Dr Derryn Ann Gargiulo
MPharm Clinical, PhD
Research | Current
- IV drug administration during anaesthesia
- Aseptic compounding and validation
- Pharmaceutical microbiology
- Ophthalmic medicinal compounding
- Palliative medicine
Aseptic dispensing to pharmacy undergraduates and current pharmacy professionals in community, industry and hospital also to related health disciplines.
Areas of expertise
Aseptic dispensing, training and validation.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Merry, A. F., Gargiulo, D. A., & Fry, L. E. (2017). What are we injecting with our drugs?. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, 45 (5), 539-542.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alan Merry
- Gargiulo, D. A., Mitchell, S. J., Sheridan, J., Short, T. G., Swift, S., Torrie, J., ... Merry, A. F. (2016). In Reply. Anesthesiology, 125 (4), 820-821. 10.1097/ALN.0000000000001252
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jane Torrie, Craig Webster, Alan Merry, Simon Swift, Simon Mitchell, Janie Sheridan
- Gargiulo, D., Merry, A. F., Sheridan, J., & Webster, C. S. (2016). Chasing Micro - Organisms from a Simulated Operating Theatre to the Clinical Anaesthesia Environment. Paper presented at New Zealand Association of Clinical Research 12th Conference: Clincial Excellence, Auckland, New Zealand. 18 August - 19 August 2016.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alan Merry, Janie Sheridan, Craig Webster
- Gargiulo, D. A., Mitchell, S. J., Sheridan, J., Short, T. G., Swift, S., Torrie, J., ... Merry, A. F. (2016). Microbiological contamination of drugs during their administration for anesthesia in the operating room. Anesthesiology, 124 (4), 785-794. 10.1097/ALN.0000000000001041
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Janie Sheridan, Jane Torrie, Craig Webster, Alan Merry, Simon Swift, Simon Mitchell
- Falconer, J. R., Wu, Z., Lau, H., Suen, J., Wang, L., Pottinger, S., ... Gargiulo, D. A. (2014). An investigation into the stability and sterility of citric acid solutions used for cough reflex testing. Dysphagia, 29 (5), 622-628. 10.1007/s00455-014-9558-1
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Zimei Wu, Darren Svirskis, Simon Swift
- Gargiulo, D. A., Chemal, C., Joda, L., Lee, Y. J., Pilkington, M., Haywood, A., & Garg, S. (2013). Extemporaneous compounding in veterinary practice: A New Zealand perspective. New Zealand Veterinary Journal, 61 (6), 311-315. 10.1080/00480169.2013.773853
- Gargiulo, D., Sheridan, J. L., Webster, C., Swift, S., Torrie, J., Weller, J., ... Merry, A. (2012). Anaesthetic drug administration as a potential contributor to healthcare-associated infections: A prospective simulation-based evaluation of aseptic techniques in the administration of anaesthetic drugs. BMJ Quality and Safety, 21 (10), 826-834. 10.1136/bmjqs-2012-000814
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jennifer Weller, Alan Merry, Simon Swift, Craig Webster, Janie Sheridan, Jacqueline Hannam, Jane Torrie