Associate Professor Ian David Campbell
BHB, MB, ChB, Dip Obst, FRACS
Associate Professor Ian Campbell is a surgeon at Waikato Hospital who has specialised in the treatment of breast cancer since 1989.
He has been involved with more than 30 international clinical trials, leading several of these for Australia and NZ. He has co-supervised Sanjeewa Seneviratne for his PhD Thesis on breast cancer outcomes for Waikato women based on the Waikato Breast Cancer Register. He has also been a co-investigator on numerous studies from the Breast Surgeons of Australia and NZ (Breast SurgANZ) Quality Audit. He has actively contributed to the Australia and NZ Breast Cancer Trials Group through trial work and on their Scientific Advisory Committee since 1992. He has been the elected NZ Director on the ANZBCTG Board from 2001-2014. He was Chair of the NZ Management of Early Breast Cancer Guidelines Group from 2007 to 2009, overseeing the development and publication of these guidelines. He is currently Chairing the NZ Breast Cancer Working Group charged with developing NZ standards of care for breast cancer. He has been the NZ representative on the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Breast Section from 2002-2011 and a founding member of the Executive of Breast SurgANZ and their audit subcommittee.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Blackmore, T., Del Mundo-Ramos, E., Chepulis, L., Lao, C., Burrett, V., McCleery, J., ... Lawrenson, R. (2020). Psychosocial support needs of women with breast cancer in the Waikato region of New Zealand. Psycho-oncology10.1002/pon.5510
- Latt, P. M., Tin Tin, S., Elwood, M., Lawrenson, R., & Campbell, I. (2020). Receipt of radiotherapy after mastectomy in women with breast cancer: Population-based cohort study in New Zealand. Asia-Pacific journal of clinical oncology, 16 (2), e99-e107. 10.1111/ajco.13101
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Sandar Tin Tin, Mark Elwood
- Olivotto, I. A., Link, E., Phillips, C., Whelan, T. J., Bryant, G., Kunkler, I. H., ... Graham, P. H. (2020). International comparison of cosmetic outcomes of breast conserving surgery and radiation therapy for women with ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. Radiotherapy and oncology : journal of the European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, 142, 180-185. 10.1016/j.radonc.2019.07.024
- Lawrenson, R., Lao, C., Jacobson, G., Seneviratne, S., Scott, N., Sarfati, D., ... Campbell, I. (2019). Outcomes in different ethnic groups of New Zealand patients with screen-detected vs. non-screen-detected breast cancer. Journal of medical screening, 26 (4), 197-203. 10.1177/0969141319844801
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Mark Elwood
- Lao, C., Lawrenson, R., Edwards, M., & Campbell, I. (2019). Treatment and survival of Asian women diagnosed with breast cancer in New Zealand. Breast cancer research and treatment, 177 (2), 497-505. 10.1007/s10549-019-05310-z
- Lawrenson, R., Lao, C., Ali, A., & Campbell, I. (2019). Impact of radiotherapy on cardiovascular health of women with breast cancer. Journal of medical imaging and radiation oncology, 63 (2), 250-256. 10.1111/1754-9485.12838
- Campbell, I., Lao, C., Blackmore, T., Edwards, M., Hayes, L., Ng, A., & Lawrenson, R. (2018). Surgical treatment of early stage breast cancer in the Auckland and Waikato regions of New Zealand. ANZ Journal of Surgery, 88 (12), 1263-1268. 10.1111/ans.14840
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Melissa Edwards
- Galimberti, V., Cole, B. F., Viale, G., Veronesi, P., Vicini, E., Intra, M., ... Taffurelli, M. (2018). Axillary dissection versus no axillary dissection in patients with breast cancer and sentinel-node micrometastases (IBCSG 23-01): 10-year follow-up of a randomised, controlled phase 3 trial. The Lancet. Oncology, 19 (10), 1385-1393. 10.1016/s1470-2045(18)30380-2