Dr Jonathan Sperry
- Feb 2017-present. Associate Professor in Organic and Medicinal Chemistry, University of Auckland.
- Feb 2014- 2019. RSNZ Rutherford Discovery Fellow
- Feb 2012- Feb 2017. Senior Lecturer in Organic and Medicinal Chemistry, University of Auckland.
- Nov 2009- Feb 2012. Lecturer in Organic and Medicinal Chemistry, University of Auckland
- Mar 2006- Nov 2009. Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Auckland, New Zealand, (RSNZ Marsden Fund, D.Prof. M. A. Brimble FRS)
- Oct 2002- Feb 2006. Ph.D Synthetic Organic Chemistry, University of Exeter, UK. Biomimetic Oxidations in Natural Product Synthesis (Prof. C. J. Moody)
- 1999-2002. BSc (Hons) Biological and Medicinal Chemistry, 1st class. University of Exeter, UK. Final year project: A Diels Alder approach to Vitamin B6 analogues
Research | Current
****Ph.D SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE FOR 2019**** Contact Jon for more details
BSc(Hons) / MSc
Several Honours and MSc projects are available for students starting in semesters 1 and 2. Please contact Jon for further information
A number of funding sources are available to support students into their PhD studies. The application processes are conducted through the University of Auckland, however please get in contact with Jon first to discuss the application. If you are an Australian or New Zealand student with a first class honours degree then you should be eligible for a scholarship.
If you are from outside Australasia, possess a stellar academic record and good English skills (TOEFL scores), I will endeavour to organise a scholarship for you.
If your country has a scholarship program then please contact Jon to see if we are able to support an application.
We regularly host interns from all over the world. If you are interested spending some time in the Sperry lab, please contact Jon
Our Research interests can be split into three main areas:
- Organic Synthesis -
Study of natural product synthesis as a platform for methods development.
Particular emphasis is placed on compounds that possess unprecedented architecture, biomimetic synthesis and novel reaction development.
- Medicinal chemistry -
We have a strong interest in developing therapeutics for areas of unmet need, for example;
The synthesis and biophysical analysis of isocitrate lyase (ICL) inhibitors for the treatment of latent tuberculosis - in collaboration with Dr Ivan Leung and Dr Ghader Bashiri (University of Auckland)
Natural products (and their analogues) for the treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders such as depression, schizophrenia, psychosis, OCD, anxiety, etc.
Novel therapeutics targeting the PSA-NCAM complex - in collaboration with A/P Maurice Curtis (Centre for Brain Research). This work is focused on discovering fundamentally new strategies to treat brain cancers, glioma, glioblastoma etc.
- Sustainable Synthesis / Green Chemistry -
Biorenewable platform chemicals in the synthesis of fine and commodity chemicals, in collaboration with A/P Shinji Kudo (Kyushu University, Japan), A/P Ning Yan (National University of Singapore) and Prof. Xianhei Zeng (Xiamen University)
Mechanochemical degradation of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) and pharmaceutical waste
Valorization of lignin to access valuable alkanes for use as bio-based solvents, transportation fuels etc
Green solvents and reagents.
Teaching | Current
- CHEM 230
- CHEM 260
- CHEM 330
- CHEM 360
- CHEM 730
- CHEM 735
- CHEM 750
Dr Ashley Lindsay
Se Hun Kim (2016)
Ryan Dixon (2016)
Ardalan Nabi (2016)
Trang Pham (2016)
Kirsty Anderson (2017)
Jessica Liyu (2017)
Maurycy Prystupa (2017)
Shi-Wei Kim (2017)
Annabelle Collins (2018)
Rory Devlin (2018)
Kapish Gobindlal (2018)
Seongmin Paul Jun
Kararaina Te Puni
RSNZ Rutherford Discovery Fellowship 2014-2019
Thieme Chemistry Journal Award 2014
Deans Commendation 2002
Henry Normon Rydon Award 2001
Deans Commendation 2000
Associate Professor in Organic and Medicinal Chemistry
Rutherford Discovery Fellow
Areas of expertise
Organic and Sustainable Synthesis
Founding member of the Centre for Green Chemical Science (CGCS)
2016-2018 Chair: Auckland branch of the New Zealand Institute of Chemistry (NZIC)
School of Chemical Sciences Research Committee
School of Chemical Sciences Wellbeing Officer
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Pham, T. T., Lindsay, A. C., Chen, X., Gözaydin G, Yan, N., & Sperry, J. (2019). Transferring the biorenewable nitrogen present in chitin to several N-Functional groups. Sustainable Chemistry and Pharmacy, 13.10.1016/j.scp.2019.100143
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ashley Lindsay
- Jeong, J. Y., Sperry, J., & Brimble, M. A. (2019). Synthesis of the Tetracyclic Cores of the Integrastatins, Epicoccolide A and Epicocconigrone A. The Journal of organic chemistry10.1021/acs.joc.9b01796
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Margaret Brimble
- Feng, Y., Yan, G., Wang, T., Jia, W., Zeng, X., Sperry, J., ... Lin, L. (2019). Cu-1-Cu-0 bicomponent CuNPs@ZIF-8 for highly selective hydrogenation of biomass derived 5-hydroxymethylfurfural. GREEN CHEMISTRY, 21 (16), 4319-4323. 10.1039/c9gc01331h
- Lindsay, A. C., Kudo, S., & Sperry, J. (2019). Cleavage of lignin model compounds and ligninox using aqueous oxalic acid. Organic & biomolecular chemistry, 17 (31), 7408-7415. 10.1039/c9ob01452g
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ashley Lindsay
- Huang, X., Kudo, S., Sperry, J., & Hayashi, J.-I. (2019). Clean Synthesis of 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural and Levulinic Acid by Aqueous Phase Conversion of Levoglucosenone over Solid Acid Catalysts. ACS SUSTAINABLE CHEMISTRY & ENGINEERING, 7 (6), 5892-5899. 10.1021/acssuschemeng.8b05873
- Feng, Y., Yan, G., Wang, T., Jia, W., Zeng, X., Sperry, J., ... Lin, L. (2019). Synthesis of MCM-41-Supported Metal Catalysts in Deep Eutectic Solvent for the Conversion of Carbohydrates into 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural. ChemSusChem, 12 (5), 978-982. 10.1002/cssc.201802792
- Thuy, T. P., Gozaydin, G., Sohnel, T., Yan, N., & Sperry, J. (2019). Oxidative Ring-Expansion of a Chitin-Derived Platform Enables Access to Unexplored 2-Amino Sugar Chemical Space. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF ORGANIC CHEMISTRY (6), 1355-1360. 10.1002/ejoc.201801683
- Homer, J. A., & Sperry, J. (2018). Biomimetic synthesis of the bisindole framework present in sciodole, an alkaloid from Tricholoma sciodes. Organic & biomolecular chemistry, 16 (38), 6882-6885. 10.1039/c8ob02142b