Dr Karaponi Aitaua Matapule Okesene-Gafa
MB ChB, DiP O&G, FRANZCOG
Born in Niue Island, went to Samoa age 1 year, brought up there by grandparents Dr Moananu and Mrs Matelina Okesene. Of 3 ethnicities, Niuean, Samoan and Manihiki (Cook Is). Education in Samoa up to college level, migrated to NZ to do 7th form following which was accepted to Otago University to do Medicine. After graduating as a doctor, started working a junior doctor in Auckland hospital, then transferred to National Womens hospital and started specialising in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Final 2 years of training was completed in Wellington Womens hospital, transferred back to Auckland National Womens hospital and then to Middlemore department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. After 2 years with CMDHB, was seconded to Niue Island from CMDHB to be the director of Health for the Niue Foou Hospital for 2 years. Returned to Middlemore Hospital and after a couple of years took up the diabetes in pregnancy clinician lead role, at the same time was involved with the National Gynaecological cancer foundation. After 2 years in these roles decided to make some changes and pursue part time postgraduate studies and research, be involved with student teaching as a senior lecturer, department of O&G University of Auckland, as well as continue involvement with TAHA on an advisory role. Continuing to juggle family life (husband and 3 children) and enjoying my part time university and clinical roles.
Research | Current
Knowledge and beliefs of pregnant CMDHB women to nutrition and exercise during pregnancy
Teaching | Current
5th Year medical students teaching and OSCE
Professor Lesley McCowan
University duties (0.5FTE UoA)
- Involved with 5th year Medical Students Teaching.
- Awaiting funding for a Research: "HUMBA - Healthy Mums and babies"
Clinical duties (0.5FTE CMDHB)
- Working in the Diabetes in pregnancy clinics
- Acute on call
Areas of expertise
Obstetrics (& gynaecology), diabetes in pregnancy.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Okesene-Gafa, K., Li, M., Taylor, R. S., Thompson, J. M. D., Crowther, C. A., McKinlay, C. J. D., & McCowan, L. M. E. (2018). Correction to: A randomised controlled demonstration trial of multifaceted nutritional intervention and or probiotics: the healthy mums and babies (HUMBA) trial. BMC pregnancy and childbirth, 18 (1)10.1186/s12884-018-1792-3
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Caroline Crowther, Rennae Taylor, John Thompson, Chris McKinlay, Lesley McCowan
- Culliney, K., McCowan, L. M. E., Okesene-Gafa, K., Murphy, R., Rowan, J., Taylor, R. S., ... HUMBA Study Group (2018). Accuracy of point-of-care HbA1c testing in pregnant women. The Australian & New Zealand journal of obstetrics & gynaecology10.1111/ajo.12786
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Chris McKinlay, Lesley McCowan, Rinki Murphy, Rennae Taylor
- Okesene-Gafa, K., & Brown, K. (2017). Quality improvement issues for indigenous peoples of Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific. Paper presented at RANZCOG 2017 Annual Scientific Meeting, Auckland, New Zealand. 29 October - 1 November 2017. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. (pp. 1). 10.1111/ajo.12723
- Okesene-Gafa, K., & Brown, K. (2017). Quality Improvement Issues for Indigenous Peoples of Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific. AUSTRALIAN & NEW ZEALAND JOURNAL OF OBSTETRICS & GYNAECOLOGY. (pp. 1).
- Naiqiso, S., Christensen, P., Okesene-Gafa, K., & Mccowan, L. (2017). Gestational Weight Gain in Counties Manukau and Pregnancy Outcomes. AUSTRALIAN & NEW ZEALAND JOURNAL OF OBSTETRICS & GYNAECOLOGY. (pp. 1).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lesley McCowan
- Cronin, R. S., Chelimo, C., Mitchell, E. A., Okesene-Gafa, K., Thompson, J., Taylor, R. S., ... McCowan, L. M. E. (2017). Modification of Maternal Sleep Position to Optimise Fetal Well-being in Late Pregnancy: A Survey in a Multicultural New Zealand Region. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health. 10.1111/jmwh.12689
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Robin Cronin, Carol Chelimo, Edwin Mitchell, Rennae Taylor, Lesley McCowan, John Thompson
- Cronin, R. S., Chelimo, C., Mitchell, E. A., Okesene-Gafa, K., Thompson, J. M. D., Taylor, R. S., ... McCowan, L. M. E. (2017). Survey of maternal sleep practices in late pregnancy in a multi-ethnic sample in South Auckland, New Zealand. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 1710.1186/s12884-017-1378-5
Other University of Auckland co-authors: John Thompson, Robin Cronin, Carol Chelimo, Edwin Mitchell, Rennae Taylor, Lesley McCowan
- Okesene-Gafa, K., Li, M., Taylor, R. S., Thompson, J. M. D., McKinlay, C. J. D., Crowther, C. A., & McCowan, L. M. E. (8/3/2017). The Healthy Mums and Babies (HUMBA) randomised controlled demonstration trial protocol. Poster presented at DIP 2017: 9th international Symposium on Diabetes, Hypertension, Metabolic Syndrome and Pregnancy, Barcelona, Spain.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: John Thompson, Chris McKinlay, Lesley McCowan, Rennae Taylor, Caroline Crowther