Dr Janine Paynter
BSc (Hons) PhD
Research | Current
Measuring the impact of the MeNZB vaccine on gonorrhoea in New Zealand using a case-control study and cohort study.
Investigating the effectiveness of the pneumococcal vaccine against pneumonia, otitis media (ear infection) and invasive pneumococcal disease.
Areas of expertise
Tobacco control, health communication, data analysis, research methodology, public health
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Petousis-Harris, H., Paynter, J., Morgan, J., Saxton, P. J., McArdle, B., Goodyear-Smith, F., & Black, S. (2017). Effectiveness of a group B outer membrane vesicle meningococcal vaccine against gonorrhoea in New Zealand: a retrospective case-control study. Lancet10.1016/S0140-6736(17)31449-6
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Peter Saxton, Helen Petousis-Harris, Barbara McArdle, Felicity Goodyear-Smith
- Paynter, J., Glover, M., Bullen, C., & Sonia, D. (2016). An intervention to reduce the number of convenience stores selling tobacco: feasibility study. Tobacco control, 25 (3), 319-324. 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2014-052045
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Christopher Bullen
- Petousis-Harris, H., Walls, T., Watson, D., Paynter, J., Graham, P., & Turner, N. (2016). Safety of Tdap vaccine in pregnant women: an observational study. BMJ Open, 6 (4).10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010911
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nikki Turner, Helen Petousis-Harris
- Petousis-Harris, H., & Paynter, J. (2016). Cherry picked case reports are not scientific evidence in the face of large clinical and epidemiological studies. Clinical rheumatology, 35 (3), 837-838. 10.1007/s10067-016-3189-x
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Helen Petousis-Harris
- Glover, M., Nosa, V., Gentles, D., Watson, D., & Paynter, J. (2014). Do New Zealand Māori and Pacific ‘walk the talk’ when it comes to stopping smoking? A qualitative study of motivation to quit. Journal of Smoking Cessation, 9 (02), 68-75. 10.1017/jsc.2013.22
- Palmer, K., Bullen, C., & Paynter, J. (2013). What role can local authorities play in tobacco 'end-game' policies in New Zealand?. Policy Quarterly, 9 (3), 59-64. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kenneth Palmer, Christopher Bullen
- Li, J., Paynter, J., & Arroll, B. (2012). A cross-sectional study of menthol cigarette preference by 14- to 15-year-old smokers in New Zealand. Nicotine & tobacco research : official journal of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, 14 (7), 857-863. 10.1093/ntr/ntr299
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bruce Arroll
- Smith, A., McCool, J. P., Paynter, J., & Newcombe, R. (2012). Youth opinions of tobacco control in New Zealand: support for specific measures and the relationship with smoking behaviors among 14-15-year-olds. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 14 (4), 479-485. 10.1093/ntr/ntr239
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Judith McCool