Associate Professor Cameron Graham Walker
BA, BSc, MA, MOR, PhD, Certificate in University Learning and Teaching
- Senior Lecturer
I came to the Department of Engineering Science in 1998 as a Lecturer, after completing my PhD in Mathematics. I was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2006. My research interests are Network Optimization, Simulation and Statistical Modeling. I am a member of the Network Design and Simulation Group, inside the Operations Research Group at The University of Auckland.
I am currently involved in three research projects. The first project concerns the optimal design and simulation of Storage Area Networks, which is in collaboration with members of the Storage Systems Research Center at UC Santa Cruz. The second project is optimal knot placement (model selection) for fitting of regression splines, in collaboration with members of the Centre for Research into Ecological and Environmental Modeling at the University of St Andrews, Scotland. This work is primarily used for Environmental Impact Assessment of Engineering projects in Europe. The third project is optimization and statistical modelling for healthcare delivery, in collaboration with the ADHB, members of the Bioengineering Institute at The University of Auckland, and Surgeons at Starship Hospital and the Department of Orthopaedics, Auckland.
PhD in Mathematics, The University of Auckland
MOR, The University of Auckland
MA in Mathematics with 1st Class Honours, The University of Auckland
BSc in Statistics, The University of Auckland
BA in Mathematics and English, The University of Auckland
Certificate in University Learning and Teaching, The University of Auckland
Research | Current
- Graph theory and network optimisation.
- Group actions on graphs.
- Optimal design of storage area networks (SANs) using mixed-integer programming.
- Optimisation via simulation in traffic network.
- Simulation of SANs to evaluate automatic designs.
- Statistical modeling and simulation of the cardial microstructure.
- Optimal knot placement in regression splines.
- Statistical modeling for orthopaedic surgeons.
Teaching | Current
- ENGSCI 111 - Mathematical Modelling 1
- ENGSCI 211 - Mathematical Modelling 2
- ENGSCI 213 - Mathematical Modelling 2SE
- ENGSCI 313 - Mathematical Modelling 3ECE
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Best, E. J., Walls, T., Souter, M., Neeff, M., Anderson, T., Salkeld, L., ... Murdoch, D. (2016). Pneumococcal vaccine impact on otitis media microbiology: A New Zealand cohort study before and after the introduction of PHiD-CV10 vaccine. Vaccine, 34 (33), 3840-3847.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Emma Best
- Walker, C. G., O’Sullivan MJ, Ziedins, I., & Furian, N. (2016). Faster Cancer Treatment: Using timestamp data to improve patient journeys. Healthcare10.1016/j.hjdsi.2016.04.012
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ilze Ziedins, Michael O'Sullivan
- Koh, C. K., Marsh, J. P., Drinković D, Walker, C. G., & Poon, P. C. (2016). Propionibacterium acnes in primary shoulder arthroplasty: rates of colonization, patient risk factors, and efficacy of perioperative prophylaxis. Journal of shoulder and elbow surgery / American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons ... [et al.], 25 (5), 846-852.
- Chen, D., Anderson, I., Walker, C., & Besier, T. (2016). Lower Extremity Lateral Skin Stretch Perception for Haptic Feedback. IEEE transactions on haptics
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Thor Besier, Iain Anderson, Daniel Chen
- Ratouis, T. M. P., O'Sullivan MJ, Walker, C. G., & O'Sullivan JP (2016). Statistical analysis of the temperature variations in geothermal surface features using a numerical model of rotorua. 22nd European Meeting of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics, Near Surface Geoscience 2016.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Michael OSullivan, John OSullivan
- Waite, S. J., Cater, J. E., Walker, C. G., Amirapu, S., Waghorn, G. C., & Suresh, V. (2016). Passive Mechanical Properties of Ovine Rumen Tissue. International Journal for Computational Methods in Engineering Science& Mechanics, 17 (3), 156-164. 10.1080/15502287.2015.1082676
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Satya Amirapu, Vinod Suresh, John Cater
- Phillips, A. E., Walker, C. G., Ehrgott, M., & Ryan, D. M. (2016). Integer programming for minimal perturbation problems in university course timetabling. Annals of Operations Research, Online first, 1-22. 10.1007/s10479-015-2094-z
Other University of Auckland co-authors: David Ryan
- Donovan, C., Harwood, J., King, S., Booth, C., Caneco, B., & Walker, C. (2016). Expert elicitation methods in quantifying the consequences of acoustic disturbance from off-shore renewable energy developments. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology. 10.1007/978-1-4939-2981-8_27