Professor Jamie Sleigh
MBChB FFARCS FANZCA FJFICM MD
Research | Current
The EEG and anaesthesia. Development of ester analogues of ketamine. Theoretical modelling of cortical changes in anaesthesia, sleep, and seizures.
SIGNIFICANT DISTINCTIONS / AWARDS
- Waikato Kudos award – for Medical research 2007
- High-density EEG mapping during general anaesthesia with Xenon and Propofol: a pilot study. ANAESTHESIA AND INTENSIVE CARE: BEST PAPER AWARD 2003.
- D H Mckay, L J Voss, J W Sleigh, J P Barnard and E K Johannsen. Modelling the hypnotic effect of sevoflurane using the spectral entropy of the electroencephalogram. Won first prize at the ANZCA conference Auckland 2005.
- R. W. Frengley, D. N. Closey, J. W. Sleigh, J. M. Torrance. The effect of closed system suction on airway pressures when using the Servo 300 ventilator. Won first prize at the World Society of ICU conference Sydney 2000.
Areas of expertise
Signal processing and EEG. Mechanisms of general anaesthesia and consciousness. Clinical anaesthesia.
- Lecturer, Dept Anaesthesia University of Zimbabwe (1986-1988).
- Specialist Anaesthetist Wanganui Hospital (1988-1991).
- Specialist Anaesthetist/Senior Lecturer: Waikato Hospital/Auckland Medical School (1992-2001).
- Professor of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Waikato Clinical School, University of Auckland (2001-present).
- Honorary Lecturer Department of Physics, University of Waikato
- Fellow of Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthestists: Part One examiner
- University of Auckland, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences - Waikato Representative, Board of Research
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Chiang, N., Rodda, O. A., Sleigh, J., & Vasudevan, T. (2017). Perioperative warming, oxygen, and Ilomedin on oxygenation and healing in infrainguinal bypass surgery. The Journal of surgical research, 220, 197-205. 10.1016/j.jss.2017.06.043
- Guldenmund, P., Vanhaudenhuyse, A., Sanders, R. D., Sleigh, J., Bruno, M. A., Demertzi, A., ... Baquero, K. (2017). Brain functional connectivity differentiates dexmedetomidine from propofol and natural sleep. BJA: British Journal of Anaesthesia, 119 (4), 674-684. 10.1093/bja/aex257
- Gaskell, A. L., Hight, D. F., Winders, J., Tran, G., Defresne, A., Bonhomme, V., ... Sanders, R. D. (2017). Frontal alpha-delta EEG does not preclude volitional response during anaesthesia: prospective cohort study of the isolated forearm technique. BJA: British Journal of Anaesthesia10.1093/bja/aex170
- Hernandez, B. A., Lindroth, H., Rowley, P., Boncyk, C., Raz, A., Gaskell, A., ... Sanders, R. D. (2017). Post-anaesthesia care unit delirium: Incidence, risk factors and associated adverse outcomes. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 119 (2), 288-290. 10.1093/bja/aex197
- Hight, D. F., Voss, L. J., García PS, & Sleigh, J. W. (2017). Electromyographic activation reveals cortical and sub-cortical dissociation during emergence from general anesthesia. Journal of clinical monitoring and computing, 31 (4), 813-823. 10.1007/s10877-016-9911-z
- Upton, H. D., Ludbrook, G. L., Wing, A., & Sleigh, J. W. (2017). Intraoperative "Analgesia Nociception Index"- guided fentanyl administration during sevoflurane anesthesia in lumbar discectomy and laminectomy: A randomized clinical trial. Anesthesia and Analgesia, 125 (1), 81-90. 10.1213/ane.0000000000001984
- Hashemi, M., Hutt, A., Hight, D., & Sleigh, J. (2017). Anesthetic action on the transmission delay between cortex and thalamus explains the beta-buzz observed under propofol anesthesia. PLOS ONE, 12 (6), e0179286-e0179286. 10.1371/journal.pone.0179286
- Hight, D., Voss, L. J., Garcia, P. S., & Sleigh, J. (2017). Changes in Alpha Frequency and Power of the Electroencephalogram during Volatile-Based General Anesthesia. Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience, 11.10.3389/fnsys.2017.00036