Dr June-Chiew Han
June-Chiew Han received a Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Biomedical Engineering and a PhD in Bioengineering from the University of Auckland.
His PhD thesis involved simultaneous measurement of the heat and force production of rat cardiac trabeculae (a muscle of radial dimensions about the size of a human hair and about 3 mm long) to investigate their mechanoenergetics properties using the ABI-developed micromechanocalorimeter. An article resulting from this work appeared in the Journal of Applied Physiology.
Research | Current
June-Chiew's current post-doc research focuses on the effects of hypertension, hypertrophy, diabetes, and diet on cardiac energetics; specifically, how they affect myocardial mechanical efficiency. Energetic experiments are performed at the whole-heart level and at the trabecula level. Experiments are also performed at the sub-cellular level.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Garrett, A. S., Pham, T., Loiselle, D., Han, J.-C., & Taberner, A. (2019). Mechanical loading of isolated cardiac muscle with a real-time computed Windkessel model of the vasculature impedance. Physiological reports, 7 (17)10.14814/phy2.14184
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Taberner, Denis Loiselle, Toan Pham
- Pham, T., Zgierski-Johnston, C. M., Tran, K., Taberner, A. J., Loiselle, D. S., & Han, J.-C. (2019). Energy expenditure for isometric contractions of right and left ventricular trabeculae over a wide range of frequencies at body temperature. Scientific reports, 9 (1)10.1038/s41598-019-45273-1
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Toan Pham, Kenneth Tran, Denis Loiselle, Andrew Taberner
- Tomalka, A., Röhrle O, Han, J.-C., Pham, T., Taberner, A. J., & Siebert, T. (2019). Extensive eccentric contractions in intact cardiac trabeculae: revealing compelling differences in contractile behaviour compared to skeletal muscles. Proceedings. Biological sciences, 286 (1903)10.1098/rspb.2019.0719
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Toan Pham, Andrew Taberner
- Dowrick, J. M., Tran, K., Loiselle, D. S., Nielsen, P. M. F., Taberner, A. J., Han, J.-C., & Ward, M.-L. (2019). The slow force response to stretch: Controversy and contradictions. Acta physiologica (Oxford, England), 226 (1)10.1111/apha.13250
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kenneth Tran, Denis Loiselle, Poul Nielsen, Marie-Louise Ward, Andrew Taberner, Jarrah Dowrick
- Taberner, A., Nielsen, P., Johnston, C., Anderson, A., Cheuk, M., Garrett, A., ... Ruddy, B. (2019). A Dynamometer for Nature's Engines. IEEE INSTRUMENTATION & MEASUREMENT MAGAZINE, 22 (2), 10-16. 10.1109/MIM.2019.8674628
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Denis Loiselle, Andrew Taberner, Poul Nielsen, Kenneth Tran, Bryan Ruddy, Amir Haji Rassouliha, Toan Pham, Jarrah Dowrick
- Han, J.-C., Pham, T., Taberner, A. J., Loiselle, D. S., & Tran, K. (2019). Solving a century-old conundrum underlying cardiac force-length relations. American journal of physiology. Heart and circulatory physiology, 316 (4), H781-H793. 10.1152/ajpheart.00763.2018
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Toan Pham, Andrew Taberner, Denis Loiselle, Kenneth Tran
- Han, J.-C., Tran, K., Taberner, A. J., Chapman, B., & Loiselle, D. S. (2019). Cardiac Energetics. In J. A. Zoladz (Ed.) (pp. 505-539). ACADEMIC PRESS LTD-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 10.1016/B978-0-12-814593-7.00023-2
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kenneth Tran, Andrew Taberner, Denis Loiselle
- Taberner, A. J., Zgierski-Johnston, C. M., Pham, T., Han, J.-C., Uddin, R., Loiselle, D. S., ... Nielsen, P. M. F. (2018). A Flowthrough Infusion Calorimeter for Measuring Muscle Energetics: Design and Performance. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 67 (7), 1690-1699. 10.1109/TIM.2018.2800838
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Denis Loiselle, Andrew Taberner, Bryan Ruddy, Poul Nielsen, Toan Pham