Professor Cameron Charles Grant
MBChB, FRACP, PhD
Dr Cameron Grant is Professor at the University of Auckland and a general paediatrician at Starship Children’s Hospital. He graduated MBChB from the University of Otago and PhD from the University of Auckland. Following paediatric training in Auckland Dr Grant completed his postgraduate paediatric training in the United States, firstly as a paediatric resident at Duke University Medical Center, and then as a postdoctoral fellow at the Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Hospital. He holds qualifications as a paediatrician in Australasia (Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Paediatrics) and the United States (Diplomat of the American Board of Paediatrics).
Dr Grant returned to the Johns Hopkins University in 2008 as a Fulbright Senior Scholar. In 2008 he was also awarded an overseas fellowship with the National Institute of Health Research National School of Primary Care (United Kingdom). This fellowship is based in the Department of Primary Health Care at the University of Oxford.
In addition to his clinical practice and research commitments Dr Grant’s teaching skills have been recognised with both faculty and university wide teaching awards including a University of Auckland Teaching Excellence Award for sustained excellence in teaching.
Dr Grant’s research focuses on the prevention of disease and improvement in health by immunisation or through improved nutrition.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Chang, A. B., Oppenheimer, J. J., Kahrilas, P. J., Kantar, A., Rubin, B. K., Weinberger, M., ... CHEST Expert Cough Panel (2019). Chronic Cough and Gastroesophageal Reflux in Children: CHEST Guideline and Expert Panel Report. Chest, 156 (1), 131-140. 10.1016/j.chest.2019.03.035
- Wild, C. E., Grant, C. C., Cave, T. L., Wynter, L. E., Derraik, J. G., Willing, E. J., ... Anderson, Y. C. (2019). The importance of rurality data in understanding access to healthcare services for childhood obesity. The New Zealand medical journal, 132 (1494), 60-63.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Cervantee Wild, Paul Hofman, Yvonne Anderson, José Derraik
- Anderson, Y. C., Dolan, G. M. S., Wynter, L. E., Treves, K. F., Wouldes, T. A., Grant, C. C., ... Cutfield, W. S. (2019). Caregiver's readiness for change as a predictor of outcome and attendance in an intervention programme for children and adolescents with obesity: a secondary data analysis. BMJ open, 9 (3)10.1136/bmjopen-2018-023195
Other University of Auckland co-authors: José Derraik, Yvonne Anderson, Trecia Wouldes, Wayne Cutfield, Paul Hofman
- Lovell, A. L., Davies, P. S. W., Hill, R. J., Milne, T., Matsuyama, M., Jiang, Y., ... Wall, C. R. (2019). A comparison of the effect of a Growing Up Milk - Lite (GUMLi) v. cows' milk on longitudinal dietary patterns and nutrient intakes in children aged 12-23 months: the GUMLi randomised controlled trial. The British journal of nutrition, 121 (6), 678-687. 10.1017/s0007114518003847
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Yannan Jiang, Rachel Chen, Clare Wall, Amy Lovell
- Wall, C. R., Hill, R. J., Lovell, A. L., Matsuyama, M., Milne, T., Grant, C. C., ... Davies, P. S. W. (2019). A multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial to evaluate the effect of consuming Growing Up Milk "Lite" on body composition in children aged 12-23 mo. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 109 (3), 576-585. 10.1093/ajcn/nqy302
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Clare Wall, Yannan Jiang, Rachel Chen, Trecia Wouldes, Amy Lovell
- Teixeira, J. A., Castro, T. G., Wall, C. R., Marchioni, D. M., Berry, S., Morton, S. M., & Grant, C. C. (2019). Effects of folic acid food fortification scenarios on the folate intake of a multi-ethnic pregnant population. Public health nutrition, 22 (4), 738-749. 10.1017/s1368980018003026
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Teresa Gontijo de Castro, Clare Wall, Susan Morton
- Castro, T. G., Grant, C. C., wall, C. R., Welch, M., Marks, E., Fleming, C. J., ... Morton, S. M. (2019). Breastfeeding indicators and associations with maternal sociodemographic characteristics: Results from Growing up in New Zealand cohort study. Paper presented at Conference of the New Zealand Lactant Consultants Association 2019, Auckland, New Zealand. 22 February - 23 February 2019. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Teresa Gontijo de Castro, Emma Marks, Susan Morton
- Anderson, Y. C., Kirkpatrick, K., Dolan, G. M. S., Wouldes, T. A., Grant, C. C., Cave, T. L., ... Hofman, P. L. (2019). Do changes in weight status affect cognitive function in children and adolescents with obesity? A secondary analysis of a clinical trial. BMJ open, 9 (2)10.1136/bmjopen-2018-021586
Other University of Auckland co-authors: José Derraik, Yvonne Anderson, Trecia Wouldes, Cervantee Wild, Wayne Cutfield, Paul Hofman
TAMAKI BUILDING 730 - Bldg 730
Level 3 , Room 314
TAMAKI CAMPUS GATE 1, 261 MORRIN RD
Primary office location
AUCKLAND HOSPITAL - Bldg 599
Level 12, Room 12033
2 PARK RD