Dr Hilary Mary Lapsley
MA(Hons), PhD, MNZPsS
My PhD in Psychology was from University of Auckland in 1981, where I was a Junior Lecturer in Psychology. After a period as Deputy Director at the Mental Health Foundation, I became a Senior Lecturer in Women's Studies and Psychology, and head of the Women's Studies programme at the University of Waikato. I left there in 2000 to become Research Director of the Mental Health Commission in Wellington. A move into research management saw me managing health research programmes at the Chief Scientist Office, Edinburgh from 2007-2011 and then at the University of Auckland's Research Office (2012-14). The UK experience, where I held office portfolios for ageing, dementia and mental health research, led to an interest in ageing research and now at the School of Population Health I'm involved with the LiLACS NZ research group in longitudinal studies of older people.
Research | Current
I'm working with the LiLACS NZ group on reports for the Ministry of Health, as well as developing a focus on gender and ageing. An Associate of the Centre for Cognitive Ageing and Cognitive Epidemiology, University of Edinburgh, I have added a qualitative dimension, through a life history review, to the Lothian Birth Cohort 1921 study.
University Postgraduate Scholarship 1979-81
Fulbright Senior Scholar, 1992
New Zealand Suffrage Centennial Medal, 1993
Senior Research Fellow
Areas of expertise
ageing research, mental health, qualitative research, women's studies
Convenor, Women's Studies Association (NZ)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Kerse, N., Lapsley, H., Moyes, S. A., Mules, R., & Edlin, R. (2016). Health, Independence and Caregiving in Advanced Age: Findings from LiLACS NZ. Auckland: University of Auckland. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ngaire Kerse, Simon Moyes
- Lapsley, H. (2016). Gender and the experience of advanced ageing in Māori and non- Māori: recent findings from LiLACS NZ. Paper presented at 2016 New Zealand Association of Gerontology Conference, Wellington, New Zealand. 15 September - 17 September 2016.
- Lapsley, H., Pattie, A., Starr, J. M., & Deary, I. J. (2016). Life review in advanced age: Qualitative research on the 'start in life' of 90-year-olds in the Lothian Birth Cohort 1921. BMC Geriatrics, 16 (74)10.1186/s12877-016-0246-x
- Lapsley, H. M. (2016). Outing Auntie Cal: War stories, hidden histories, and family conversations. Women's Studies Journal, 30 (1), 4-16. Related URL.
- Lapsley, H. (2015). Respecialising in ageing research: A retirement journey. Paper presented at HOPE-Selwyn Knowledge Exchange: The HOPE Foundation for Research on Ageing, Auckland, New Zealand. 4 September - 4 September 2015.
- Lapsley, H. M. (2014). Editorial. Women's Studies Journal, 28 (1), 2-3. Related URL.
- Lapsley, H. (2013). Naomi Mitchison. Paper presented at Women's Studies Association (WSA) NZ Conference 2013, Wellington, New Zealand. 26 April - 28 April 2013.
- Lapsley, H., Pattie, A., Starr, J. M., & Deary, I. J. (2012). Life review in Scottish ninety year olds from the Lothian Birth Cohort 1921: Developing qualitative methodology in a longitudinal study. Paper presented at New Zealand Psychological Society Annual Conference 2012, Wellington, NZ. 20 April - 23 April 2012. Related URL.