Professor David Cameron-Smith
Professor Cameron-Smith obtained his PhD in nutritional biochemistry from Deakin University, Australia. He undertook postdoctoral training at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, investigating endocrine disturbances and lipid metabolism in obesity. Returning to Deakin University, he established a clinical research programme focusing on the dynamic gene and signaling responses to nutrition and exercise.
His appointment to the Chair in Nutrition at The University of Auckland complements the diverse nutritional research interests within the Liggins Institute and adds to the strategic growth of the University’s trans-disciplinary Food and Health Programme.
Research | Current
Understanding how nutrition regulates genes and the biochemical pathways that are essential for optimal human health. Research is directed towards understanding:
- The importance of nutrition in the maintenance of optimal health in an ageing population.
- The impact of nutrition in regulating the function of muscles to promote muscle growth and minimize fat gain.
- Where nutrients go after a meal and how these nutrients control genes and regulate metabolism.
Teaching | Current
Teaching in several papers, including:
- BIOSCI 358 Nutrition, Diet and Gene Interactions
- MEDSCI 710 – Nutrition Mechanisms
- MEDSCI 712 – Critical Evaluation of Nutritional Therapies
New Zealand - with researchers at Massey University, Plant and Food Research, The National Research Centre for Growth and Development, School of Biological Sciences University of Auckland.
Australia - with Deakin University, University of South Australia, Edith Cowen University, RMIT (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) University, LaTrobe University, Victoria University (Melbourne), Queensland Academy of Sport (QAS) and the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS).
Further International collaborations include Wayne State University (USA), McMaster University (Canada) and University of Vienna (Austria).
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Milan, A. M., Pundir, S., Pileggi, C. A., Markworth, J. F., Lewandowski, P. A., & Cameron-Smith, D. (2017). Comparisons of the Postprandial Inflammatory and Endotoxaemic Responses to Mixed Meals in Young and Older Individuals: A Randomised Trial. Nutrients, 9 (4), 354-354. 10.3390/nu9040354
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Amber Milan, Shikha Pundir
- Pundir, S., Wall, C. R., Mitchell, C. J., Thorstensen, E. B., Lai, C. T., Geddes, D. T., & Cameron-Smith, D. (2017). Variation of Human Milk Glucocorticoids over 24 hour Period. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia, 22 (1), 85-92. 10.1007/s10911-017-9375-x
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Clare Wall, Eric Thorstensen
- Figueiredo, V. C., Markworth, J. F., & Cameron-Smith, D. (2017). Considerations on mTOR regulation at serine 2448: implications for muscle metabolism studies. Cell Mol Life Sci10.1007/s00018-017-2481-5
- Swinburn, B., Vandevijvere, S., Woodward, A., Hornblow, A., Richardson, A., Burlingame, B., ... Arroll, B. (2017). Proposed new industry code on unhealthy food marketing to children and young people: will it make a difference?. N Z Med J, 130 (1450), 94-101.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Simon Denny, Boyd Swinburn, Stefanie Vandevijvere, Alistair Woodward, Cameron Grant, Christopher Bullen, Clare Wall, Cliona Ni Mhurchu, David Menkes, Diana Lennon, Lesley McCowan, Mark Elwood, Papaarangi Reid, Peter Davis, Rob Doughty, Robert Scragg, Rodney Jackson, Shanthi Ameratunga, Susan Wells, Timothy Cundy
- Albert, B. B., Derraik, J. G. B., Garg, M. L., Cameron-Smith, D., & Cutfield, W. S. (2017). Concerns with the Study on Australian and New Zealand Fish Oil Products by Nichols et al. (Nutrients 2016, 8, 703). Nutrients, 9 (2).10.3390/nu9020137
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ben Albert, José Derraik, Wayne Cutfield
- Mitchell, C. J., D'Souza RF, Zeng, N., McGregor, R. A., Fanning, A. C., Poppitt, S. D., & Cameron-Smith, D. (2016). Understanding the sensitivity of muscle protein synthesis to dairy protein in middle-aged men. International Dairy Journal, 63, 35-41. 10.1016/j.idairyj.2016.07.008
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Sally Poppitt, Cameron Mitchell
- Hansji, H., Leung, E. Y., Baguley, B. C., Finlay, G. J., Cameron-Smith, D., Figueiredo, V. C., & Askarian-Amiri, M. E. (2016). ZFAS1: a long noncoding RNA associated with ribosomes in breast cancer cells. Biology Direct, 1110.1186/s13062-016-0165-y
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Graeme Finlay, Euphemia Leung, Bruce Baguley, Marjan Askarian Amiri
- Pileggi, C. A., Hedges, C. P., Segovia, S. A., Markworth, J. F., Durainayagam, B. R., Gray, C., ... Hickey, A. J. R. (2016). Maternal High Fat Diet Alters Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Catalytic Activity in Adult Male Rat Offspring. Frontiers in Physiology, 7.10.3389/fphys.2016.00546
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Clare Reynolds, Mark Vickers, Tony Hickey