Associate Professor Jane Mary McCarthy
MB Ch Leeds, MD London, MRCGP (UK), FRCPsych (UK)
Jane McCarthy is Associate Professor in Psychological Medicine in the School of Medicine. Her research interests are broadly in the health needs of people with autism spectrum disorders and intellectual disability. Specifically she has been looking at how ethnicity, gender and the delivery of care pathways for prisoners influence health outcomes for people with autism spectrum disorders and intellectual disability.
She is Visiting Senior Lecturer, Department of Forensic & Neurodevelopmental Sciences, King’s College London & Visiting Fellow, Faculty of Health & Social Care, London South Bank University, London, UK.
From 2009 to 2010, Associate Professor McCarthy was Clinical Advisor for Adults with Autism at the Department of Health in England supporting development and delivery of the national strategy for Adults with Autism titled: ‘Fulfilling and Rewarding Lives: The National Strategy for Adults with Autism in England’.
Research | Current
Dr McCarthy’s current research activity includes:
- Evaluation of screening tools for adults with intellectual disability and autism spectrum disorders presenting across the Criminal Justice System.
- Assessment & early intervention for offenders with autism spectrum diosrders and intellectual disbaility in order to develop a Court Diversion & Liasion Pathway for this group of offenders.
Impact of cholinesterase inhibitors or memantine on survival in adults with Down syndrome and dementia; clinical cohort study. Eady N, Sheehan R, Rantekk K, Sinai A, Bernal J, Bohnen I, Bonell S, Courtenay K, Dodd K, Gazizova D, Hassiotis A, Hillier R, McBrien J, Mukherji K, Naeem A, Perez-Achiaga N, Sharma V, Thomas D, Walker Z, McCarthy J & Styrdom A. (2018). The British Journal of Psychiatry (2018) 212, 155–160. doi: 10.1192/bjp.2017.21.
Outcomes of an inner city forensic intellectual disability service. Wooster L, McCarthy J & Chaplin E. (2018). Journal of Intellectual Disabilities and Offending Behaviour, 9 (1), 1-8.
Characteristics of prisoners with intellectual disabilities. Chaplin, E., McCarthy, J., Underwood, L., Forrester, A., Hayward, H., Sabet, J., Young, S., Asherson, P., Mills. R. & Murphy, D. (2017). Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, doi.org/10.1111/jir.12441
The SAINT a guided self-help intervention for people with intellectual disabilities. Chaplin, E, Craig, T, McCarthy J & Bouras, N. (2017) Journal of Mental Health Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 10 (3), 237-252.
A systematic review and synthesis of outcome domains for use with forensic services for people with intellectual disabilities. Morrissey C, Langdon PE, Goach N, Chester V, Ferriter M, Lindsay WR, McCarthy J, Devapriam J, Walker D-M, Duggan C & Alexander R. (2017). BJPsych Open. 3 (1), 41-56.
The Social Communication Questionnaire for adults with intellectual disability: SCQ-AID. Derks O, Heinrich M, Brooks W, Sterkenburg P, McCarthy J, Underwood L & Sappok T. (2017). Autism Research. doi:10.1002/aur.1795.
Cross-Cultural Validity of the Social Communication Questionnaire for Adults with Intellectual Developmental Disorder. Sappok T, Brooks W, Heinrich M, McCarthy J, Underwood L. (2016). Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. doi: 10.1007/s10803-016-2967-2.
Chromosomal microarray testing in adults with intellectual disability presenting with comorbid psychiatric disorders. Wolfe K, Styrdom A, Morrigh D, Carter J, Cutajar P, Eyeoyibo M, Hassiotis, A & McCarthy J et al., (2016). European Journal of Human Genetics. doi: 10.1038/rjhg.2016.107
Autism spectrum disorders traits among prisoners. Underwood L, McCarthy, Chaplin E, Forrester A, Mills R & Murphy D. (2016). Advances in Autism, 2, 106-117.
Young S, Adamou M, Asherson P, Coghill D, Colley B, Gudjonsson G, Hollis C, McCarthy J, Müller U, Paul M, Pitts M & Arif M. (2015). Recommendations for the Transition of Patients with ADHD from Child to Adult Healthcare Services: A Consensus Statement from the UK Adult ADHD Network. BMC Psychiatry, 16, 301.
Teaching | Current
Lead for Year 6 Undergraduate psychiatry teaching at Waikato Clinical Campus, University of Auckland.
Areas of expertise
Autism Spectrum Disorders
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- McCarthy, J., Chaplin, E., Forrester, A., Underwood, L., Hayward, H., Sabet, J., ... Murphy, D. (2019). Prisoners with neurodevelopmental difficulties: Vulnerabilities for mental illness and self-harm. Criminal behaviour and mental health : CBMH, 29 (5-6), 308-320. 10.1002/cbm.2132
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lisa Underwood
- McCarthy, J., & Duff, M. (2019). Services for adults with intellectual disability in Aotearoa New Zealand. BJPsych international, 16 (3), 71-73. 10.1192/bji.2018.37
- Wimalaratne, I., Mellsop, G., McCarthy, J., & Menkes, D. (2/7/2019). A cross cultural comparison of general hospital specialists’ attitudes toward management of psychological/psychiatric problems. Poster presented at International Congress of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, London, UK. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: David Menkes
- Wimalaratne, I., Mellsop, G., McCarthy, J., & Menkes, D. B. (27/6/2019). A cross cultural comparison of general hospital specialist attitudes toward psychiatry. Poster presented at 6th Congress on Neurobiology, Psychopharmacology and Treatment Guidance, Chalkidiki, Greece. 6th Congress on Neurobiology, Psychopharmacology and Treatment Guidance : Final Program and Abstract Book. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: David Menkes
- Kooji, J. J. S., Bijlenga, D., Salerno, L., Jaeschke, R., Bitter, I., Balázs J, ... Mccarthy, J. M. (2019). Updated European Consensus Statement on diagnosis and treatment of adult ADHD. European Psychiatry, 56, 14-34. 10.1016/j.eurpsy.2018.11.001
- McCarthy, J., & Chaplin, E. (2019). Psychopharmacology. In E. Chaplin, D. Spain, J. McCarthy (Eds.) A Clinician's Guide to Mental Health Conditions in Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders (pp. 315-323). Jessica Kingsley Publishers. Related URL.
- Chaplin, E., Spain, D., & McCarthy, J. (2019). A Clinician's Guide to Mental Health Conditions in Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders Assessment and Interventions. Pages: 368.
- Chaplin, E., & McCarthy, J. (2018). Editorial. Advances in Autism, 4 (2), 37-38. 10.1108/AIA-03-2018-0010
I work Monday to Thursday
Primary office location
PETER ROTHWELL ACADEMIC CENTRE - Bldg 695
Level 0, Room 001
WAIKATO HOSPITAL SELWYN ST