Mr John Joseph McCaffery
BA (Hons), DipTESOL, DipTchg, HDipTchg
John McCaffery is a Honorary Staff member School of Curriculum and Pedagogy, Faculty of Education.
Doctorate in progress
- Title: Simultaneous Biliteracy at Richmond Road School: Tusi ma fatiau i gagana e lua; in Māori, Samoan and French contexts at Richmond Road School, Ponsonby
Research | Current
Research and Professional Development expertise in; English Literacy/ Languages/ TESOL/ Biliteracy/ Bilingual/ Immersion education, Multilingualism , Diversity, Critical multiculturalism, Pasifika education, Māori education.
Teaching | Current
Areas of expertise
English/ Literacy/ Languages/ TESOL/ Biliteracy/ Bilingual/ Immersion education, Diversity, Critical multiculturalism, Pasifika education, Māori education.
Advisory roles (national/international)
- 2006-2008 University of Auckland Consultant to Cook Is Ministry of Education on their 2006-2008 Nine schools pilot Bilingual Education project - Rarotonga and outer Islands.
Membership of professional committees/groups
- Member NZARE
- Member TESOLANZ (TESOL New Zealand)
- Associate of the New Zealand Educational Institute (ANZEI)
- Executive member of Te Reo Māori Society. VUW/ Otara/ Aotearoa.
- Executive member of Ulimasao Pasifika Bilingual Education Association
- Former chair Māori Education Committee, NZ Educational Institute (NZEI)
Invited presentations (professional) 2010
- McCaffery, J. (2010) ESOL in the Classroom: Research Indications. A keynote presentation to the New Zealand Principals Federation Annual Conference Waipuna Lodge June, 2-4, 2010
- McCaffery, J. (2010) PPTA Pacific Island Teachers Auckland Conference. Keynote presentation: Where are we going with the teaching of Pasifika languages in Aotearoa/NZ 2010. Mangere
- 2009 & 2010 PPTA Komiti Pasifika. Pasifika languages research studies briefing. PPTA, Auckland.
- Languages expert, Native Affairs Māori Television. The Future of Pasifika Languages programme. September 2009
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- McCaffery, J. J., & McFall-McCaffery, J. A. T. (2011). Rejuvenating endangered Pacific languages in New Zealand. Paper presented at Language Education and Diversity Conference University of Auckland 2011, University of Auckland, New Zealand. 22 November - 25 November 2011.
- McCaffery, J. J., & McFall - McCaffery, J. T. (2010). O tatou ō aga’i i fea?: 'Oku tau ō ki fe?: Where are we heading?: Pasifika languages in Aotearoa/New Zealand. AlterNative : An International Journal of Indigenous Scholarship, 6 (2: Special Supplement Issue Ngaahi Lea 'a e Kakai Pasifiki: Endangered Pacific Languages and Cultures), 86-121.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Judy McFall-McCaffery
- McCaffery, J. J., & Lowman, C. (2009). The case for differentiated instruction for students in bilingual/immersion education. Paper presented at Presentation to the Auckland Literacy Network, Richmond Road School, Auckland. 11 March - 11 March 2009. Research presentation to Auckland Literacy Network.
- McCaffery, J. J., & Lowman, C. (2008). Towards bilinguality and biliteracy : Tuhituhi/ panui i roto i nga reo e rua.. Presentation to Thames area Kura, KKM, Kohanga, Whanau, Marae, Iwi, Kaumatua ratou katoa..
By email arrangement
Primary office location
B - BLOCK. EPSOM - Bldg 6EB
Level 1, Room 112
EPSOM CAMPUS 74 EPSOM AVE