Jazmin has a Master of Public Health with a concentration in Global Epidemiology from Emory University’s Rollins School of Public Health in Atlanta USA. Jazmin currently works as a Research Epidemiologist for Piedmont Heart Institute, Piedmont Healthcare. She is the first person to have been hired as Research Epidemiologist in Piedmont Healthcare's history (the first Piedmont Hospital was founded in 1905). Before joining Piedmont, Jazmin worked for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in various Fellow and Contractor roles for 14 years. She was a member of the New Zealand Southern Hemisphere Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness, Research and Surveillance (SHIVERS) team during the 7 years she worked for the International Epidemiology and Research Team, Influenza Division, CDC.
Research | Current
Jazmin's experience is mostly in infectious disease surveillance and research (study design, protocol writing, ethical approval, data collection and analysis, literature reviews, writing/publication of scientific abstracts and manuscripts). She is now applying her epidemiology skills to help cardiologists and electrophysiologists at Piedmont Heart Institute carry out research studies. Her doctoral dissertation explores the effects of maternal acute respiratory illness, including influenza infection, on birth, neonatal and child developmental outcomes in New Zealand.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Duque, J., Gaga, S., Clark, D., Muller, M., Kuwane, B., Cohen, C., ... Furumele, T. (2017). Knowledge, attitudes and practices of South African healthcare workers regarding the prevention and treatment of influenza among HIV-infected individuals. PloS one, 12 (3)10.1371/journal.pone.0173983
- Ntiri, M. P., Duque, J., McMorrow, M. L., Frimpong, J. A., Parbie, P., Badji, E., ... Dueger, E. (2016). Incidence of medically attended influenza among residents of Shai-Osudoku and Ningo-Prampram Districts, Ghana, May 2013 - April 2015. BMC infectious diseases, 16 (1)10.1186/s12879-016-2078-x
- McMorrow, M. L., Wemakoy, E. O., Tshilobo, J. K., Emukule, G. O., Mott, J. A., Njuguna, H., ... Razanajatovo, N. H. (2015). Severe Acute Respiratory Illness Deaths in Sub-Saharan Africa and the Role of Influenza: A Case Series From 8 Countries. The Journal of infectious diseases, 212 (6), 853-860. 10.1093/infdis/jiv100
- McMorrow, M. L., Emukule, G. O., Njuguna, H. N., Bigogo, G., Montgomery, J. M., Nyawanda, B., ... Cosmas, L. (2015). The Unrecognized Burden of Influenza in Young Kenyan Children, 2008-2012. PloS one, 10 (9)10.1371/journal.pone.0138272
- Duque, J., McMorrow, M. L., & Cohen, A. L. (2014). Influenza vaccines and influenza antiviral drugs in Africa: are they available and do guidelines for their use exist?. BMC public health, 1410.1186/1471-2458-14-41