Professor Caroline Anne Crowther
MB ChB, DCH, FRANZCOG, MD, DDU, FRCOG, CMFM
Through her professional work, Professor Crowther aims to attain the best health and well being possible for women and their babies through excellence and leadership in research, education and knowledge transfer.
Professor Crowther has extensive experience in the design, conduct and analysis of randomised clinical trials and has coordinated many large, multicentre trials that focus on the evaluation of new perinatal therapies or care practices, in collaboration with researchers in key institutions in New Zealand, Australia and overseas. These trials are recognised internationally for their high quality and have led to translation of the research into clinical practice guidelines, improving maternal and perinatal health worldwide.
Research | Current
- Research synthesis
- Randomised trials
- International maternity and child health
- Translational research
Professor Crowther has been involved in many studies that focus on areas such as therapies to improve outcomes following preterm birth, prevention of hypertensive disease, improved health outcome in multiple pregnancy, birth after caesarean and gestational diabetes.
Areas of expertise
Professor of Maternal & Perinatal Health
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Crowther, C. A., Middleton, P. F., Voysey, M., Askie, L., Duley, L., Pryde, P. G., ... AMICABLE Group (2017). Assessing the neuroprotective benefits for babies of antenatal magnesium sulphate: An individual participant data meta-analysis. PLoS Medicine, 14 (10)10.1371/journal.pmed.1002398.
- Crowther, C. A., Ashwood, P., McPhee, A. J., Flenady, V., Tran, T., Dodd, J. M., ... PROGRESS Study Group (2017). Vaginal progesterone pessaries for pregnant women with a previous preterm birth to prevent neonatal respiratory distress syndrome (the PROGRESS Study): A multicentre, randomised, placebo-controlled trial. PLoS Med, 14 (9)10.1371/journal.pmed.1002390
- Shepherd, E., Salam, R. A., Middleton, P., Makrides, M., McIntyre, S., Badawi, N., & Crowther, C. A. (2017). Antenatal and intrapartum interventions for preventing cerebral palsy: an overview of Cochrane systematic reviews. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews, 810.1002/14651858.cd012077.pub2
- Brown, J., Alwan, N. A., West, J., Brown, S., McKinlay, C. J., Farrar, D., & Crowther, C. A. (2017). Lifestyle interventions for the treatment of women with gestational diabetes. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 510.1002/14651858.cd011970.pub2
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Chris McKinlay, Julie Brown
- McKinlay, C. J. D., Cutfield, W. S., Battin, M. R., Dalziel, S. R., Crowther, C. A., Harding, J. E., & ACTORDS Follow-up Group (2017). Mid-Childhood Bone Mass After Exposure to Repeat Doses of Antenatal Glucocorticoids: A Randomized Trial. Pediatrics, 139 (5).10.1542/peds.2016-4250
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Chris McKinlay, Wayne Cutfield, Malcolm Battin, Jane Harding
- McGoldrick, E. L., Brown, J. A., Groom, K. M., & Crowther, C. A. (2017). Investigating antenatal corticosteroid clinical guideline practice at an organisational level. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 57 (1), 25-32. 10.1111/ajo.12564
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Katie Groom, Julie Brown
- Brown, J., Martis, R., Hughes, B., Rowan, J., & Crowther, C. (2017). Oral anti-diabetic pharmacological therapies for the treatment of women with gestational diabetes. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (1).10.1002/14651858.cd011967.pub2
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Julie Brown
- Okesene-Gafa, K., Li, M., Taylor, R. S., Thompson, J. M. D., Crowther, C. A., McKinlay, C. J. D., & McCowan, L. M. E. (2016). A randomised controlled demonstration trial of multifaceted nutritional intervention and or probiotics: the healthy mums and babies (HUMBA) trial. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 1610.1186/s12884-016-1149-8
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Chris McKinlay, Lesley McCowan, John Thompson, Karaponi Okesene-Gafa