Associate Professor Ian Macduff
Ian is a Teaching Fellow, Centre for ICT Law at Auckland Law School. He was, until June 2016, Associate Professor of Law and Director of the Dispute Resolution Initiative at Singapore Management University. He has been a practising mediator for over 30 years, in commercial, environmental, policy, intercultural, family, online mediation and other fields. He is a member of the Independent Standards Commission of the International Mediation); and a member of the IMI’s Task Force on Intercultural Mediation accreditation, a member of the Global Organising Committee of the Global Pound Conference series, and a Fellow of the National Center for Technology and Dispute Resolution [http://odr.info/fellows/]. He is co-editor of Ethnic Conflict and Secessionism in South and South East Asia (Sage, 2003); contributing author of Dispute Resolution in New Zealand (OUP 1999), and of Guidelines for Family Mediation (Butterworths, 1995) and contributing author to An Asian Perspective on Mediation. He is editor of Essays on Mediation: Dealing with Disputes in the 21st Century, (Kluwer 2016).
- Deputy Director of the NZ Centre for ICT Law
Areas of expertise
- Negotiation and mediation
- Online dispute resolution
- Public issue dialogue
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Macduff, K. I. (2018). WordSwords. http://mediationblog.kluwerarbitration.com/2018/06/25/wordswords/. Related URL.
- Macduff, K. I. (2018). Sources of inspiration. http://mediationblog.kluwerarbitration.com/2018/05/26/sources-of-inspiration/. Related URL.
- Macduff, K. I. (2018). The coincidental mediator: A cautionary tale. http://mediationblog.kluwerarbitration.com/2018/02/26/coincidental-mediator-cauti%20onary-tale/. Related URL.
- Macduff, K. I. (2018). Odd conversations: Four vignettes. http://mediationblog.kluwerarbitration.com/2018/01/26/odd-conversations-four-vignettes/. Related URL.
- Macduff, K. I. (2017). Digital justice: Between enthusiasm and caution. http://mediationblog.kluwerarbitration.com/2017/11/25/digital-justice-enthusiasm-caution/. Related URL.
- Macduff, K. I. (2017). On negotiating in interesting times. http://mediationblog.kluwerarbitration.com/2017/10/26/negotiating-interesting-times/. Related URL.
- Macduff, K. I. (2017). Working on Water # 4: tapping into dialogue issues. http://kluwermediationblog.com/2017/08/26/working-water-4-tapping-dialogue-issues/. Related URL.
- Macduff, K. I. (2017). Invidious choices: mediators as Homeric navigators. http://kluwermediationblog.com/2017/07/25/invidious-choices-mediators-homeric-navigators/. Related URL.