Dr Frauke Meyer
PhD, MEd, PGradDipE, MEd (teaching-special needs) GER
Research | Current
- Interpersonal leadership practices and capabilities (Open-to-learning conversations, problem-solving, building relational trust, openmindedness)
- Organisational leadership practices (goal-setting, leadership effectiveness, coherence)
- Leadership preparation (leadership induction, beginning principals' experiences, mentoring)
- Teaching for Better Learning (TBL): An inquiry-oriented approach to teaching standards
Teaching | Current
EDPROFST 738 Educational Leadership
EDPROFST 782 Educational Change
Supervision areas: Educational leadership, leadership practices, trust, mentoring
Preferred methodology: Mixed methods and qualitative.
Masters and Doctoral (EdD, PhD)
Areas of expertise
Frauke Meyer is a Lecturer at the Faculty of Education and a Research Associate with the Faculty's Centre for Educational Leadership. Her academic career and research has four main strands: educational leadership and leadership practices, teacher education, literacy practices and special needs education. Her current research is concerned with school leadership, leadership induction/mentoring and interpersonal leadership practices. The immediate focus of her research is the analysis, assessment, and development of interpersonal behaviours that promote relational trust. Her expertise lies in qualitative as well as quantitative research methodologies and mixed methods designs. Frauke has worked on a number of small to large-scale research projects and program evaluations.
- Member of the Auckland Science Policy Exchange Initiative by the Office of the Prime Minister’s Chief Science Advisor Professor Sir Peter Gluckman http://www.pmcsa.org.nz/spe/
- Member of the LDPP Postgraduate Committee
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Meyer, F., Sinnema, C., & Patuawa, J. (2019). Novice principals setting goals for school improvement in New Zealand. School Leadership and Management, 39 (2), 198-221. 10.1080/13632434.2018.1473358
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Claire Sinnema, Jacqui Patuawa
- Meyer, F., Le Fevre, D. M., Bendikson, L., Ashmore, N., Slater-Brown, K., & Webb, T. (2018). Building Trust through Action. Paper presented at New Zealand Association for Research in Education (NZARE), Auckland, New Zealand. 28 March - 28 November 2018. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Deidre Le Fevre
- Meissel, K., Meyer, F., Yao, E. S., & Rubie-Davies, C. M. (2017). Subjectivity of teacher judgments: Exploring student characteristics that influence teacher judgments of student ability. Teaching and Teacher Education, 65, 48-60. 10.1016/j.tate.2017.02.021
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Esther Yao, Kane Meissel, Christine Rubie-Davies
- Meyer, F, Le Fevre, D. M., & Robinson, V.M.J. (2017). How leaders communicate their vulnerability: Implications for trust building. International Journal of Educational Management, 31 (2), 221-235. 10.1108/IJEM-11-2015-0150
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Deidre Le Fevre, Viviane Robinson
- Sinnema, C., Meyer, F., & Aitken, G. (2017). Capturing the complex, situated and active nature of teaching through inquiry-oriented standards for teaching. Journal of Teacher Education, 68 (1), 9-27. 10.1177/0022487116668017
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Claire Sinnema, Graeme Aitken
- Meyer, F., Meissel, K., & McNaughton, S. (2017). Patterns of literacy learning in German primary schools over the summer and the influence of home literacy practices. Journal of Research in Reading, 40 (3), 233-253. 10.1111/1467-9817.12061
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kane Meissel, Stuart McNaughton
- Le Fevre, D. M., Sinnema, C. E. L., & Meyer, F. (2016). Possibilities for school improvement through Open-to-Learning leadership. In V. M. J. Robinson, D. M. Le Fevre, C. E. L. Sinnema (Eds.) Open-to-learning leadership: How to build trust while tackling tough issues (pp. 231-245). Moorabbin, Vic., Australia: Hawker Brownlow Education.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Claire Sinnema, Viviane Robinson
- Meyer, F., Yao, E., & Meissel, K. (2016). Sources of Variability in Summer Learning in New Zealand. Paper presented at AERA 2016, Washington, D.C. , US. 8 April - 12 April 2016. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kane Meissel, Esther Yao