Professor Cameron Charles Grant
MBChB, FRACP, PhD
Dr Cameron Grant is Professor at the University of Auckland and a general paediatrician at Starship Children’s Hospital. He graduated MBChB from the University of Otago and PhD from the University of Auckland. Following paediatric training in Auckland Dr Grant completed his postgraduate paediatric training in the United States, firstly as a paediatric resident at Duke University Medical Center, and then as a postdoctoral fellow at the Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Hospital. He holds qualifications as a paediatrician in Australasia (Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Paediatrics) and the United States (Diplomat of the American Board of Paediatrics).
Dr Grant returned to the Johns Hopkins University in 2008 as a Fulbright Senior Scholar. In 2008 he was also awarded an overseas fellowship with the National Institute of Health Research National School of Primary Care (United Kingdom). This fellowship is based in the Department of Primary Health Care at the University of Oxford.
In addition to his clinical practice and research commitments Dr Grant’s teaching skills have been recognised with both faculty and university wide teaching awards including a University of Auckland Teaching Excellence Award for sustained excellence in teaching.
Dr Grant’s research focuses on the prevention of disease and improvement in health by immunisation or through improved nutrition.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Gontijo de Castro, T., Gerritsen, S., Teixeira Araujo, J., Pillai, A., Marchioni, D., Grant, C., ... Wall, C. R. (2020). Adherence to national infant feeding guidelines is associated with child overweight/obesity and central obesity at age 54- months: results from the Growing up in New Zealand cohort study. Paper presented at ISBNPA 2020 General Meeting, Auckland, New Zealand. 17 June - 20 June 2020. ISBNPA XChange.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Sarah Gerritsen, Teresa Gontijo de Castro, Avinesh Pillai, Susan Morton, Clare Wall
- Prasad, N., Newbern, E. C., Trenholme, A. A., Wood, T., Thompson, M. G., Aminisani, N., ... Grant, C. C. (2020). Respiratory syncytial virus hospitalisations among young children: a data linkage study - Erratum. Epidemiology and infection, 14810.1017/s0950268820001612
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Adrian Trenholme
- Lovell, A. L., Davies, P. S. W., Hill, R. J., Milne, T., Matsuyama, M., Jiang, Y., ... Wall, C. R. (2020). Validation and calibration of the Eating Assessment in Toddlers FFQ (EAT FFQ) for children, used in the Growing Up Milk - Lite (GUMLi) randomised controlled trial. The British journal of nutrition, 1-11. 10.1017/s0007114520002664
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Amy Lovell, Yannan Jiang, Clare Wall
- Malesker, M. A., Callahan-Lyon, P., Madison, J. M., Ireland, B., Irwin, R. S., & CHEST Expert Cough Panel (2020). Chronic Cough Due to Stable Chronic Bronchitis: CHEST Expert Panel Report. Chest, 158 (2), 705-718. 10.1016/j.chest.2020.02.015
- Prasad, N., Trenholme, A. A., Huang, Q. S., Duque, J., Grant, C. C., & Newbern, E. C. (2020). Respiratory Virus-related Emergency Department Visits and Hospitalizations Among Infants in New Zealand. The Pediatric infectious disease journal, 39 (8), e176-e182. 10.1097/inf.0000000000002681
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jazmin Duque, Adrian Trenholme
- Thornley, S., Bach, K., Bird, A., Farrar, R., Bronte, S., Turton, B., ... Grant, C. (2020). What factors are associated with early childhood dental caries? A longitudinal study of theGrowing Up in New Zealandcohort. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PAEDIATRIC DENTISTRY10.1111/ipd.12686
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Susan Morton, Simon Thornley
- Anderson, Y. C., Wynter, L. E., O'Sullivan NA, Wild, C. E. K., Grant, C. C., Cave, T. L., ... Hofman, P. L. (2020). Two-year outcomes of Whānau Pakari, a multi-disciplinary assessment and intervention for children and adolescents with weight issues: A randomized clinical trial. Pediatric obesity10.1111/ijpo.12693
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Yvonne Anderson, Cervantee Wild, José Derraik, Paul Hofman
- Chang, A. B., Oppenheimer, J. J., Irwin, R. S., & CHEST Expert Cough Panel (2020). Managing Chronic Cough as a Symptom in Children and Management Algorithms: CHEST Guideline and Expert Panel Report. Chest, 158 (1), 303-329. 10.1016/j.chest.2020.01.042
TAMAKI BUILDING 730 - Bldg 730
Level 3 , Room 314
TAMAKI CAMPUS GATE 1, 261 MORRIN RD
Primary office location
M&HS BUILDING 507 - Bldg 507
Level 1, Room 1016
28 PARK AVE