Professor Jamie Sleigh
MBChB FFARCS FANZCA FJFICM MD
Research | Current
The EEG and anaesthesia. Development of ester analogues of ketamine. Theoretical modelling of cortical changes in anaesthesia, sleep, and seizures.
SIGNIFICANT DISTINCTIONS / AWARDS
- Waikato Kudos award – for Medical research 2007
- High-density EEG mapping during general anaesthesia with Xenon and Propofol: a pilot study. ANAESTHESIA AND INTENSIVE CARE: BEST PAPER AWARD 2003.
- D H Mckay, L J Voss, J W Sleigh, J P Barnard and E K Johannsen. Modelling the hypnotic effect of sevoflurane using the spectral entropy of the electroencephalogram. Won first prize at the ANZCA conference Auckland 2005.
- R. W. Frengley, D. N. Closey, J. W. Sleigh, J. M. Torrance. The effect of closed system suction on airway pressures when using the Servo 300 ventilator. Won first prize at the World Society of ICU conference Sydney 2000.
Areas of expertise
Signal processing and EEG. Mechanisms of general anaesthesia and consciousness. Clinical anaesthesia.
- Lecturer, Dept Anaesthesia University of Zimbabwe (1986-1988).
- Specialist Anaesthetist Wanganui Hospital (1988-1991).
- Specialist Anaesthetist/Senior Lecturer: Waikato Hospital/Auckland Medical School (1992-2001).
- Professor of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Waikato Clinical School, University of Auckland (2001-present).
- Honorary Lecturer Department of Physics, University of Waikato
- Fellow of Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthestists: Part One examiner
- University of Auckland, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences - Waikato Representative, Board of Research
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Hutt, A., Lefebvre, J., Hight, D., & Sleigh, J. (2018). Suppression of underlying neuronal fluctuations mediates EEG slowing during general anaesthesia. NeuroImage, 179, 414-428. 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2018.06.043
- Chiang, N., Rodda, O. A., Kang, A., Sleigh, J., & Vasudevan, T. (2018). Clinical Evaluation of Portable Wound Volumetric Measurement Devices. Advances in Skin & Wound Care, 31 (8), 374-380. 10.1097/01.ASW.0000540072.52782.24
- Sanders, R. D., Mostert, N., Lindroth, H., Tononi, G., & Sleigh, J. (2018). Is consciousness frontal? Two perioperative case reports that challenge that concept. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 121 (1), 330-332. 10.1016/j.bja.2018.01.010
- Gaskell, A., Sanders, R. D., & Sleigh, J. (2018). Using EEG markers to titrate anaesthesia. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 121 (1), 327-329. 10.1016/j.bja.2018.04.003
- Sleigh, J. (2018). Probing the twilight zone of anaesthetic-induced composite consciousness. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 121 (1), 196-197. 10.1016/j.bja.2018.04.026
- Sleigh, J., Warnaby, C., & Tracey, I. (2018). General anaesthesia as fragmentation of selfhood: insights from electroencephalography and neuroimaging. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 121 (1), 233-240. 10.1016/j.bja.2017.12.038
- Sanders, R. D., Gaskell, A., & Sleigh, J. (2018). Can use of frontal EEG monitoring increase intraoperative connected consciousness?. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 121 (1), 191-193. 10.1016/j.bja.2018.03.019
- Chiang, N., Jain, J. K., Sleigh, J., & Vasudevan, T. (2018). Measuring Transcutaneous Oxygenation to Validate the Duration Required to Achieve Electrode Equilibration. Advances in Skin & Wound Care, 31 (6), 263-269. 10.1097/01.ASW.0000530847.49484.4b