Professor Jamie Sleigh
MBChB FFARCS FANZCA FJFICM MD
Research | Current
The EEG and anaesthesia. Development of ester analogues of ketamine. Theoretical modelling of cortical changes in anaesthesia, sleep, and seizures.
SIGNIFICANT DISTINCTIONS / AWARDS
- Waikato Kudos award – for Medical research 2007
- High-density EEG mapping during general anaesthesia with Xenon and Propofol: a pilot study. ANAESTHESIA AND INTENSIVE CARE: BEST PAPER AWARD 2003.
- D H Mckay, L J Voss, J W Sleigh, J P Barnard and E K Johannsen. Modelling the hypnotic effect of sevoflurane using the spectral entropy of the electroencephalogram. Won first prize at the ANZCA conference Auckland 2005.
- R. W. Frengley, D. N. Closey, J. W. Sleigh, J. M. Torrance. The effect of closed system suction on airway pressures when using the Servo 300 ventilator. Won first prize at the World Society of ICU conference Sydney 2000.
Areas of expertise
Signal processing and EEG. Mechanisms of general anaesthesia and consciousness. Clinical anaesthesia.
- Lecturer, Dept Anaesthesia University of Zimbabwe (1986-1988).
- Specialist Anaesthetist Wanganui Hospital (1988-1991).
- Specialist Anaesthetist/Senior Lecturer: Waikato Hospital/Auckland Medical School (1992-2001).
- Professor of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Waikato Clinical School, University of Auckland (2001-present).
- Honorary Lecturer Department of Physics, University of Waikato
- Fellow of Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthestists: Part One examiner
- University of Auckland, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences - Waikato Representative, Board of Research
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Gaskell, A. L., & Sleigh, J. W. (2020). An Introduction to Causal Diagrams for Anesthesiology Research. ANESTHESIOLOGY, 132 (5), 951-967. 10.1097/ALN.0000000000003193
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Amy Gaskell
- Kreuzer, M., Stern, M. A., Hight, D., Berger, S., Schneider, G., Sleigh, J. W., & García PS (2020). Spectral and Entropic Features Are Altered by Age in the Electroencephalogram in Patients under Sevoflurane Anesthesia. Anesthesiology, 132 (5), 1003-1016. 10.1097/aln.0000000000003182
- Shalbaf, A., Shalbaf, R., Saffar, M., & Sleigh, J. (2020). Monitoring the level of hypnosis using a hierarchical SVM system. Journal of clinical monitoring and computing, 34 (2), 331-338. 10.1007/s10877-019-00311-1
- Bombardieri, A. M., Wildes, T. S., Stevens, T., Wolfson, M., Steinhorn, R., Ben Abdallah, A., ... Avidan, M. S. (2020). Practical Training of Anesthesia Clinicians in Electroencephalogram-Based Determination of Hypnotic Depth of General Anesthesia. Anesthesia and analgesia, 130 (3), 777-786. 10.1213/ane.0000000000004537
- Liang, Z., Cheng, L., Shao, S., Jin, X., Yu, T., Sleigh, J. W., & Li, X. (2020). Information Integration and Mesoscopic Cortical Connectivity during Propofol Anesthesia. Anesthesiology, 132 (3), 504-524. 10.1097/aln.0000000000003015
- Sleigh, J. W. (2020). In praise of propensities: the road to personalised medicine?. Anaesthesia, 75 (3), 305-308. 10.1111/anae.14737
- Liang, Z., Shao, S., Lv, Z., Li, D., Sleigh, J. W., Li, X., ... He, J. (2020). Constructing a 'Consciousness Meter' Based on the Combination of Non-linear Measurements and Genetic Algorithm-based Support Vector Machine. IEEE transactions on neural systems and rehabilitation engineering : a publication of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society10.1109/tnsre.2020.2964819
- Harvey, M., Sleigh, J., Voss, L., Bickerdike, M., Dimitrov, I., & Denny, W. (2019). KEA-1010, a ketamine ester analogue, retains analgesic and sedative potency but is devoid of Psychomimetic effects. BMC pharmacology & toxicology, 20 (1)10.1186/s40360-019-0374-y
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ivo Dimitrov, Bill Denny