Dr Frederik Bastiaan Pruijn
Frederik Pruijn obtained his Masters (1986) and PhD (1990) in Pharmacochemistry at the Free University, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. After a 2-year post-doc position at the Institute of Human Genetics, Free University in Amsterdam he went to New Zealand where he worked in the Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology (1992-1994). In 1994 he joined The Experimental Oncology Group. He is Owner of the LinkedIn group Hypoxia in Cancer http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=1897774
Research | Current
- ADME of novel hypoxia-selective anti-tumour drugs, incl. bioanalysis and metabolite identification (LC-MS).
- Tissue (tumour) transport of drugs. In particular, the role of lipophilicity (logP), measured or calculated using the training features of ACD/LogP, on drug diffusion in the extravascular tumour compartment.
- QSAR modelling of in vitro and in vivo PK and PD.
- New 2-nitroimidazoles for detection and imaging of hypoxic cells.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Hong, C. R., Dickson, B. D., Jaiswal, J. K., Pruijn, F. B., Hunter, F. W., Hay, M. P., ... Wilson, W. R. (2018). Cellular pharmacology of evofosfamide (TH-302): A critical re-evaluation of its bystander effects. Biochemical Pharmacology, 156, 265-280. 10.1016/j.bcp.2018.08.027
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Benjamin Dickson, Michael Hay, Jagdish Jaiswal, Francis Hunter, Kevin Hicks, Cho Rong Hong
- Hong, C. R., Bogle, G., Wang, J., Patel, K., Pruijn, F. B., Wilson, W. R., & Hicks, K. O. (2018). Bystander Effects of Hypoxia-Activated Prodrugs: Agent-Based Modeling Using Three Dimensional Cell Cultures. Frontiers in pharmacology, 910.3389/fphar.2018.01013
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kevin Hicks, Gib Bogle, Cho Rong Hong
- Bonnet, M., Hong, C. R., Wong, W. W., Liew, L. P., Shome, A., Wang, J., ... Anderson, R. F. (2018). Next-generation hypoxic cell radiosensitizers: Nitroimidazole alkylsulfonamides. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 61 (3), 1241-1254. 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.7b01678
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Michael Hay, Lydia Liew, Way Wong, Bob Anderson, Stephen Jamieson, Kevin Hicks, Yongchuan Gu, Ralph Stevenson, Avik Shome, Cho Rong Hong
- Lee, T. W., Hunter, F. W., Shome, A., Wrightson, E. L., McManaway, S. P., McIvor, N., ... Macann, A. J. (14/10/2017). Preclinical efficacy of hypoxia-activated prodrugs in patient-derived xenograft models of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Poster presented at New Zealand Society for Oncology Conference 2017, Auckland, New Zealand.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Tet Woo Lee, Francis Hunter, Avik Shome, Sarah McManaway, Moana Tercel, Stephen Jamieson
- Gu, Y., Chang, T. T.-A., Wang, J., Jaiswal, J. K., Edwards, D., Downes, N. J., ... Hickey, A. J. (2017). Reductive metabolism influences the toxicity and pharmacokinetics of the hypoxia-targeted benzotriazine di-oxide anticancer agent SN30000 in mice. Frontiers in Pharmacology, 8, 1-16. 10.3389/fphar.2017.00531
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Tony Hickey, Yongchuan Gu, Jagdish Jaiswal, Michael Hay, Kevin Hicks, Courtney Lynch
- Tercel, M., Lee, H. H., Mehta, S. Y., Youte Tendoung, J.-J., Bai, S. Y., Liyanage, H. S., & Pruijn, F. B. (2017). Influence of a basic side chain on the properties of hypoxia-selective nitro analogues of the duocarmycins: Demonstration of substantial anticancer activity in combination with irradiation or chemotherapy. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 60 (13), 5834-5856. 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.7b00563
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ho Lee, Moana Tercel
- Hong, C. R., Jaiswal, J., Dickson, B. D., Hunter, F. W., Hicks, K. O., & Wilson, W. R. (26/10/2016). Cellular pharmacology and bystander effects of the hypoxia activated prodrug evofosfamide (TH-302). Poster presented at New Zealand Society for Oncology Conference 2016, Palmerston North, New Zealand.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Benjamin Dickson, Cho Rong Hong, Jagdish Jaiswal, Francis Hunter, Kevin Hicks
- Gamage, S. A., Jose, J., Harvey, M. G., Voss, L. J., Denny, W. A., Sleigh, J. W., ... Pruijn, F. B. (29/8/2016). Can we beat the ketamine tiger. Poster presented at EFMC-ISMC 2016: XXIV EFMC International Symposium on Medicinal Chemistry, Manchester, UK.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Swarna Gamage, Jiney Jose, Bill Denny, Jamie Sleigh