Professor David Cameron-Smith
Professor Cameron-Smith obtained his PhD in nutritional biochemistry from Deakin University, Australia. He undertook postdoctoral training at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, investigating endocrine disturbances and lipid metabolism in obesity. Returning to Deakin University, he established a clinical research programme focusing on the dynamic gene and signaling responses to nutrition and exercise.
His appointment to the Chair in Nutrition at The University of Auckland complements the diverse nutritional research interests within the Liggins Institute and adds to the strategic growth of the University’s trans-disciplinary Food and Health Programme.
Research | Current
Understanding how nutrition regulates genes and the biochemical pathways that are essential for optimal human health. Research is directed towards understanding:
- The importance of nutrition in the maintenance of optimal health in an ageing population.
- The impact of nutrition in regulating the function of muscles to promote muscle growth and minimize fat gain.
- Where nutrients go after a meal and how these nutrients control genes and regulate metabolism.
Teaching | Current
Teaching in several papers, including:
- BIOSCI 358 Nutrition, Diet and Gene Interactions
- MEDSCI 710 – Nutrition Mechanisms
- MEDSCI 712 – Critical Evaluation of Nutritional Therapies
New Zealand - with researchers at Massey University, Plant and Food Research, The National Research Centre for Growth and Development, School of Biological Sciences University of Auckland.
Australia - with Deakin University, University of South Australia, Edith Cowen University, RMIT (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) University, LaTrobe University, Victoria University (Melbourne), Queensland Academy of Sport (QAS) and the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS).
Further International collaborations include Wayne State University (USA), McMaster University (Canada) and University of Vienna (Austria).
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Galante, L., Milan, A. M., Reynolds, C. M., Cameron-Smith, D., Vickers, M. H., & Pundir, S. (2018). Sex-Specific Human Milk Composition: The Role of Infant Sex in Determining Early Life Nutrition. Nutrients, 10 (9).10.3390/nu10091194
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Laura Galante, Amber Milan, Clare Reynolds, Mark Vickers, Shikha Pundir
- Zeng, N., D'Souza RF, Mitchell, C. J., & Cameron-Smith, D. (2018). Sestrins are differentially expressed with age in the skeletal muscle of men: A cross-sectional analysis. Experimental gerontology, 110, 23-34. 10.1016/j.exger.2018.05.006
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Cameron Mitchell, Nina Zeng, Randall DSouza
- Pileggi, C. A., Hedges, C. P., D'Souza RF, Durainayagam, B. R., Markworth, J. F., Hickey, A. J. R., ... Cameron-Smith, D. (2018). Exercise recovery increases skeletal muscle H2O2 emission and mitochondrial respiratory capacity following two-weeks of limb immobilization. Free radical biology & medicine, 124, 241-248. 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2018.06.012
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Chris Hedges, Randall DSouza, Tony Hickey, Cameron Mitchell
- Markworth, J. F., D'Souza RF, Aasen, K. M. M., Mitchell, S. M., Durainayagam, B. R., Sinclair, A. J., ... Cameron-Smith, D. (2018). Arachidonic acid supplementation transiently augments the acute inflammatory response to resistance exercise in trained men. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), 125 (2), 271-286. 10.1152/japplphysiol.00169.2018
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Cameron Mitchell, Randall DSouza
- Franzke, B., Neubauer, O., Cameron-Smith, D., & Wagner, K.-H. (2018). Dietary Protein, Muscle and Physical Function in the Very Old. Nutrients, 10 (7).10.3390/nu10070935
- Bloomfield, F. H., Harding, J. E., Meyer, M. P., Alsweiler, J. M., Jiang, Y., Wall, C. R., ... DIAMOND Study Group (2018). The DIAMOND trial - DIfferent Approaches to MOderate & late preterm Nutrition: Determinants of feed tolerance, body composition and development: protocol of a randomised trial. BMC pediatrics, 18 (1)10.1186/s12887-018-1195-7
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Frank Bloomfield, Jane Harding, Jane Alsweiler, Yannan Jiang, Clare Wall, Caroline Crowther, Justin O'Sullivan, Tanith Alexander
- Pundir, S., Mäkelä J, Nuora, A., Junttila, N., Wall, C. R., Linderborg, K., ... Lagström H (2018). Maternal influences on the glucocorticoid concentrations of human milk: The STEPS study. Clinical Nutrition10.1016/j.clnu.2018.06.980
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Clare Wall
- Bermingham, E. N., Reis, M. G., Subbaraj, A. K., Cameron-Smith, D., Fraser, K., Jonker, A., & Craigie, C. R. (2018). Distribution of fatty acids and phospholipids in different table cuts and co-products from New Zealand pasture-fed Wagyu-dairy cross beef cattle. Meat science, 140, 26-37. 10.1016/j.meatsci.2018.02.012