Professor Cameron Charles Grant
MBChB, FRACP, PhD
Dr. Cameron Grant is an Associate Professor at the University of Auckland and a consultant paediatrician at the Starship Children’s Hospital. He graduated MBChB from the University of Otago and PhD from the University of Auckland. Following paediatric training in Auckland Dr. Grant completed his postgraduate paediatric training in the United States, firstly as a paediatric resident at Duke University Medical Center, and then as a postdoctoral fellow at the Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Hospital. He holds qualifications as a paediatrician in Australasia (Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Paediatrics) and the United States (Diplomat of the American Board of Paediatrics).
Dr. Grant returned to the Johns Hopkins University in 2008 as a Fulbright Senior Scholar. In 2008 he was also awarded an overseas fellowship with the National Institute of Health Research National School of Primary Care (United Kingdom). This fellowship is based in the Department of Primary Health Care at the University of Oxford.
In addition to his clinical practice and research commitments Dr. Grant’s teaching skills have been recognised with both faculty and university wide teaching awards including a University of Auckland Teaching Excellence Award for sustained excellence in teaching.
Dr. Grant’s research focuses on the prevention of disease and improvement in health by immunisation or by improved nutrition. His is the Associate Director of Growing Up in New Zealand, New Zealand’s new longitudinal study (www.growingup.co.nz). In addition to this he is a lead investigator on a randomised placebo control study of vitamin D supplementation in pregnancy and infancy and an investigator on the Southern Hemisphere Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness Research and Surveillance (SHIVERS) project http://www.esr.cri.nz/competencies/shivers/Pages/default.aspx.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Jensen, B. P., Saraf, R., Ma, J., Berry, S., Grant, C. C., Camargo, C. A., & Sies, C. W. (2018). Quantitation of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in dried blood spots by 2D LC-MS/MS without derivatization and correlation with serum in adult and pediatric studies. Clinica chimica acta; international journal of clinical chemistry10.1016/j.cca.2018.02.024
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rajneeta Saraf
- Berry, S. D., Walker, C. G., Ly, K., Snell, R. G., Atatoa Carr, P. E., Bandara, D., ... Morton, S. M. B. (2018). Re: "Widespread prevalence of a CREBRF variant amongst Māori and Pacific children is associated with weight and height in early childhood". International journal of obesity (2005)10.1038/s41366-018-0026-0
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Emma Marks, Susan Morton, Caroline Walker, Teresa Gontijo de Castro, Russell Snell
- Mazahery, H., Camargo, C. A., Cairncross, C., Houghton, L. A., Grant, C. C., Coad, J., ... von Hurst, P. R. (2018). Type of cows' milk consumption and relationship to health predictors in New Zealand preschool children. N Z Med J, 131 (1468), 54-68.
- Wong, S. S., Oshansky, C. M., Guo, X. Z. J., Ralston, J., Wood, T., Seeds, R., ... Widdowson, M. A. (2018). Severe Influenza Is Characterized by Prolonged Immune Activation: Results from the SHIVERS Cohort Study. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 217 (2), 245-256. 10.1093/infdis/jix571
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jazmin Duque
- Castro, T. G., Grant, C. C., Wall, C. R., Welch, M., Marks, E., Fleming, C., ... Morton, S. M. B. (2017). Breastfeeding indicators among a nationally representative multi-ethnic sample of New Zealand children. New Zealand Medical Journal, 130 (1466), 34-44.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Teresa Gontijo de Castro, Emma Marks, Susan Morton, Catherine Gilchrist, Clare Wall
- Raoof, N., Pereira, S., Dai, S., Neutze, J., Grant, C. C., & Kelly, P. (2017). Retinal haemorrhage in infants with pertussis. Arch Dis Child, 102 (12), 1158-1160. 10.1136/archdischild-2017-313380
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Patrick Kelly
- Lai, H. K., Berry, S. D., Verbiest, M. E. A., Tricker, P. J., Atatoa Carr, P. E., Morton, S. M. B., & Grant, C. C. (2017). Emergency department visits of young children and long-term exposure to neighbourhood smoke from household heating - The Growing Up in New Zealand child cohort study. Environ Pollut, 231 (Pt 1), 533-540. 10.1016/j.envpol.2017.08.035
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Susan Morton, Marjolein Verbiest, Hakkan Lai
- Anderson, Y. C., Wynter, L. E., Grant, C. C., Cave, T. L., Derraik, J. G. B., Cutfield, W. S., & Hofman, P. L. (2017). A Novel Home-Based Intervention for Child and Adolescent Obesity: The Results of the Whānau Pakari Randomized Controlled Trial. Obesity (Silver Spring, Md.), 25 (11), 1965-1973. 10.1002/oby.21967
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Yvonne Anderson, José Derraik, Wayne Cutfield, Paul Hofman
TAMAKI BUILDING 730 - Bldg 730
Level 3 , Room 314
TAMAKI CAMPUS GATE 1, 261 MORRIN RD
AUCKLAND HOSPITAL - Bldg 599
Level 12, Room 12033
2 PARK RD