Dr Jiney Jose
Jiney Jose obtained his MS and PhD degrees in Organic Chemistry from Texas A&M Univeristy, Texas working with Professor Kevin Burgess. His research involved development of organic fluorescent probes and nanoparticles for cellular imaging studies. He received a cancer prevention research institute of Texas (CPRIT) fellowship to pursue postdoctoral research with Professor Eric V. Anslyn/ Prof. Kevin Dalby at the University of Texas at Austin. His research focused on developing tryptamine analogues for the treatment of breast cancer. He joined the Centre in 2012 as a research fellow. He is an Affiliate Investigator in the Maurice Wilkins Centre for Molecular Biodiscovery at the University of Auckland.
Research | Current
- His research interest includes cancer research, medicinal chemistry, synthetic organic chemistry, fluorescent probes and nanoparticles, immunosuppressive therapy, short acting anaesthetics.
- He is currently involved in an immunotherapy project developing small molecules for the treatment of Leukaemia. https://www.fmhs.auckland.ac.nz/en/sms/about/our-departments/auckland-cancer-society-research-centre/research-groups/medicinal-chemistry/inhibition-of-perforin.html
- He is also involved in the development and application of tumour targeting theranostic drug dye conjugates with brain penetrant properties for treatment of paediatric and adult brain cancers.https://curekids.org.nz/researchers/jiney-jose/
- He is always interested in training students who has an interest in medicinal chemistry.
- Cooper, E., Choi, P.J., Schweder, P., Mee, E., Turner, C., Faull, R., Denny, W.A., Dragunow, M., Park, T. I-H., Jose, J. (2021). Cytoprotective agent troxipide-cyanine dye conjugate with cytotoxic and antiproliferative activity in patient-derived glioblastoma cell lines. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 50, 128336.
- Cooper, E., Choi, P.J., Denny, W.A., Jose, J., Dragunow, M., Park, T. I-H. (2021). The use of Heptamethine Cyanine Dyes as Drug-conjugate Systems in the Treatment of Primary and Metastatic Brain Tumors. Front. Oncol., 11, 654921.
- Choi, P. J., Park, T. I-H., Cooper, E., Dragunow, M., William A. Denny, W. A., Jose, J. (2020). Heptamethine cyanine dye mediated drug delivery: hype or hope. Bioconjug. Chem., 31 (7), 1724-1739.
Teaching | Current
- 2020-present: CHEM750-Cancer drugs: Design, Chemistry and Mechanism of Action (Module coordinator and Lecturer)
- 2018: Pharm753 (Lecturer)
- 2021-: Christine Kim (PhD, co-supervisor)
- 2021-: Harpinder Brar (PhD, co-supervisor)
- 2020-: Elizabeth Cooper (PhD, co-supervisor)
- 2021: Anna Cullen (BSc (Hons), Supervisor)
- 2019: Elizabeth Cooper (BSc (Hons), co-supervisor)
- 2018: Ben Maloney (Summer studentship, co-supervisor)
- 2018: Elizabeth Cooper (Summer studentship, co-supervisor)
- 2018: Tina Shaban (Northern Hemisphere Summer studentship, supervisor)
- 2018: Keith & Meida Hepburn Young Scientist Award’ from the Cancer Society Auckland-Northland
- 2010-2011: Cancer prevention research institute of Texas post doctoral fellowship
- 2008: A.E. Martell Foundation Award, Department of Chemistry, Texas A&M University
- 2003-2009: Texas A&M University postgraduate scholarship
- 2002: Dyestuff Manufacturers Association of India Award for academic excellence, Mumbai, India
Areas of expertise
Organic fluorescent dyes
- 2019- present: Neurological foundation, New Zealand (NF)
- 2019-present: New Zealand Institute of Chemistry (NZIC)
- 2017-present: Independent chair for University of Auckland doctoral oral examinations.
- 2016-present: Reviewer for Journals: Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, Molecules, High Throughput, Marine drugs, Talanta
- 2008-present: Phi Kappa Phi Honour Society, United States of America
- 2003-present: American Chemical Society (ACS)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Choi, P. J., Park, T. I. H., Cooper, E., Dragunow, M., Denny, W. A., & Jose, J. (2020). Heptamethine Cyanine Dye Mediated Drug Delivery: Hype or Hope. Bioconjugate chemistry, 31 (7), 1724-1739. 10.1021/acs.bioconjchem.0c00302
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bill Denny, Thomas Park, Peter Choi
- Choi, P. J., Cooper, E., Schweder, P., Mee, E., Turner, C., Faull, R., ... Jose, J. (2020). PARP inhibitor cyanine dye conjugate with enhanced cytotoxic and antiproliferative activity in patient derived glioblastoma cell lines. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters, 30 (14)10.1016/j.bmcl.2020.127252
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Peter Choi, Bill Denny, Michael Dragunow, Thomas Park, Richard Faull
- Choi, P. J., Cooper, E., Schweder, P., Mee, E., Faull, R., Denny, W. A., ... Jose, J. (2019). The synthesis of a novel Crizotinib heptamethine cyanine dye conjugate that potentiates the cytostatic and cytotoxic effects of Crizotinib in patient-derived glioblastoma cell lines. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 29 (18), 2617-2621. 10.1016/j.bmcl.2019.07.051
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Thomas Park, Peter Choi, Richard Faull, Bill Denny, Michael Dragunow
- Jose, J., Spicer, J., Miller, C. K., O'Connor P, Giddens, A., Akhlaghi, H., ... Denny, W. A. (1/4/2019). Development of inhibitors of the pore forming protein perforin for the treatment of leukaemia. Poster presented at 257th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Orlando, FL, United States. MEDI-0164. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Julie Spicer, Anna Giddens, Bill Denny
- Jose, J., Choi, P., Noguchi, K., Ishiyama, M., & Denny, W. (31/3/2019). Synthesis of near-infrared emitting fluorescent dyes and their application in organelle specific labelling studies. Poster presented at 257th National Meeting of the American-Chemical-Society (ACS), Orlando, FL. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Peter Choi, Bill Denny
- Dimitrov, I., Denny, W. A., & Jose, J. (2018). Syntheses of Ketamine and Related Analogues: A Mini Review. SYNTHESIS-STUTTGART, 50 (21), 4201-4215. 10.1055/s-0037-1609935
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bill Denny, Ivo Dimitrov
- Choi, P., Noguchi, K., Ishiyama, M., Denny, W. A., & Jose, J. (2018). A mitochondria-selective near-infrared-emitting fluorescent dye forcellular imaging studies. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry letters, 28 (11), 2013-2017. 10.1016/j.bmcl.2018.05.001
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bill Denny, Peter Choi
- Jose, J., Spicer, J. A., Miller, C. K., O'Connor PD, Marshal, A., Jaiswal, J., ... Law, R. H. P. (15/9/2017). Thiazolecarboxamides as inhibitors of perforin function for potential immunosuppressive therapy. Poster presented at Drug Discovery India 2017, Bengaluru, India.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Julie Spicer, Jagdish Jaiswal, Stephen Jamieson, Bill Denny