Associate Professor David Benjamin Menkes
David is an academic psychiatrist with a background in psychology and pharmacology (PhD 1983, Yale), and a continuing interest in the optimal use and toxicology of drug treatments in psychiatry.
Research | Current
- Toxicology of drug treatments in psychiatry
- Adverse effects of antidepressants and antipsychotics
- Metabolic syndrome in psychiatric patients
- Disease mongering and medical practice
- Doctors, nurses, and the pharmaceutical industry
David is currently working on a programme to monitor and manage the metabolic consequences of antipsychotic treatment.
He is also involved in studies of doctors' and nurses' interaction with the pharmaceutical industry, and attempting to develop workable policies to ensure such interactions serve the interests of patients and evidence-based healthcare.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Goldspink, R., Pumipi, T., Dey, S., & Menkes, D. B. (2020). Sodium valproate prescription to women of childbearing age in a New Zealand inpatient psychiatric unit. Australasian psychiatry : bulletin of Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists, 28 (5), 555-558. 10.1177/1039856220934317
- Tsai, B. C. H., & Menkes, D. B. (2020). New Zealand doctors and euthanasia—legal and practical considerations of the End of Life Choice Act. New Zealand Medical Journal, 133 (1522), 149-160. Related URL.
- Menkes, D. B., & Hoeh, N. (2020). High time to decide. New Zealand Medical Journal, 133 (1522), 183-184. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nicholas Hoeh
- Menkes, D. B., Dharmawardene, V., & Jureidini, J. N. (2019). What is, and isn't, anti-psychiatry -- and why it matters in 2019 [Workshop]. Paper presented at Australasian Association of Bioethics & Health Law and New Zealand Bioethics Conference, University of Otago, Dunedin. 20 November - 23 November 2019. Related URL.
- Menkes, D., & Dharmawardene, V. (2019). Anti-psychiatry in 2019, and why it matters. Paper presented at RANZCP 2019 NZ Conference, Nelson, NZ. 18 September - 20 September 2019.
- Menkes, D. (2019). Conflicts of interest a threat to health. https://www.newsroom.co.nz/@ideasroom/2019/09/06/788218/conflicts-of-interest-a-threat-to-health. Related URL.
- Menkes, D. B., & Dharmawardene, V. (2019). Anti-psychiatry in 2019, and why it matters. The Australian and New Zealand journal of psychiatry, 53 (9), 921-922. 10.1177/0004867419868791
- Menkes, D. (2019). NZ needs to join the rest of the world and ban prescription medicine ads. https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/19-08-2019/why-we-should-ban-mainstream-advertising-of-prescription-medicines/. Related URL.
- Media Contact
Primary office location
PETER ROTHWELL ACADEMIC CENTRE - Bldg 695
Level 0, Room 001
WAIKATO HOSPITAL SELWYN ST