Mr John Joseph McCaffery
BA, BA (Hons 1st Class ), DipTESOL VUW, DipTchg, HDipTchg
John McCaffery is a Honorary Staff member School of Curriculum and Pedagogy and Te Puna Wānanga School of Māori and Indigenous Studies, Faculty of Education.
Research in progress
- Title: Simultaneous Biliteracy: Tusi ma fatiau i gagana e lua; in Māori, Samoan and French contexts in Aotearoa NZ.
- A personal history of the struggle for Te Reo Māori rejuvenation 1970-2021
- The struggle by Pasifika Bilingual Education for a Place in the Sun 1986/7-2021
Research | Current
Research and Professional Development expertise in; English Literacy/ Languages/ TESOL/ Biliteracy/ Bilingual/ Immersion education, Multilingualism , Diversity, Critical multiculturalism, Pasifika education, Māori education.
Teaching | Current
Honorary Academic /Senior Lecturer/ Research and on request support e.g. teaching presentations
Te Puna Wānanga School of Maori & Indigenous Studies -On request guest lectures presentation, research support Huarahi Māori programme - Head Of Programme -Hemi Dale
Guest Lectures, Bilingual Schools PLD, tutorials and public presentations on Bilingualism Bilingual Education ,
Support on request CURPD Biliteracy -Prof Janet Gaffney and Assoc Professor Rebecca Jesson . On request to Graduate Diploma of TESSOL-
Support Supervisers when requested e.g. Biliteracy or Bilingual /Immerson Education Māori and Pacific
ANZEI NZ Education Institute for contributions to Māori education
Taura Whiri i te Reo Māori / NZ Māori language Commission -2012 Supreme Award- Community Contribution to Te Reo Māori Award as executive founding member of Te Reo Māori Society VUW / TRM ki Otara.
2017 Tohu Raukura Award. For Måori Education contribution to Te Puna Wananga, UOA
Top Student NZ Teachers Group DIp TESSOL VUW 1980
Top student BA Hons (Linguistics Anthropology and Māori ) 1973
Te Rangihiroa Distibnction Award Maori and Anthropology VUW 1972
Conduct and share personal research. and research presentations. Provide research and on request teaching support on Bilingual /Immersion Education Huarahi Māori and Tamaki Makaurau history
Areas of expertise
Bilingual/ Multilingual Education,
Biliteracy, Māori Education,
Pasifika /Pacific Nations Education,
Language Policy Pacific region
National Language Policy
Language Revitilisation/ Revival /Loss /Shift/..
Vocabulary, Lexical Chunking
The Constitutional Realm of New Zealand
The O'Donnells of Donegal-
Second Language Learning and Teaching(2ndLL) Teaching of Reading and Writing (English Literacy ),
Reading and Writing Assessment (especially of 2nd LL)
Advisory roles (national/international)
- 2006-2008 University of Auckland Consultant to Cook Is Ministry of Education on their 2006-2008 Nine schools pilot Bilingual Education project - Rarotonga and outer Islands.
- 2013-2015 Consultant on design and implementation of America Samoa Taumalua Bilingual Education Project; to Director Department of Education, American Samoa Dr Salu Hunkin
- 2014-present .PELP Pacific Early Literacy Dual Language Project Design Team member
- 2020 PELP Realm Languages Advisor.
- 2017- Ministry of Pacific Peoples Adviser -Pacific Languages Strategy. Verification: Minister Aupito William Sio MPP
- Researcher for Ulimasao Bilingual Education Association -verification Dr Patisepa Tuafuti Tuafuti Education ltd
- Researcher for Mana Pasifika Alliance -Verification:Tupa'i Peter Pelua, Senior Policy Analyst, Min of Pacific Peoples Wgton
- 2019- Advisory Role, ERO National Office Pacific Bilingual Immersion Education
- 2020- Ministry of Education Advisory Pasifika /Pacific Bilingual Immersion Education and Biliteracy
- Future Directions for Language Programmes PEC (Pacific Education Centre) Christine Nurminen, Director
- Official Blind Peer Reviewer for 2008/9 NZARE Conference papers
- Official Blind Reviewer LED Conferences 2007-2015
Membership of professional committees/groups
- Member NZARE and NZARE Pacific Caucus
- Member TESOLANZ (TESOL New Zealand)
- Associate of the New Zealand Educational Institute (ANZEI)
- Executive member of Te Reo Māori Society. VUW/ Otara/ Aotearoa.
- Executive member of Ulimasao Pasifika Bilingual Education Association
- Former chair NZEI Māori Education Committee, NZ Educational Institute (NZEI)
- Co Cordinato/ Researcher Bilingual Leo Pacific Coalition
- Researcher Mana Pasifika Alliance -Verification Christine Nieurman Director Pacific Education Centre Otara ( PEC)
- Executive member Lead Group, Auckland Languages Strategy, (ALS COMET)
- Executive member Lead Group (ALS COMET)National Education languages Strategy . NZ National Languages Policy development -verification; COMET CEO Susan Warren
Invited presentations (professional) 2010-present
- McCaffery, J. (2010) ESOL in the Classroom: Research Indications. A keynote presentation to the New Zealand Principals Federation Annual Conference Waipuna Lodge June, 2-4, 2010
- McCaffery, J. (2010) PPTA Pacific Island Teachers Auckland Conference. Keynote presentation: Where are we going with the teaching of Pasifika languages in Aotearoa/NZ 2010. Mangere
- 2018 NZARE Pacific Pre Confrerence Symposium Current Developments in Pacific Bilingual Education
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- McCaffery, J. J., & McFall-McCaffery, J. A. T. (2011). Rejuvenating endangered Pacific languages in New Zealand. Paper presented at Language Education and Diversity Conference University of Auckland 2011, University of Auckland, New Zealand. 22 November - 25 November 2011.
- McCaffery, J. J., & McFall - McCaffery, J. T. (2010). O tatou ō aga’i i fea?: 'Oku tau ō ki fe?: Where are we heading?: Pasifika languages in Aotearoa/New Zealand. AlterNative : An International Journal of Indigenous Scholarship, 6 (2: Special Supplement Issue Ngaahi Lea 'a e Kakai Pasifiki: Endangered Pacific Languages and Cultures), 86-121.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Judy McFall-McCaffery
- McCaffery, J. J., & Lowman, C. (2009). The case for differentiated instruction for students in bilingual/immersion education. Paper presented at Presentation to the Auckland Literacy Network, Richmond Road School, Auckland. 11 March - 11 March 2009. Research presentation to Auckland Literacy Network.
- McCaffery, J. J., & Lowman, C. (2008). Towards bilinguality and biliteracy : Tuhituhi/ panui i roto i nga reo e rua.. Presentation to Thames area Kura, KKM, Kohanga, Whanau, Marae, Iwi, Kaumatua ratou katoa..
- Media Contact
By email arrangement
Primary office location
C - BLOCK. EPSOM - Bldg 6EC
Level G, Room G01
EPSOM CAMPUS 74 EPSOM AVE