Dr Julie Ann Spicer
Julie completed her BSc(hons) and PhD with Professor Margaret Brimble at Massey University, before moving to the Auckland Cancer Society Research Centre in 1995 to work on topoisomerase-targeted anticancer agents.
Research | Current
- More recently I have been involved in several medicinal chemistry projects involving the design and synthesis of small-molecule inhibitors of various biological targets. These include targets in the human MAPK pathway for the treatment of cancer and bacterial gyrase for the development of new antibacterial agents.
- Currently I am working on molecules which inhibit perforin, a protein which is a component of the immune system. These targets have potential as therapeutic immunosuppressive agents for the treatment of insulin-dependent diabetes, graft rejection and graft-versus-host disease.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Spicer, J. A., Miller, C. K., O'Connor PD, Jose, J., Giddens, A. C., Jaiswal, J. K., ... Akhlaghi, H. (2019). Inhibition of the Cytolytic Protein Perforin Prevents Rejection of Transplanted Bone Marrow Stem Cells in Vivo. Journal of medicinal chemistry10.1021/acs.jmedchem.9b00881
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bill Denny, Christian Miller, Jiney Jose, Stephen Jamieson, Jagdish Jaiswal, Matthew Bull
- Gamage, S. A., Spicer, J. A., Tsang, K. Y., O'Connor PD, Flanagan, J. U., Lee, W.-J., ... Rewcastle, G. W. (2019). Synthesis and Evaluation of Imidazo[1,2-a]pyridine Analogues of the ZSTK474 Class of Phosphatidylinositol 3-Kinase Inhibitors. Chemistry, an Asian journal, 14 (8), 1249-1261. 10.1002/asia.201801762
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jack Flanagan, James Dickson, Bill Denny, Gordon Rewcastle, Swarna Gamage
- Jose, J., Spicer, J., Miller, C. K., O'Connor P, Giddens, A., Akhlaghi, H., ... Denny, W. A. (1/4/2019). Development of inhibitors of the pore forming protein perforin for the treatment of leukaemia. Poster presented at 257th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, Orlando, FL, United States. MEDI-0164. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jiney Jose, Anna Giddens, Bill Denny, Christian Miller
- Rewcastle, G. W., Gamage, S. A., Spicer, J. A., Flanagan, J. U., Denny, W. A., & Shepherd, P. R. (15/11/2018). Synthesis and evaluation of imidazo[1,2-a]pyridine analogues of the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase inhibitor ZSTK474. Poster presented at 30th EORTC-NCI-AACR symposium, “Molecular Targets and Cancer Therapeutics.”, Dublin, Ireland 13-16th November 2018.. European Journal of Cancer. 10.1016/S0959-8049(18)31491-6
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Gordon Rewcastle, Swarna Gamage, Jack Flanagan, Bill Denny, James Dickson
- Welz, M., Eickhoff, S., Abdullah, Z., Trebicka, J., Gartlan, K. H., Spicer, J. A., ... Manske, K. (2018). Perforin inhibition protects from lethal endothelial damage during fulminant viral hepatitis. Nature communications, 9 (1)10.1038/s41467-018-07213-x
- Jose, J., Spicer, J. A., Miller, C. K., O'Connor PD, Marshal, A., Jaiswal, J., ... Law, R. H. P. (15/9/2017). Thiazolecarboxamides as inhibitors of perforin function for potential immunosuppressive therapy. Poster presented at Drug Discovery India 2017, Bengaluru, India.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jiney Jose, Christian Miller, Jagdish Jaiswal, Stephen Jamieson, Bill Denny
- Spicer, J. A., Miller, C. K., O'Connor PD, Jose, J., Huttunen, K. M., Jaiswal, J. K., ... Trapani, J. A. (2017). Substituted arylsulphonamides as inhibitors of perforin-mediated lysis. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 137, 139-155. 10.1016/j.ejmech.2017.05.048
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Christian Miller, Jiney Jose, Bill Denny, Jagdish Jaiswal
- Spicer, J. A., Miller, C. K., O'Connnor PD, Jose, J., Huttunen, K. M., Jaiswal, J. K., ... Trapani, J. A. (12/6/2017). Discovery of inhibitors of the pore-forming protein perforin. Poster presented at 1st RSC Anglo-Nordic Medicinal Chemistry Symposium, Snekkerston, Denmark.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Christian Miller, Jiney Jose, Jagdish Jaiswal, Stephen Jamieson, Bill Denny