Professor Jane Kelsey
PhD, MPhil, BCL, LLB(Hons)
Jane Kelsey is one of New Zealand's best-known critical commentators on issues of globalisation and neoliberalism. She has taught at the University of Auckland since 1979, specialising in socio-legal studies, law and policy and international economic regulation.
Jane is active internationally as a researcher, analyst, adviser and media commentators on globalisation, especially the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement, trade in services, and investment agreements. She is an active member of a number of international coalitions of academics, trade unionists, NGOs and social movements working for social justice.
A followup to her best-selling book on the neoliberal restructuring of New Zealand, 'The New Zealand Experiment. A World Model for Structural Adjustment?' will be published in 2015. Entitled 'The FIRE Economy', it examines the challenges of embedded neoliberalism in the context of financial crises, and was supported by a Marsden Fund research grant. Other recent books include 'Service Whose Interests? The Political Economy of Trade in Services Agreements' (Routledge Cavendish 2008), and the edited 'No Ordinary Deal. Unmasking the Trans-Pacific Partnership Free Trade Agreement' (ed) (Bridget Williams Books 2010), as well as many published articles.
Research | Current
International trade and investment agreements, financial crises, neoliberalism, policy and regulation.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Kelsey, J. (2015). The FIRE Economy New Zealand’s Reckoning. Bridget Williams Books. Pages: 344.
- Kelsey, J. (2015). Homage and heresy from a licensed subversive: Theorising paradigm change in transnational economic regulation. In U. Baxi, C. McCrudden, A. Paliwala (Eds.) Law's ethical, global, and theoretical contexts: Essays in honour of William Twining. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Kelsey, J., & Kilic, B. (2014). Briefing on US TISA proposal on e-commerce, technology transfer, cross-border data flows and net neutrality. Related URL.
- Kelsey, J. (2014). ISDS: Controversy and cases. Paper presented at Workshop: Investment Agreements and Development Policy: The way forward, India International Centre, New Delhi, India. 17 December - 17 December 2014. Related URL.
- Kelsey, J. (2014). Implications of TPP provisions on regulatory coherence, state-owned enterprises and competition. Paper presented at Commonwealth Secretariat and UNCTAD, International Conference on “Mega Trading Blocs: Implications for Developing Countries", New Delhi, India. 15 December - 16 December 2014. Related URL.
- Kelsey, J. (2014). Current services liberalisation and content of the TISA. Paper presented at From GATS to TISA: Global Trade in Services Forum, Geneva, Switzerland. 17 October - 18 October 2014. Related URL.
- Kelsey, J. (2014). Behind the guns: International economic law as a strategy for regime change. Paper presented at 12th Annual Session of the Rhodes Forum: World Order and the Politics of Regime Change at World Public Forum Dialogue of Civilizations, Rhodes, Greece. 26 September - 30 September 2014. Related URL.
- Kelsey, J. (2014). Global perspective/reflections on health reforms and alignment with current policy direction. Paper presented at New Zealand Nurses Organisation Annual Conference, Wellington, NZ. 17 September - 18 September 2014. Related URL.
- +64 9 923 8006
- Media Contact
Mondays and Wednesdays 2 - 3pm
17 EDEN CRESCENT - Bldg 803
Level 2 , Room 212
17 EDEN CRES