Professor Jamie Sleigh
MBChB FFARCS FANZCA FJFICM MD
Research | Current
The EEG and anaesthesia. Development of ester analogues of ketamine. Theoretical modelling of cortical changes in anaesthesia, sleep, and seizures.
SIGNIFICANT DISTINCTIONS / AWARDS
- Waikato Kudos award – for Medical research 2007
- High-density EEG mapping during general anaesthesia with Xenon and Propofol: a pilot study. ANAESTHESIA AND INTENSIVE CARE: BEST PAPER AWARD 2003.
- D H Mckay, L J Voss, J W Sleigh, J P Barnard and E K Johannsen. Modelling the hypnotic effect of sevoflurane using the spectral entropy of the electroencephalogram. Won first prize at the ANZCA conference Auckland 2005.
- R. W. Frengley, D. N. Closey, J. W. Sleigh, J. M. Torrance. The effect of closed system suction on airway pressures when using the Servo 300 ventilator. Won first prize at the World Society of ICU conference Sydney 2000.
Areas of expertise
Signal processing and EEG. Mechanisms of general anaesthesia and consciousness. Clinical anaesthesia.
- Lecturer, Dept Anaesthesia University of Zimbabwe (1986-1988).
- Specialist Anaesthetist Wanganui Hospital (1988-1991).
- Specialist Anaesthetist/Senior Lecturer: Waikato Hospital/Auckland Medical School (1992-2001).
- Professor of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Waikato Clinical School, University of Auckland (2001-present).
- Honorary Lecturer Department of Physics, University of Waikato
- Fellow of Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthestists: Part One examiner
- University of Auckland, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences - Waikato Representative, Board of Research
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Sleigh, J., & Warnaby, C. E. (2019). Finding the starter motor for the engine of consciousness. British journal of anaesthesia, 123 (3), 259-261. 10.1016/j.bja.2019.06.001
- Whitlock, E. L., & Sleigh, J. (2019). Are we overdosing older patients?. British journal of anaesthesia, 123 (3), 257-258. 10.1016/j.bja.2018.12.012
- Hesse, S., Kreuzer, M., Hight, D., Gaskell, A., Davari, P., Singh, D., ... Sleigh, J. W. (2019). Corrigendum to "Association of electroencephalogram trajectories during emergence from anaesthesia with delirium in the postanaesthesia care unit: an early sign of postoperative complications" (Br J Anaesth 2019; 122: 622-634). British journal of anaesthesia, 123 (2)10.1016/j.bja.2019.05.033
- Chiang, N., Rodda, O., Oldham, S., Sleigh, J., & Vasudevan, T. (2019). Effects of compression therapy and venous surgery on tissue oxygenation in chronic venous disease. Phlebology, 34 (7), 474-480. 10.1177/0268355518822582
- Sleigh, J. W., & Pullon, R. (2019). Syncopated Tempi of the Anesthetized Brain. Anesthesiology, 130 (6), 861-863. 10.1097/aln.0000000000002695
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rebecca Pullon
- Hight, D. F., Gaskell, A. L., Kreuzer, M., Voss, L. J., García PS, & Sleigh, J. W. (2019). Transient electroencephalographic alpha power loss during maintenance of general anaesthesia. British journal of anaesthesia, 122 (5), 635-642. 10.1016/j.bja.2018.11.029
- Hesse, S., Kreuzer, M., Hight, D., Gaskell, A., Devari, P., Singh, D., ... Sleigh, J. W. (2019). Association of electroencephalogram trajectories during emergence from anaesthesia with delirium in the postanaesthesia care unit: an early sign of postoperative complications. British journal of anaesthesia, 122 (5), 622-634. 10.1016/j.bja.2018.09.016
- Jacobson, G. M., Voss, L. J., Klockars, A., Bird, S., Dimitrov, I., Denny, W. A., ... Harvey, M. G. (2019). Transcriptional changes in response to ketamine ester-analogs SN 35210 and SN 35563 in the rat brain. BMC genomics, 20 (1)10.1186/s12864-019-5649-6
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bill Denny