Jazmin obtained a Master of Public Health (MPH) in Epidemiology and Global Health from Emory University in Atlanta and was a NYC Epi Scholar in the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Jazmin has worked for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for 12+ years and is part of the Southern Hemisphere Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness, Research and Surveillance (SHIVERS) team.
Research | Current
Jazmin's experience is mostly in international influenza illness surveillance and research (study design, protocol writing, ethical approval, data collection and analysis, literature reviews, writing/publication of scientific abstracts and manuscripts). She has worked in Argentina, Ghana, Kenya, South Africa and New Zealand. Her doctoral dissertation explores the effects of maternal acute respiratory illness, including influenza infection, on birth, neonatal and child developmental outcomes in New Zealand.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Duque, J., Gaga, S., Clark, D., Muller, M., Kuwane, B., Cohen, C., ... Furumele, T. (2017). Knowledge, attitudes and practices of South African healthcare workers regarding the prevention and treatment of influenza among HIV-infected individuals. PloS one, 12 (3)10.1371/journal.pone.0173983
- Ntiri, M. P., Duque, J., McMorrow, M. L., Frimpong, J. A., Parbie, P., Badji, E., ... Dueger, E. (2016). Incidence of medically attended influenza among residents of Shai-Osudoku and Ningo-Prampram Districts, Ghana, May 2013 - April 2015. BMC infectious diseases, 16 (1)10.1186/s12879-016-2078-x
- McMorrow, M. L., Wemakoy, E. O., Tshilobo, J. K., Emukule, G. O., Mott, J. A., Njuguna, H., ... Razanajatovo, N. H. (2015). Severe Acute Respiratory Illness Deaths in Sub-Saharan Africa and the Role of Influenza: A Case Series From 8 Countries. The Journal of infectious diseases, 212 (6), 853-860. 10.1093/infdis/jiv100
- McMorrow, M. L., Emukule, G. O., Njuguna, H. N., Bigogo, G., Montgomery, J. M., Nyawanda, B., ... Cosmas, L. (2015). The Unrecognized Burden of Influenza in Young Kenyan Children, 2008-2012. PLoS ONE, 10 (9)10.1371/journal.pone.0138272
- Duque, J., McMorrow, M. L., & Cohen, A. L. (2014). Influenza vaccines and influenza antiviral drugs in Africa: are they available and do guidelines for their use exist?. BMC public health, 1410.1186/1471-2458-14-41