Dr Jichao Zhao
PhD (UWO, Canada), FHRS
Dr. Zhao is a Principal Investigator (PI) and leads a team at Auckland Bioengineering Institute, University of Auckland, New Zealand, that aims to improve our understanding of the most common cardiac arrhythmia, atrial fibrillation (AF), and to investigate effective strategies for AF treatment by combining novel computational approaches (signal/structural analysis, computer models and machine learning) with structural imaging, experimental mapping and clinical studies.
Recent collaboration with overseas researchers has made it possible for Dr. Zhao to study the intact human hearts directly to illustrate the roles of human atrial structure and function in AF and improve our understanding of the human sino-atrial node. He also leads an MRI study of patients with AF. His team has developed novel machine learning approaches for analyzing functional and structural data from patients to aid clinical diagnosis and targeted treatment. Finally, his group has also developed a robust rabbit model with metabolic syndrome to study the exact mechanism underlying the increased susceptibility to cardiac disease.
In the past four years (2014-18), Dr. Zhao has published >30 journal articles with an average impact factor of >6.0. As a result of his highly influential work, he has received three prestigious project grants in the past three years; one from the Health Research Council of New Zealand and two from US National Institutes of Health. These sources of external funding enable him to support his current team.
Currently, we have a couple of PhD/Masters/Postdoc positions open, contact Dr. Zhao if you are interested in.
Research | Current
Current research interests
- Machine learning
- Computer models of atria
- Atrial mapping study
- Atrial electrogram analysis
- Patient specific models of atria
- Sino-atrial node structure
2019-Ms Sarah Fong
2019-Mr Zhaohan Xiong
2017-Ms Shaleka Agrawal
2017-Mr Kevin Jamart
2017-Mr Andy Lo
2014- Mr Girish Ramlugun
2013- Mr Belvin Thomas
2012- Ms Shu Meng
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Kalyanasundaram, A., Li, N., Hansen, B. J., Zhao, J., & Fedorov, V. V. (2019). Canine and human sinoatrial node: differences and similarities in the structure, function, molecular profiles, and arrhythmia. Journal of veterinary cardiology : the official journal of the European Society of Veterinary Cardiology, 22, 2-19. 10.1016/j.jvc.2018.10.004
- Xiong, Z., Fedorov, V. V., Fu, X., Cheng, E., Macleod, R., & Zhao, J. (2019). Fully Automatic Left Atrium Segmentation From Late Gadolinium Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging Using a Dual Fully Convolutional Neural Network. IEEE transactions on medical imaging, 38 (2), 515-524. 10.1109/tmi.2018.2866845
- Nuñez-Garcia M, Bernardino, G., Doste, R., Zhao, J., Camara, O., & Butakoff, C. (2019). Standard Quasi-Conformal Flattening of the Right and Left Atria. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). 10.1007/978-3-030-21949-9_10
- Fok, W., Jamart, K., Zhao, J., & Fernandez, J. (2019). Ensemble of Convolutional Neural Networks for Heart Segmentation. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). 10.1007/978-3-030-12029-0_31
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Justin Fernandez, Kevin Jamart
- Hansen, B. J., Zhao, J., Li, N., Zolotarev, A., Zakharkin, S., Wang, Y., ... Helfrich, K. M. (2018). Human Atrial Fibrillation Drivers Resolved With Integrated Functional and Structural Imaging to Benefit Clinical Mapping. JACC. Clinical electrophysiology, 4 (12), 1501-1515. 10.1016/j.jacep.2018.08.024
- Stephenson, R. S., Jones, C. B., Guerrero, R., Zhao, J., Anderson, R. H., & Jarvis, J. C. (2018). High-Resolution Contrast-Enhanced Micro-Computed Tomography to Identify the Cardiac Conduction System in Congenitally Malformed Hearts: Valuable Insight From a Hospital Archive. JACC. Cardiovascular imaging, 11 (11), 1706-1712. 10.1016/j.jcmg.2018.05.016
- Bai, J., Gladding, P. A., Stiles, M. K., Fedorov, V. V., & Zhao, J. (2018). Ionic and cellular mechanisms underlying TBX5/PITX2 insufficiency-induced atrial fibrillation: Insights from mathematical models of human atrial cells. Scientific reports, 8 (1)10.1038/s41598-018-33958-y
- Xiong, Z., Nash, M. P., Cheng, E., Fedorov, V. V., Stiles, M. K., & Zhao, J. (2018). ECG signal classification for the detection of cardiac arrhythmias using a convolutional recurrent neural network. Physiological measurement, 39 (9)10.1088/1361-6579/aad9ed
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Martyn Nash