Dr Janine Paynter
BSc (Hons) PhD
Research | Current
Measuring the impact of the MeNZB vaccine on gonorrhoea in New Zealand using a case-control study and cohort study.
Investigating the effectiveness of the pneumococcal vaccine against pneumonia, otitis media (ear infection) and invasive pneumococcal disease.
Vaccination coverage in New Zealand
Areas of expertise
Vaccine safety and effectiveness, public health, tobacco control, observational studies, large datasets
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Paynter, J., Goodyear-Smith, F., Morgan, J., Saxton, P., Black, S., & Petousis-Harris, H. (2019). Effectiveness of a Group B Outer Membrane Vesicle Meningococcal Vaccine in Preventing Hospitalization from Gonorrhea in New Zealand: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Vaccines, 7 (1).10.3390/vaccines7010005
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Felicity Goodyear-Smith, Peter Saxton, Helen Petousis-Harris
- Charania, N. A., Paynter, J., Lee, A. C., Watson, M. D. G., & Turner, N. M. (2018). Exploring immunisation inequities among migrant and refugee children in New Zealand. Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics10.1080/21645515.2018.1496769
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nikki Turner, Arier Lee
- Glasgow, M. J., Harding, J. E., Edlin, R., & Children with Hypoglycemia and Their Later Development (CHYLD) Study Team (2018). Cost Analysis of Treating Neonatal Hypoglycemia with Dextrose Gel. The Journal of pediatrics, 198, 151-155.e1. 10.1016/j.jpeds.2018.02.036
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Matthew Glasgow, Jane Harding, Richard Edlin, Jane Alsweiler, Deborah Harris, Benjamin Thompson, Anne Jaquiery, Trecia Wouldes, Anna Tottman
- Baumann, K. E., Paynter, J., Petousis-Harris, H., Prymula, R., Yang, Y. T., & Shaw, J. (2018). Comparison of vaccination coverage of four childhood vaccines in New Zealand and New York State. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health10.1111/jpc.14289
- Petousis-Harris, H., Paynter, J., Morgan, J., Saxton, P., Goodyear-Smith, F., & Black, S. (2018). Pitfalls of the healthy vaccinee effect - Authors' reply. Lancet (London, England), 391 (10116), 123-124. 10.1016/s0140-6736(18)30018-7
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Peter Saxton, Helen Petousis-Harris, Felicity Goodyear-Smith
- Petousis-Harris, H., Paynter, J., Morgan, J., Saxton, P., McArdle, B., Goodyear-Smith, F., & Black, S. (2017). Effectiveness of a group B outer membrane vesicle meningococcal vaccine against gonorrhoea in New Zealand: A retrospective case-control study. The Lancet, 390 (10102), 1603-1610. 10.1016/s0140-6736(17)31449-6
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Peter Saxton, Helen Petousis-Harris, Barbara McArdle, Felicity Goodyear-Smith
- Howe, A., Petousis-Harris, H., Paynter, J., Griffin, J., Watson, D., & Turner, N. (2017). Inequities in pneumococcal disease following introduction of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in NZ. Paper presented at PHAA Communicable Disease Control Conference 2017, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. 26 June - 28 June 2017.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Anna Howe, Helen Petousis-Harris, Nikki Turner
- Howe, A., Petousis-Harris, H., Paynter, J., Best, E., Watson, D., & Turner, N. (2017). Reduction in sociodemographic disparities for otitis media hospitalisation rates in young children following introduction of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in New Zealand. Paper presented at The 19th International Symposium on Recent Advances in Otitis Media, Gold Coast, Australia. 4 June - 8 June 2017.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Emma Best, Anna Howe, Helen Petousis-Harris, Donna Watson, Nikki Turner