Professor Jamie Sleigh
MBChB FFARCS FANZCA FJFICM MD
Research | Current
The EEG and anaesthesia. Development of ester analogues of ketamine. Theoretical modelling of cortical changes in anaesthesia, sleep, and seizures.
SIGNIFICANT DISTINCTIONS / AWARDS
- Waikato Kudos award – for Medical research 2007
- High-density EEG mapping during general anaesthesia with Xenon and Propofol: a pilot study. ANAESTHESIA AND INTENSIVE CARE: BEST PAPER AWARD 2003.
- D H Mckay, L J Voss, J W Sleigh, J P Barnard and E K Johannsen. Modelling the hypnotic effect of sevoflurane using the spectral entropy of the electroencephalogram. Won first prize at the ANZCA conference Auckland 2005.
- R. W. Frengley, D. N. Closey, J. W. Sleigh, J. M. Torrance. The effect of closed system suction on airway pressures when using the Servo 300 ventilator. Won first prize at the World Society of ICU conference Sydney 2000.
Areas of expertise
Signal processing and EEG. Mechanisms of general anaesthesia and consciousness. Clinical anaesthesia.
- Lecturer, Dept Anaesthesia University of Zimbabwe (1986-1988).
- Specialist Anaesthetist Wanganui Hospital (1988-1991).
- Specialist Anaesthetist/Senior Lecturer: Waikato Hospital/Auckland Medical School (1992-2001).
- Professor of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Waikato Clinical School, University of Auckland (2001-present).
- Honorary Lecturer Department of Physics, University of Waikato
- Fellow of Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthestists: Part One examiner
- University of Auckland, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences - Waikato Representative, Board of Research
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Pullon, R. M., Yan, L., Sleigh, J. W., & Warnaby, C. E. (2020). Granger Causality of the Electroencephalogram Reveals Abrupt Global Loss of Cortical Information Flow during Propofol-induced Loss of Responsiveness. Anesthesiology, 133 (4), 774-786. 10.1097/aln.0000000000003398
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lucy Yan
- Kaiser, H. A., Hirschi, T., Sleigh, C., Reineke, D., Hartwich, V., Stucki, M., ... Hight, D. (2020). Comorbidity-dependent changes in alpha and broadband electroencephalogram power during general anaesthesia for cardiac surgery. British journal of anaesthesia, 125 (4), 456-465. 10.1016/j.bja.2020.06.054
- Jafari, S., Shalbaf, A., & Sleigh, J. (2020). Depth of anesthesia estimation based on EEG signal using effective brain connectivity between frontal and temporal regions. Tehran University Medical Journal, 78 (6), 379-387.
- Kaiser, H. A., Peus, M., Luedi, M. M., Lersch, F., Krejci, V., Reineke, D., ... Hight, D. (2020). Frontal electroencephalogram reveals emergence-like brain activity occurring during transition periods in cardiac surgery. British journal of anaesthesia, 125 (3), 291-297. 10.1016/j.bja.2020.05.064
- Sleigh, J. W., & Gaskell, A. (2020). Postoperative Delirium: A Minefield of Markers and Mediators. Anesthesiology, 133 (2), 255-257. 10.1097/aln.0000000000003383
- Voss, L. J., & Sleigh, J. W. (2020). A Metabolic Mechanism for Anaesthetic Suppression of Cortical Synaptic Function in Mouse Brain Slices-A Pilot Investigation. International journal of molecular sciences, 21 (13).10.3390/ijms21134703
- Dimitrov, I. V., Harvey, M. G., Voss, L. J., Sleigh, J. W., Bickerdike, M. J., & Denny, W. A. (2020). Structure-Activity Relationships for the Anaesthetic and Analgaesic Properties of Aromatic Ring-Substituted Ketamine Esters. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland), 25 (12).10.3390/molecules25122950
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bill Denny
- Vrijdag, X. C., van Waart, H., Sleigh, J. W., & Mitchell, S. J. (2020). Pupillometry is not sensitive to gas narcosis in divers breathing hyperbaric air or normobaric nitrous oxide. Diving and hyperbaric medicine, 50 (2), 115-120. 10.28920/dhm50.2.115-120
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Simon Mitchell, Xavier Vrijdag, Hanna van Waart
Primary office location
PETER ROTHWELL ACADEMIC CENTRE - Bldg 695
Level 0, Room 001
WAIKATO HOSPITAL SELWYN ST