Professor Cameron Charles Grant
MBChB, FRACP, PhD
Dr Cameron Grant is Professor at the University of Auckland and a consultant paediatrician at the Starship Children’s Hospital. He graduated MBChB from the University of Otago and PhD from the University of Auckland. Following paediatric training in Auckland Dr Grant completed his postgraduate paediatric training in the United States, firstly as a paediatric resident at Duke University Medical Center, and then as a postdoctoral fellow at the Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Hospital. He holds qualifications as a paediatrician in Australasia (Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Paediatrics) and the United States (Diplomat of the American Board of Paediatrics).
Dr Grant returned to the Johns Hopkins University in 2008 as a Fulbright Senior Scholar. In 2008 he was also awarded an overseas fellowship with the National Institute of Health Research National School of Primary Care (United Kingdom). This fellowship is based in the Department of Primary Health Care at the University of Oxford.
In addition to his clinical practice and research commitments Dr Grant’s teaching skills have been recognised with both faculty and university wide teaching awards including a University of Auckland Teaching Excellence Award for sustained excellence in teaching.
Dr Grant’s research focuses on the prevention of disease and improvement in health by immunisation or by improved nutrition. His is the Associate Director of Growing Up in New Zealand, New Zealand’s new longitudinal study (www.growingup.co.nz). In addition to this he is a lead investigator on a randomised placebo control study of vitamin D supplementation in pregnancy and infancy and an investigator on the Southern Hemisphere Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness Research and Surveillance (SHIVERS) project https://www.esr.cri.nz/home/about-esr/our-science-in-action/shivers-project/
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Lovell, A. L., Davies, P. S. W., Hill, R. J., Milne, T., Matsuyama, M., Jiang, Y., ... Grant, C. C. (2018). Compared with Cow Milk, a Growing-Up Milk Increases Vitamin D and Iron Status in Healthy Children at 2 Years of Age: The Growing-Up Milk-Lite (GUMLi) Randomized Controlled Trial. The Journal of nutrition, 148 (10), 1570-1579. 10.1093/jn/nxy167
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Clare Wall, Trecia Wouldes, Yannan Jiang
- Birring, S. S., Kavanagh, J. E., Irwin, R. S., Keogh, K. A., Lim, K. G., Ryu, J. H., & Collaborators (2018). Treatment of Interstitial Lung Disease Associated Cough: CHEST Guideline and Expert Panel Report. Chest, 154 (4), 904-917. 10.1016/j.chest.2018.06.038
- Hobbs, M. R., Grant, C. C., Thomas, M. G., Berry, S., Morton, S. M. B., Marks, E., & Ritchie, S. R. (2018). Staphylococcus aureus colonisation and its relationship with skin and soft tissue infection in New Zealand children. European journal of clinical microbiology & infectious diseases : official publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology, 37 (10), 2001-2010. 10.1007/s10096-018-3336-1
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Mark Hobbs, Emma Marks, Mark Thomas, Susan Morton, Stephen Ritchie
- Lai, H. K., Camargo, C. A., Woodward, A., Hobbs, M., Pillai, A., Morton, S. M., & Grant, C. C. (2018). Long-term exposure to neighborhood smoke from household heating and risk of respiratory and dermatological prescription medications-Growing Up in New Zealand child cohort study. Allergy10.1111/all.13615
- Dubovyi, A., Chelimo, C., Berry, S., Bisyuk, Y., & Grant, C. C. (2018). Asthma definitions in population-based birth cohorts: A review. Paper presented at Congress of the European-Academy-of-Allergy-and-Clinical-Immunology (EAACI), Munich, GERMANY. 26 May - 30 May 2018. ALLERGY. (pp. 2).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Carol Chelimo
- Teixeira, J. A., Castro, T. G., Wall, C. R., Marchioni, D. M., Berry, S., Morton, S. M., & Grant, C. C. (2018). Determinants of folic acid supplement use outside national recommendations for pregnant women: results from the Growing Up in New Zealand cohort study. Public health nutrition, 21 (12), 2183-2192. 10.1017/s1368980018000836
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Teresa Gontijo de Castro, Clare Wall, Susan Morton
- Rossen, F., Newcombe, D., Parag, V., Underwood, L., Marsh, S., Berry, S., ... Bullen, C. (2018). Alcohol consumption in New Zealand women before and during pregnancy: findings from the Growing Up in New Zealand study. NEW ZEALAND MEDICAL JOURNAL, 131 (1479), 24-34.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: David Newcombe, Susan Morton, Lisa Underwood, Chris Bullen
- Huang, Q. S., Bandaranayake, D., Wood, T., Newbern, E. C., Seeds, R., Ralston, J., ... Todd, A. (17/7/2018). Risk factors and attack rates of seasonal influenza infection: results of the SHIVERS seroepidemiologic cohort study.. The Journal of infectious diseases. 10.1093/infdis/jiy443
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nikki Turner, Barbara McArdle, Adrian Trenholme, Jazmin Duque
TAMAKI BUILDING 730 - Bldg 730
Level 3 , Room 314
TAMAKI CAMPUS GATE 1, 261 MORRIN RD
Primary office location
AUCKLAND HOSPITAL - Bldg 599
Level 12, Room 12033
2 PARK RD