aiming to inform dramatic reductions in tobacco use prevalence in New Zealand. Read more about this research here: www.turanga.org.nz
I have a special interest in the association of tobacco smoking with both non-communicable and communicable diseases (such as TB), and the inclusion of tobacco control in health professional training (both at the undergraduate and postgraduate curricula levels).
More than 80% of the burden of tobacco-related health harm fallson people in low and middle income nations, so it is vital that research capacity is built to understand and intervene appropriately in these countries.So some of my work involves collaborations with colleagues in research centres overseas.
I'm also interested in research on 'healthy housing'. Everyone should have affordable, secure, safe and adequate housing that enhances good health. The reality is far from this.
Member, School of Population Health Management Committee
Fellow, Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine (FAFPHM), Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP)
Fellow, New Zealand College of Public Health Medicine (NZCPHM)
Member, NZ Committee, FAPHM
Chair, NZ Policy and Advisory Committeee, Royal Australasian College of Physicians
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Meltzer, L. R., Simmons, V. N., Sutton, S. K., Drobes, D. J., Quinn, G. P., Meade, C. D., ... Eissenberg, T. (2017). A randomized controlled trial of a smoking cessation self-help intervention for dual users of tobacco cigarettes and E-cigarettes: Intervention development and research design. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 60, 56-62. 10.1016/j.cct.2017.06.014
- Chen, J., Bullen, C., & Dirks, K. (2017). A comparative health risk assessment of electronic cigarettes and conventional cigarettes. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 14 (4)10.3390/ijerph14040382
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kim Dirks
- Donny, E. C., Walker, N., Hatsukami, D., & Bullen, C. (2017). Reducing the nicotine content of combusted tobacco products sold in New Zealand. Tobacco Control, 26 (e1), e37-e42. 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2016-053186
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Natalie Walker
- Walker, N., Bullen, C., Barnes, J., McRobbie, H., Tutka, P., Raw, M., ... Castaldelli-Maia, J. M. (2016). Getting cytisine licensed for use world-wide: A call to action. Addiction, 111 (11), 1895-1898. 10.1111/add.13464
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jo Barnes, Janie Sheridan, Natalie Walker
- Walker, N., Fraser, T., Howe, C., Laugesen, M., Truman, P., Parag, V., ... Bullen, C. (2015). Abrupt nicotine reduction as an endgame policy: a randomised trial. Tobacco control, 24 (e4), e251-e257. 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2014-051801
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Natalie Walker, Varsha Parag
- Walker, N., Howe, C., Glover, M., McRobbie, H., Barnes, J., Nosa, V., ... Bullen, C. (2014). Cytisine versus nicotine for smoking cessation. The New England Journal of Medicine, 371 (25), 2353-2362. 10.1056/NEJMoa1407764
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Vili Nosa, Jo Barnes, Varsha Parag, Natalie Walker
- Bullen, C. (2014). Electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation. Current cardiology reports, 16 (11)10.1007/s11886-014-0538-8
- Selak, V., Elley, C. R., Bullen, C., Crengle, S., Wadham, A., Rafter, N., ... Arroll, B. (2014). Effect of fixed dose combination treatment on adherence and risk factor control among patients at high risk of cardiovascular disease: Randomised controlled trial in primary care. BMJ, 34810.1136/bmj.g3318
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Matire Harwood, Vanessa Selak, Rob Doughty, Raina Elley, Bruce Arroll, Rodney Jackson, Richard Milne, Varsha Parag