Dr Diana Feick
Dr. phil. (Leipzig, Germany); Magister Artium (Leipzig, Germany)
Dr Diana Feick is Senior Lecturer in German and Applied Linguistics at the University of Auckland. After gaining her Masters from the University of Leipzig in 2004, Diana was Lecturer of German as a Foreign Language at the National University of Colombia in Bogotá. She completed her PhD in 2015 at the University of Leipzig. Diana has arrived in 2017 from Austria, where she held a post-doc position in German as a Foreign and Second Language at the University of Vienna. So far, her vocation as a German teacher trainer has taken her to countries like Benin, Chile, Colombia, Egypt, Greece, Mexcio, Spain, Togo, the UK and Vietnam.
Research | Current
- Teaching and learning of German as a second/foreign language
- Mobile learning
- Digital media
- Learner autonomy
- Classroom interaction research
Teaching | Current
LANGTCHG 304 The Young Second Language Learner
I welcome inquiries from prospective students who are interested in topics related to my general research interests.
Irvine, Melissa (2020). An emerging language variety in St. Lucia. (co-supervisor)
Rietze, Julia (in progress). Motivation, identity and the affective domain in narratives of German family heritage language users in New Zealand. (co-supervisor)
Rana Shamsi, Uzma (in progress). Mobile assisted language learning in the Pakistani context. (co-supervisor)
Lim, Jongyun (in progress). Teaching and learning reading in EFL via videoconferencing
Sun, Yu (in progress). The implementation of CLT and TBLT for Chinese learners of English as a foreign language.
Discipline convener of German and Russian
Undergraduate Adviser of German
Member of the CLL research committee
Board member of the Arts Scholars program
Areas of expertise
- German as a second/foreign language
- Language teacher education
- Digital media in foreign language learning
Member of the Arts Scholars Board
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Biebighäuser, K, & Feick, D. (2020). Rahmenbedingungen, Einflussfaktoren, Funktionen und Potenziale von digitalen Medien in Deutsch als Fremd- und Zweitsprache (Frameworks, influencing factors, functions and potencials of digital media in German as a foreign and second language). In Biebighäuser, K, Feick, Diana (Eds.) Digitale Medien in Deutsch als Fremd- und Zweitsprache (Digital media in German as a foreign and second language) (pp. 9-42). Berlin, Germany: Erich Schmidt Verlag. Related URL.
- Feick, D. (2020). Digital und mobil – Befunde zur Nutzung mobiler Endgeräte im DaF-Unterricht der Sekundarstufe (Digital and mobile - findings on the use of mobile devices in German as a foreign language classes in secondary schools). In Biebighäuser, Katrin, Feick, Diana (Eds.) Digitale Medien in Deutsch als Fremd- und Zweitsprache (Digital media in German as a foreign and second language) (pp. 43-68). Berlin, Germany: Erich Schmidt Verlag. Related URL.
- Biebighäuser, K, & Feick, D. (Eds.) (2020). Digitale Medien in Deutsch als Fremd- und Zweitsprache (Digital Media in German as a foreign and second language). Berlin, Germany: Erich Schmidt Verlag. Pages: 196. Related URL.
- Feick, D. (2018). Social autonomy and decision making in L2 group work. Studies in Self-Access Learning Journal, 9 (3), 280-305. Related URL.
- Feick, D. (2018). Multimodal aspects of decision making in L2 group work. Paper presented at Sociolinguistics Symposium, Auckland, New Zealand. 27 June - 30 June 2018. Related URL.
- Feick, D. (2018). Ist das eine Gruppenentscheidung? Zur sozialen Autonomie in Lernendengruppen. Paper presented at German Studies Association of Australia (GSAA) International Conference, Wellington, New Zealand. 28 November - 30 November 2018.
- Feick, D. (2018). Is this a group decision? Creating social autonomy in language learners. Paper presented at NZALT 2018 conference: Exploring other worlds through languages, Auckland, New Zealand. 8 July - 11 July 2018.
- Feick, D. (2018). German as a heritage language in New Zealand. Time to act?. Paper presented at CLESOL 2018, Christuchurch, New Zealand. 5 October - 7 October 2018.