Ms Jacquie Lindsay Bay
MEd(Hons), BSc, DipTch
The information on this profile page is not current.
Please refer to here for more up to date information.
Research | Current
- Science communication
- Students as researchers
- Young people’s perspectives of science and scientists
- The role of context in teaching and learning
- E-learning: communities of interaction
She leads research at the Liggins Institute which is looking at the role of collaborations between science and science education in translating concepts of the developmental origins of health and disease (DOHaD) into understandings and behaviours that will enable reduction in noncommunicable disease risk in current and future generations.
Current affiliations and collaborations
- New Zealand - The Liggins Institute, The National Research Centre for Growth and Development, The Allan Wilson Centre, The Bio-Protection Research Centre, The Centre for Brain Research.
Past President, Biology Educators Association of New Zealand
- International - The University of Southampton
Major grant funding:
- National Research Centre for Growth and Development: A Healthy Start to Life - Adolescent Education 2009-2011
- Ministry of Education LEOTC Grant: LENScience Face to Face 2009 - 2012
- KAREN Capability Build Fund: LENScience Connect ‘09 2009
- National Research Centre for Growth and Development Pilot Grant: LENScience Connect 2009
- National Research Centre for Growth and Development Pilot Grant: Community Education (with K Franko) 2009
- Friedlander Foundation: LENScience Summer School Student Support Grant 2007, 2008, 2009
- Logan Campbell Residuary Trust: LENScience Programme Support Grant 2008, 2009, 2010
- National Research Centre for Growth and Development: E-Learning Development Grant 2010-2011
- Te Puni Kākiri (Ministry for Māori Development): LENScience Māori and Pacific Education Programme Grant 2010-2012
Teaching | Current
Teaching programmes designed:
- Healthy Start to Life Education Programme
- LENScience Bio-Med Summer School
- LENScience Connect
- LENScience Face to Face
- LENScience Senior Biology Seminar Series
- LENScience Students as Researchers
- LENScience Teacher Professional Development
- New Zealand Biology Educators’ Association (Past President)
- Member of the NZASE Council (2009-2011)
- Associate Director Outreach for the NRCGD
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Bay, J. L., Meylan, R., Leaman, J., Gibbs, S., & Beedle, A. (2010). Engaging Young New Zealanders with Science: Priorities for Action in School Science Education. Looking Ahead: Science Education for the Twenty-First Century (pp. B55-B68). Auckland: Office of the Prime Minister’s Science Advisory Committee.
- Bay, J. L., Hamilton, R., & Hedge, D. R. L. (1/1/2009). LENScience Senior Biology Seminar Series 2009 [8 Episode Interactive Television Series], Programme / Archive Publication, Auckland: Liggins Institute, The University of Auckland. Related URL.
- Bay, J. L., Hamilton, R., & Hedge, D. R. L. (1/1/2008). LENScience Senior Biology Seminar Series 2008 [3 Episode Interactive Television Series], Programme / Archive publication, Auckland: Liggins Institute, The University of Auckland. Related URL.