Associate Professor David Benjamin Menkes
David is an academic psychiatrist with a background in psychology and pharmacology (PhD 1983, Yale), and a continuing interest in the optimal use and toxicology of drug treatments in psychiatry.
Research | Current
- Toxicology of drug treatments in psychiatry
- Adverse effects of antidepressants and antipsychotics
- Metabolic syndrome in psychiatric patients
- Disease mongering and medical practice
- Doctors, nurses, and the pharmaceutical industry
David is currently working on a programme to monitor and manage the metabolic consequences of antipsychotic treatment.
He is also involved in studies of doctors' and nurses' interaction with the pharmaceutical industry, and attempting to develop workable policies to ensure such interactions serve the interests of patients and evidence-based healthcare.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Menkes, D. B., & Dharmawardene, V. (2019). Anti-psychiatry in 2019, and why it matters. The Australian and New Zealand journal of psychiatry, 53 (9), 921-922. 10.1177/0004867419868791
- Menkes, D. B. (2019). Financial transparency: necessary but not sufficient. BMJ (Clinical research ed.), 36510.1136/bmj.l4149
- Menkes, D. B. (2019). The double edged sword of medicalising cannabis. BMJ (Clinical research ed.), 36510.1136/bmj.l4066
- Lexchin, J., & Menkes, D. B. (2019). Can direct-to-consumer advertising of prescription drugs be effectively regulated?. The New Zealand medical journal, 132 (1496), 59-65.
- Dharmawardene, V., & Menkes, D. B. (2019). Responding to the UN Special Rapporteur's anti-psychiatry bias. The Australian and New Zealand journal of psychiatry, 53 (4), 282-283. 10.1177/0004867418818359
- Nauta, K., Boenink, A. D., Wimalaratne, I. K., Menkes, D. B., Mellsop, G., & Broekman, B. (2019). Attitudes of general hospital consultants towards psychosocial and psychiatric problems in Netherlands. Psychology, health & medicine, 24 (4), 402-413. 10.1080/13548506.2018.1546020
- Menkes, D. B. (2019). What keeps corporate power hidden from doctors?. BMJ (Clinical research ed.), 36410.1136/bmj.l1031
- Braillon, A., Lexchin, J., Noble, J. H., Menkes, D., M'sahli L, Fierlbeck, K., ... Naudet, F. (2019). Challenging the promotion of antidepressants for nonsevere depression. Acta psychiatrica Scandinavica, 139 (3), 294-295. 10.1111/acps.13010