Dr Judith Patricia McCool
BA, MPH, PhD
Dr Judith McCool has led the postgraduate courses in global health delivered within the Master of Public Health and Master of Health Leadership programmes since 2008. In 2009, Judith was instrumental in establishing the Global Health Group at the University of Auckland, a network of academics and practitioners working in global health, with a focus on the Asia Pacific Rim region.
Judith has led research grants in her field of expertise, including tobacco control, mHealth, health communications and been involved in research relating to hearing and eye health. Judith’s specific research interests lies in understanding the role of media, including social and digital media as a communication tool for social and behaviour change and health equity.
Although based in Auckland, New Zealand, Judith has established long-term partnerships across the Pacific Islands region to support government and NGOs goals for NCD prevention through implementation research and capacity development. Other areas of involvement include investigating the value of overseas electives on medical student training and improving equitable access to eye health services in the Pacific region (in partnership with the Pacific Eye Institute).
Teaching | Current
Coordinator for POPHLTH 715: Global Public Health.
Coordinator: POPLHLTH 752: Case studies in Global Health
Coordinator: Year 4 MBChB Formal Learning Week (Global Health)
Director: Master of Health Leadership (2016-2018)
Stream Leader: Master of Health Leadership (Global Health)
Aini Shamsi: An analysis of Malaysian new media representation of NCDs.
Elizabeth Holt: Otitis Media and Hearing Impairment in Children in Fiji: A Mixed-Methods Study
Julienne Falatau: Text messaging support for the Tongan community with pre-diabetes in Auckland, New Zealand
Amio Ikihele: Reducing CVD risk: An mHealth healthy living programme for Pacific people living in New Zealand.
Lathika Athuada: The influence of the alcohol marketing policy environment on adolescent drinking in Sri Lanka
Lucy Hardie: Marketing of vaping producting in New Zealand.
Co-Chair of the Health Research Council of NZ Scientific Advisory Group
Member, New Zealand Delegation to the 2019 World Health Assembly
Member, APRU Global Health Steeting Group
Areas of expertise
Global health, health communication, mobile health (mHealth), tobacco control, adolescent health, risk perceptons, sensory loss (hearing and vision).
- Asia Pacific Rim Universities Global Health Steering Committee
- Member of Australasian Society of Behavioural Health and Medicine
- Chair Health Research Council Scientific Advisory Committee
- Member of the Medical Elective Committee, University of Auckland
- Research Advisor, The Fred Hollows Foundation New Zealand
- Member (elect) International Committee, University of Auckland
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Tanielu, H., McCool, J., Umali, E., & Whittaker, R. (2017). Samoan smokers talk about smoking and quitting: A focus group study. Nicotine & Tobacco Research10.1093/ntr/ntx152
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Elaine Umali
- Waqa, G., McCool, J., Snowdon, W., & Freeman, B. (2015). Adolescents perceptions of pro- and antitobacco imagery and marketing: Qualitative study of students from Suva, Fiji. Biomed Research International, 2015.10.1155/2015/602635.
- Wilkinson, B., McCool, J. P., & Bois, G. (2014). Voluntourism: an analysis of the online marketing of a fast-growing industry. International journal of communication and health, 2014 (4), 10-15. Related URL.
- Fa'alili-Fidow J, McCool, J., & Percival, T. (2014). Trade and health in Samoa: views from the insiders. BMC public health, 1410.1186/1471-2458-14-309
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Teuila Percival, Jacinta Fa'alili-Fidow
- McCool, J., Freeman, B., & Tanielu, H. (2014). Perceived social and media influences on tobacco use among Samoan youth. BMC public health, 14.10.1186/1471-2458-14-1100
- McCool, J., Hoek, J., Edwards, R., Thomson, G., & Gifford, H. (2013). Crossing the smoking divide for young adults: Expressions of stigma and identity among smokers and nonsmokers. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 15 (2), 552-556. 10.1093/ntr/nts136
- Gendall, P., Hoek, J., Edwards, R., & McCool, J. (2012). A cross-sectional analysis of how young adults perceive tobacco brands: Implications for FCTC signatories. BMC Public Health, 12 (796).10.1186/1471-2458-12-796
- McCool, J. P., Webb, L., Cameron, L. D., & Hoek, J. (2012). Graphic warning labels on plain cigarette packs: Will they make a difference to adolescents?. Social Science and Medicine, 74 (8), 1269-1273. 10.1016/j.socscimed.2011.12.043
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Linda Cameron
Primary office location
M&HS BUILDING 507 - Bldg 507
Level 1, Room 1001
28 PARK AVE