Professor Jamie Sleigh
MBChB FFARCS FANZCA FJFICM MD
Research | Current
The EEG and anaesthesia. Development of ester analogues of ketamine. Theoretical modelling of cortical changes in anaesthesia, sleep, and seizures.
SIGNIFICANT DISTINCTIONS / AWARDS
- Waikato Kudos award – for Medical research 2007
- High-density EEG mapping during general anaesthesia with Xenon and Propofol: a pilot study. ANAESTHESIA AND INTENSIVE CARE: BEST PAPER AWARD 2003.
- D H Mckay, L J Voss, J W Sleigh, J P Barnard and E K Johannsen. Modelling the hypnotic effect of sevoflurane using the spectral entropy of the electroencephalogram. Won first prize at the ANZCA conference Auckland 2005.
- R. W. Frengley, D. N. Closey, J. W. Sleigh, J. M. Torrance. The effect of closed system suction on airway pressures when using the Servo 300 ventilator. Won first prize at the World Society of ICU conference Sydney 2000.
Areas of expertise
Signal processing and EEG. Mechanisms of general anaesthesia and consciousness. Clinical anaesthesia.
- Lecturer, Dept Anaesthesia University of Zimbabwe (1986-1988).
- Specialist Anaesthetist Wanganui Hospital (1988-1991).
- Specialist Anaesthetist/Senior Lecturer: Waikato Hospital/Auckland Medical School (1992-2001).
- Professor of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Waikato Clinical School, University of Auckland (2001-present).
- Honorary Lecturer Department of Physics, University of Waikato
- Fellow of Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthestists: Part One examiner
- University of Auckland, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences - Waikato Representative, Board of Research
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Sleigh, J. W. (2020). In praise of propensities: the road to personalised medicine?. Anaesthesia, 75 (3), 305-308. 10.1111/anae.14737
- Liang, Z., Shao, S., Lv, Z., Li, D., Sleigh, J. W., Li, X., ... He, J. (2020). Constructing a 'Consciousness Meter' Based on the Combination of Non-linear Measurements and Genetic Algorithm-based Support Vector Machine. IEEE transactions on neural systems and rehabilitation engineering : a publication of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society10.1109/tnsre.2020.2964819
- Harvey, M., Sleigh, J., Voss, L., Bickerdike, M., Dimitrov, I., & Denny, W. (2019). KEA-1010, a ketamine ester analogue, retains analgesic and sedative potency but is devoid of Psychomimetic effects. BMC pharmacology & toxicology, 20 (1)10.1186/s40360-019-0374-y
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Ivo Dimitrov, Bill Denny
- Forsyth, A., McMillan, R., Campbell, D., Malpas, G., Maxwell, E., Sleigh, J., ... Muthukumaraswamy, S. D. (2019). Modulation of simultaneously collected hemodynamic and electrophysiological functional connectivity by ketamine and midazolam. Human brain mapping10.1002/hbm.24889
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Suresh Muthukumaraswamy
- Sleigh, J. W. (2019). The Art of General Anesthesia: Juggling in a Multidimensional Space. Anesthesiology, 131 (6), 1199-1201. 10.1097/aln.0000000000002709
- Afshani, F., Shalbaf, A., Shalbaf, R., & Sleigh, J. (2019). Frontal–temporal functional connectivity of EEG signal by standardized permutation mutual information during anesthesia. Cognitive Neurodynamics, 13 (6), 531-540. 10.1007/s11571-019-09553-w
- Pullon, R. M., McCabe, S., Gaskell, A., & Sleigh, J. W. (2019). Non-sinusoidal waves in the EEG and their simulated effect on anaesthetic quantitative EEG monitors. Journal of clinical monitoring and computing, 33 (6), 1089-1096. 10.1007/s10877-019-00254-7
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rebecca Pullon
- Sleigh, J. W., Leslie, K., Davidson, A. J., Amor, D. J., Diakumis, P., Lukic, V., ... Bahlo, M. (2019). Genetic Analysis of Patients Who Experienced Awareness with Recall while under General Anesthesia. Anesthesiology, 131 (5), 974-982. 10.1097/aln.0000000000002877