Dr Guy Warman
PhD (1999), MSc (hons) (1995), BSc (1993)
We are organising and hosting the 2017 Australasian Chronobiology Society Meeting
23rd -24th October at The Venue,Onetangi, Waiheke Island, Auckland.
We have two emminent international chronobiologists giving keynote addresses: Professor Russell Foster, Oxford University and Professor Steve Kay, University of Southern California.
For further information and to register for the meeting please visit:
My research interest is in chronobiology and the interplay between anaesthesia and the circadian clock.
Together with my colleagues, Dr Cheeseman in particular, I have developed a "Chronobiology Research Group" in the Department of Anaesthesiology at the Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences.
Our basic research is focussed on the investigation of the control of circadian rhythms and the similarities between sleep and anaesthesia using invertebrate and vertebrate models. Our applied research focuses on human circadian rhythms and sleep in the hospital environment, and the influence time of day has on drug action. The findings from our basic research underpin and direct our applied work in-hospital.
I have 40 publications in international peer-reviewed journals and an h-index of 15. Our work has been supported by a number of research grants including the RSNZ's Marsden Fund, The Health Research Council of New Zealand and the Office of Naval Research (USA).
We have active and productive collaborative links internationally with Professor Randolf Menzel at the Free University of Berlin and Professor Shin Yamazaki at the University of Texas, SouthWestern Medical Center in Dallas.
We have interdisciplinary collaborations within the University of Auckland with researchers in the School of Medicine the Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences and in the Faculty of Science
I have supervised a total of 26 post-graduate research students (PhD, masters and honours students) and 16 summer students. I am currently main supervisor of two PhD students (Nicola Ludin and Alma Orst-Sebastian) and co-supervise two PhD students (Jia Zhao and Dongni Li) and one masters student (Joshua Paul).
For details of current research projects available in the Chronobiology Group please visit:
Prior to my appointment at the University of Auckland as lecturer in 2005 I was a research fellow at Green Lane Hospital, before that I was a post-doctoral fellow at the Centre for Chronobiology University of Surrey, U.K. working with Professor Jospephine Arendt and her group.
Teaching | Current
MEDSCI 718- The Pharmacology of Anaesthetics and Analgesics (Course Director and Lecturer)
MEDSCI 738 - Biological Clocks (Course Director and Lecturer)
Quality and Safety - Lecturer and Facilitator
Nicola Ludin (PhD) - main supervisor
Alma Orts-Sebastian (PhD) - main supervisor
Dongni Li (PhD) - co-supervisor
Jia Zhou (PhD) - co-supervisor
Joshua Paul (MSc) - co-supervisor
Past PhD Students
2008-2014. Anisoara Jardim “Light therapy, circadian rhythms and sleep in cardiac patients”
2008-2012. Eva Winnebeck “The effect of general anaesthesia on the circadian clock of the honey bee”
2007-2011. Amanda Potts “Dexmedetomidine in paediatric anaesthesia” (Dean’s list)
2003-2007. James Cheeseman “Implications of circadian biology for anaesthesia”
1999-2003. Hayley Tripp “Effects of 50 Hz magnetic fields on the circadian clock”
Past MSc/Honours Students
2012-2014. Kerry de Villiers “Sleep and circadian rhythm disruption in patients…”
2011-2012. Nicola Ludin “Mechanisms by which anaesthesia affects the circadian…”
2007-2008 Anisoara Jardim “The effects of hospitalisation anaesthesia and surgery on sleep …”
2006-2007. Amanda Potts “Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of aphla2-agonists…”
2004-2005. Hanie Amir-Shahpari “Determinants of coagulation during cardiopulmonary bypass”
2013-2014. Yoon Choi “The effect of melatonin on the relationship between sleep pain and…”
2012-2013. Andrea Pillay “The underlying mechanisms causing daily variation in the action…”
2011-2012. Catherine Davis “The clock control of tidal movement in esturine fishes”
2009-2010. Sarah Milton “The interactions between sleep general anaesthesia and the circadian…”
2007-2008. Yasamin Al-Tiay “Validation of the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic….”
2010. Rebecca Norris “Can carbon dioxide affect honey bee colony behaviour?”
2010. Lisa Fendall “Investigating social synchronisation of time sense…”
2006. Jacqueline Hannam “The incidence of residual neuromuscular blockade….”
2000. Claire Curtis “The molecular analysis of the dopamine receptor…”
University of Auckland Teaching Excellence Award
Honorary Research Fellow ADHB
University of Surrey Scholar in Neurobiology
Deputy Head of Department, Anaesthesiology
Senior Lecturer, Department of Anaesthesiology
Chair, Post-Graduate Committe, Department of Anaesthesiology
I am deputy HOD and graduate advisor. I represented our department on the SOM research committee from its formation until 2015. I sat on the FMHS staffing committee, and senate and currently sit on the Faculty of Science staffing committee. I sit on review panels (FRDF, mock Marsden, internal PBRF). I have been involved in public outreach (LENscience lectures; TVNZ7 Ever Wondered; TV/radio/newspaper interviews, RSNZ “ten by ten series”). I have served on the Australasian Sleep Association Education Committee, reviewed grants for Wellcome, BBSRC(UK), MRC(UK) HRC, WMRF and the Czech Science Foundation and reviewed manuscripts for 12 journals. I have been an invited speaker at 25 international and national clinical and scientific meetings
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Poulsen, R. C., Warman, G. R., Sleigh, J., Ludin, N. M., & Cheeseman, J. F. (2018). How does general anaesthesia affect the circadian clock?. Sleep Medicine Reviews, 37, 35-44. 10.1016/j.smrv.2016.12.002
Other University of Auckland co-authors: James Cheeseman, Raewyn Poulsen, Nicola Ludin, Jamie Sleigh
- Ludin, N., Cheeseman, J., Merry, A., Millar, C., & Warman, G. (2016). The effects of the general anaesthetic isoflurane on the honey bee (Apis mellifera) circadian clock. Chronobiology International: the journal of biological and medical rhythm research, 33 (1), 128-133. 10.3109/07420528.2015.1113987
Other University of Auckland co-authors: James Cheeseman, Alan Merry, Nicola Ludin, Craig Millar
- Cheeseman, J. F., Millar, C. D., Greggers, U., Lehmann, K., Pawley, M. D. M., Gallistel, C. R., ... Menzel, R. (2014). Reply to Cheung et al.: The cognitive map hypothesis remains the best interpretation of the data in honeybee navigation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 111 (42), 1-1. 10.1073/pnas.1415738111
Other University of Auckland co-authors: James Cheeseman, Matthew Pawley, Craig Millar
- Cheeseman, J. F., Millar, C. D., Greggers, U., Lehmann, K., Pawley, M. D. M., Gallistel, C. R., ... Menzel, R. (2014). Way-finding in displaced clock-shifted bees proves bees use a cognitive map. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 111 (24), 8949-8954. 10.1073/pnas.1408039111
Other University of Auckland co-authors: James Cheeseman, Craig Millar, Matthew Pawley
- Paine, S.-J., Fink, J., Gander, P. H., & Warman, G. R. (2014). Identifying advanced and delayed sleep phase disorders in the general population: a national survey of New Zealand adults. Chronobiology international, 31 (5), 627-636. 10.3109/07420528.2014.885036
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Sarah-Jane Paine
- Arroll, B., Fernando, A., Falloon, K., Goodyear-Smith, F. A., Samaranayake, C., & Warman, G. (2012). Prevalence of causes of insomnia in primary care: a cross-sectional study. British Journal of General Practice, 62 (595), e99-e103. 10.3399/bjgp12X625157
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bruce Arroll, Antonio Fernando, Karen Falloon, Felicity Goodyear-Smith
- Cheeseman, J. F., Winnebeck, E. W., Millar, C. D., Kirkland, L. S., Sleigh, J., Goodwin, M., ... Menzel, R. (2012). General anesthesia alters time perception by phase shifting the circadian clock. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, 109 (18), 7061-7066. 10.1073/pnas.1201734109
Other University of Auckland co-authors: James Cheeseman, Craig Millar, Jamie Sleigh, Matthew Pawley
- Ludin, N. M., Rescan, M., Cheeseman, J. F., Millar, C. D., & Warman, G. R. (2012). A Honey Bee (Apis mellifera) Light Phase Response Curve. CHRONOBIOLOGY INTERNATIONAL, 29 (4), 523-526. 10.3109/07420528.2012.667468
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nicola Ludin, Craig Millar, James Cheeseman
- Media Contact
Primary office location
AUCKLAND HOSPITAL - Bldg 599
Level 3, Room 33.013
2 PARK RD