Dr Derryn Ann Gargiulo
MPharm Clinical, PhD
Research | Current
- IV drug administration during anaesthesia
- Aseptic compounding and validation
- Pharmaceutical microbiology
- Ophthalmic medicinal compounding
- Palliative medicine
Aseptic dispensing to pharmacy undergraduates and current pharmacy professionals in community, industry and hospital also to related health disciplines.
Areas of expertise
Aseptic dispensing, training and validation.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Merry, A. F., Gargiulo, D. A., Bissett, I., Cumin, D., English, K., Frampton, C., ... Reid, P. (2019). The effect of implementing an aseptic practice bundle for anaesthetists to reduce postoperative infections, the Anaesthetists Be Cleaner (ABC) study: protocol for a stepped wedge, cluster randomised, multi-site trial. Trials, 20 (1)10.1186/s13063-019-3402-8
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Papaarangi Reid, Alan Merry, David Cumin, Siouxsie Wiles, Simon Mitchell, Jane Torrie, Jacqueline Hannam, Simon Young, Matthew Moore, Ian Bissett, Janie Sheridan, Jacob Munro
- Medvedev, O. N., Merry, A. F., Skilton, C., Gargiulo, D. A., Mitchell, S. J., & Weller, J. M. (2019). Examining reliability of WHOBARS: a tool to measure the quality of administration of WHO surgical safety checklist using generalisability theory with surgical teams from three New Zealand hospitals. BMJ open, 9 (1)10.1136/bmjopen-2018-022625
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alan Merry, Jennifer Weller, Simon Mitchell
- Weller, J. M., Jowsey, T., Skilton, C., Gargiulo, D. A., Medvedev, O. N., Civil, I., ... Merry, A. F. (2018). Improving the quality of administration of the Surgical Safety Checklist: a mixed methods study in New Zealand hospitals. BMJ open, 8 (12)10.1136/bmjopen-2018-022882
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jennifer Weller, Tanisha Jowsey, Ian Civil, Alan Merry, Simon Mitchell, Jane Torrie, Jacqueline Hannam
- Merry, A. F., Gargiulo, D. A., & Fry, L. E. (2017). What are we injecting with our drugs?. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, 45 (5), 539-542.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alan Merry
- Gargiulo, D., Merry, A. F., Sheridan, J., & Webster, C. S. (2016). Chasing Micro - Organisms from a Simulated Operating Theatre to the Clinical Anaesthesia Environment. Paper presented at New Zealand Association of Clinical Research 12th Conference: Clincial Excellence, Auckland, New Zealand. 18 August - 19 August 2016.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alan Merry, Janie Sheridan, Craig Webster
- Gargiulo, D. A., Mitchell, S. J., Sheridan, J., Short, T. G., Swift, S., Torrie, J., ... Merry, A. F. (2016). Microbiological contamination of drugs during their administration for anesthesia in the operating room. Anesthesiology, 124 (4), 785-794. 10.1097/ALN.0000000000001041
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Janie Sheridan, Jane Torrie, Craig Webster, Alan Merry, Simon Swift, Simon Mitchell
- Falconer, J. R., Wu, Z., Lau, H., Suen, J., Wang, L., Pottinger, S., ... Gargiulo, D. A. (2014). An investigation into the stability and sterility of citric acid solutions used for cough reflex testing. Dysphagia, 29 (5), 622-628. 10.1007/s00455-014-9558-1
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Zimei Wu, Darren Svirskis, Simon Swift
- Gargiulo, D. A., Chemal, C., Joda, L., Lee, Y. J., Pilkington, M., Haywood, A., & Garg, S. (2013). Extemporaneous compounding in veterinary practice: A New Zealand perspective. New Zealand Veterinary Journal, 61 (6), 311-315. 10.1080/00480169.2013.773853
- Media Contact
Primary office location
M&HS BUILDING 507 - Bldg 507
Level 1, Room 1003
28 PARK AVE