Dr Gregory Minissale
PhD (SOAS, London), MA (SOAS, London), MSc (City University), BA (Sussex)
Gregory was born in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, and studied art history and Italian at the University of Sussex. He completed his Masters and PhD in art history at the School of African and Oriental Art, University of London on the subject of cross-cultural encounters in art. He has taught at the Savannah College of Art and Design, GA USA and London Metropolitan University.
Research | Current
- Art theory
- Philosophy of mind
- Cognitive and psychological approaches to art
Greg is currently conducting research into matter and contemporary art, using art theory, philosophy, phenomenology and cognitive psychological approaches.
Teaching | Current
ARTHIST 115 Global Art Histories
ARTHIST 204 Contemporary Art and Theory
ARTHIST 231 Framing the Viewer: 20th Century Art
ARTHIST 331 Framing the Viewer: 20th Century Art
ARTHIST 334 Contemporary Art and Theory
ARTHIST 725 Concepts in Contemporary Art
- Foucault and Velázquez
Time in Contemporary Art
Choreography and Intersubjectivity
The Crisis of the Object
The City as Medium
Misogynist Responses to Tracey Emin's Art; Menstruation in Art; Fiona Connor; Entomology in Art; Cosmography in Art; Sonic art; Historiography and Art.
2013 Early Career Teaching Excellence Award.
Areas of expertise
Contemporary art and theory, psychological and phenomenological approaches to art and materiality
Art History's Representative on the Humanities Research Committee
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Minissale, G. (2018). Global and local multistability in contemporary art. In C. Albu, D. Schuld (Eds.) Perception and agency in shared spaces of contemporary art (pp. 107-117). New York: Routledge.
- Minissale, G. (2015). The Invisible Within: Dispersing Masculinity in Art. Angelaki : Journal of the Theoretical Humanities, 20 (1), 71-83. 10.1080/0969725X.2015.1017378
- Minissale, G. (2015). Problem Spaces in the Walters Prize. Reading Room: A Journal of Art and Culture (7), 126-146. Related URL.
- Minissale, G. (2015). Becoming-cyborg. In L. Grabbe, P. Rupert-Kruse, N. Schmitz (Eds.) Cyborgian images: The moving image between apparatus and body (pp. 164-185). Darmstadt: Buchner-Verlag.
- Minissale, G. (2015). Performing the Curator, Curating the Performer: Abramović’s Seven Easy Pieces. In C. Jeffery (Ed.) The Artist as Curator (pp. 131-149). Bristol, UK ; Chicago, IL: Intellect.
- Minissale, G. (2014). Revealing Freedom: Contemporary New Zealand Art at Auckland Art Gallery. Art New Zealand (149), 50-54. Related URL.
- Minissale, G. (2013). The Psychology of Contemporary Art. Cambridge, U.K.: Cambridge University Press. Pages: 407.
- Minissale, G. (2012). Conceptual Art: A Blind Spot for Neuroaesthetics?. Leonardo, 45 (1), 43-48. 10.1162/LEON_a_00324