Associate Professor David Paul Grinlinton
BA, LLB (Hons), LLM; Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
David Grinlinton has been with the Faculty since 1990 having previously spent time in legal practice.
David's teaching and research interests include real property law, mining, energy and natural resources law. He has published widely in these areas, and is a regular presenter at both local and international conferences and symposia.
David is also a Founding Member of the New Zealand Centre for Environmental Law which is based in the Faculty and is a member of the editorial board of the New Zealand Journal of Environmental Law.
Research | Current
- Land law, commercial leases
- Property rights and natural resources
- Energy and mining law
- Environmental enforcement
- Interrelationship between property rights and environmental law
- Sustainable energy and wind farm developments
Teaching | Current
- Law 301 Land Law
- Law 421 Energy and Natural Resources Law
- Law 705 Commercial Leases
- Law 713 Mining, Energy and Natural Resources Law
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Grinlinton, D. P. (2017). Tenant liability for negligent damage following Holler v Osaki. New Zealand Universities Law Review, 27 (3), 625-653. Related URL.
- Grinlinton, D. (2016). Horizontal and Vertical Integration of Sustainability into Policymaking, Planning and Implementation of Renewable Energy Projects—The New Zealand Model. In V. Mauerhofer (Ed.) Legal Aspects of Sustainable Development: Horizontal and Sectorial Policy Issues (pp. 423-448). Switzerland: Springer International Publishing. 10.1007/978-3-319-26021-1_21
- Salmon, P. M., & Grinlinton, D. P. (Eds.) (2015). Environmental Law in New Zealand (1st). Wellington: Thomson Reuters. Pages: 1152. Related URL.
- Palmer, K., & Grinlinton, D. (2014). Developments in Renewable Energy Law and Policy in New Zealand. Journal of Energy & Natural Resources Law, 32 (3), 245-272. 10.1080/02646811.2014.11435362
- Grinlinton, D. P. (2013). Property Rights, Expropriation and Public Works. Resource Management Bulletin, 10 (4), 40-44.
- Grinlinton, D. P. (2013). Integrating Sustainability into Environmental Law and Policy in New Zealand. In K. Bosselmann, D. P. Grinlinton, P. Taylor (Eds.) Environmental Law for a Sustainable Society. Auckland, N.Z.: New Zealand Centre for Environmental Law.
- Grinlinton, D. P. (2012). Residential Tenancies: The Law and Practice (4th edition). Wellington, N.Z.: Lexis Nexis New Zealand. Pages: 372. Related URL.
- Grinlinton, D. P., & Nolan, P. (2012). The Workings of the Property Law Act: 4 years on. Wellington, N.Z.: New Zealand Law Society, Family Law Section and Property Law Section. Pages: 103.