Dr Frederik Bastiaan Pruijn
Frederik Pruijn obtained his Masters (1986) and PhD (1990) in Pharmacochemistry at the Free University, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. After a 2-year post-doc position at the Institute of Human Genetics, Free University in Amsterdam he went to New Zealand where he worked in the Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology (1992-1994). In 1994 he joined The Experimental Oncology Group. He is Owner of the LinkedIn group Hypoxia in Cancer http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=1897774
Research | Current
- ADME of novel hypoxia-selective anti-tumour drugs, incl. bioanalysis and metabolite identification (LC-MS).
- Tissue (tumour) transport of drugs. In particular, the role of lipophilicity (logP), measured or calculated using the training features of ACD/LogP, on drug diffusion in the extravascular tumour compartment.
- QSAR modelling of in vitro and in vivo PK and PD.
- New 2-nitroimidazoles for detection and imaging of hypoxic cells.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Bonnet, M., Hong, C. R., Wong, W. W., Liew, L. P., Shome, A., Wang, J., ... Anderson, R. F. (2018). Next-generation hypoxic cell radiosensitizers: Nitroimidazole alkylsulfonamides. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 61 (3), 1241-1254. 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.7b01678
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Michael Hay, Lydia Liew, Way Wong, Bob Anderson, Stephen Jamieson, Kevin Hicks, Yongchuan Gu, Ralph Stevenson, Avik Shome
- Lee, T. W., Hunter, F. W., Shome, A., Wrightson, E. L., McManaway, S. P., McIvor, N., ... Macann, A. J. (14/10/2017). Preclinical efficacy of hypoxia-activated prodrugs in patient-derived xenograft models of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Poster presented at New Zealand Society for Oncology Conference 2017, Auckland, New Zealand.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Tet Woo Lee, Francis Hunter, Avik Shome, Sarah McManaway, Moana Tercel, William Wilson, Stephen Jamieson
- Gu, Y., Chang, T. T.-A., Wang, J., Jaiswal, J. K., Edwards, D., Downes, N. J., ... Hickey, A. J. (2017). Reductive metabolism influences the toxicity and pharmacokinetics of the hypoxia-targeted benzotriazine di-oxide anticancer agent SN30000 in mice. Frontiers in Pharmacology, 8, 1-16. 10.3389/fphar.2017.00531
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Tony Hickey, Yongchuan Gu, Jagdish Jaiswal, Michael Hay, William Wilson, Kevin Hicks, Courtney Lynch
- Tercel, M., Lee, H. H., Mehta, S. Y., Youte Tendoung, J.-J., Bai, S. Y., Liyanage, H. S., & Pruijn, F. B. (2017). Influence of a basic side chain on the properties of hypoxia-selective nitro analogues of the duocarmycins: Demonstration of substantial anticancer activity in combination with irradiation or chemotherapy. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 60 (13), 5834-5856. 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.7b00563
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ho Lee, Moana Tercel
- Gamage, S. A., Jose, J., Harvey, M. G., Voss, L. J., Denny, W. A., Sleigh, J. W., ... Pruijn, F. B. (29/8/2016). Can we beat the ketamine tiger. Poster presented at EFMC-ISMC 2016: XXIV EFMC International Symposium on Medicinal Chemistry, Manchester, UK.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Swarna Gamage, Jiney Jose, Bill Denny, Jamie Sleigh
- Gu, Y., Deng, K.-C., Liyanage, S., Pruijn, F., & Wilson, W. (2016). Targeted proteomic profiling of enzymes that activate the prodrug PR-104A in human leukaemias. Paper presented at 15th Human Proteome Orgnisation World Congress, Taipei, Taiwan. 18 September - 22 September 2016.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Yongchuan Gu, William Wilson
- Harvey, M., Sleigh, J., Voss, L., Pruijn, F., Jose, J., Gamage, S., & Denny, W. (2015). Determination of the hypnotic potency in rats of the novel ketamine ester analogue SN 35210. Pharmacology, 96 (5-6), 226-232. 10.1159/000439598
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jiney Jose, Jamie Sleigh, Bill Denny, Swarna Gamage
- Harvey, M., Sleigh, J., Voss, L., Jose, J., Gamage, S., Pruijn, F., ... Denny, W. (2015). Development of rapidly metabolized and ultra-short-acting ketamine analogs. Anesthesia and Analgesia, 121 (4), 925-933. 10.1213/ane.0000000000000719
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jiney Jose, Swarna Gamage, Bill Denny, Jamie Sleigh