Dr Jeff Harrison
PhD GradCertClinEd DipClinPharm BSc(Hons)
- 2005 University of New South Wales, PG Cert (Clin Ed)
- 2000 University of Bristol, PhD (Surgery)
- 1994 University of Bath, PG Dip Clin Pharm
- 1990 University of Aston, BSc Hons (Pharmacy)
- 2010 Regenstrief Institute/ Purdue University Visiting Professor
- 2004- ongoing University of Auckland Senior Lecturer
- 2004- ongoing Waitemata DHB Clinical Pharmacist
- 2003-2004 University of Auckland Senior Tutor (0.7wte)
- 2003-2004 Enigma Publishing Ltd. Senior Editor, Decision Support (0.5wte)
- 2001-2003 Clineanswers Ltd. Editorial Team Leader (Cardiovascular)
- 1998-2001 North Staffordshire NHS Trust (UK) Clinical Information Manager / EBM
- 1995-1998 University of Bristol (UK) Research Associate
- 1994-1995 Overseas Experience – not employed
- 1991-1994 Southmead NHS Trust, Bristol (UK) Clinical Pharmacist
- 1990-1991 Royal Shrewsbury Hospital (UK) Pre-registration Pharmacist
Research | Current
- Cardiovascular medicine
- Evidence-based medicine
- Computerised decision support
- Rational use of medicines
- Medication safety
- Chronic disease management
- Pharmaceutical care services
- Ethics in healthcare
- Organisational performance
Teaching | Current
- OPTOMETRY 245 - Principles of Ocular Pharmacology
- PHARMACY 301 - Pharmacy Practice 3
- PHARMACY 407 - Integrated Pharmacy Studies 1
- PHARMACY 408 - Integrated Pharmacy Studies 2
- PHARMACY 409 - Profesisonal Pharmacy Practice
- PHARMACY 410 - Research Dissertation
- NURSING 722 - Therapeutics for Advanced Nursing
- OPTOMETRY 781 – Principles of Ocular Disease
- POPLPRAC 723 - Clinical Symptom Management in Palliative Care
Doctorate Student Research
- Shane Scahill: PhD [2007 – 2011, Part-time converted to Full-time] Exploring the nature of the relationship between organisational culture and effectiveness within a selection of community pharmacies in New Zealand. Shane is the recipient of a competitive Senior Health Research Fellowship.Co-supervisior: Dr Peter Carswell, Health Systems
- Amy Chan; PhD [2009 – 2014, Part-time]Improving adherence and asthma outcomes in individuals with poorly controlled asthma. Amy is the recipient of a Lottery Health Research Scholarship Co-supervisior: Professor Ed Mitchell, Medicine (Paediatrics)
- Jerome Ng; PhD [2010 – 2013] An Exploratory Study into Measuring Medication Safety in New Zealand Hospitals. Jerome is the recipient of a competitive Senior Health Research Fellowship. Co-supervisor: Shane Scahill (Massey University). Advisor: Professor Alan Merry, Medicine (Anaesthesiology)
- Primal Singh, PhD [2011 – 2014]The use of HMG Co-A enzyme inhibitors (statins) to reduce morbidity after colorectal surgery. Parry is the recipient of the Ruth Spencer Medical Research Fellowship. Co-supervisior: Associate Professoer Andrew Hill, Medicine (Surgery)
Masters Student Research
- Sandra Ponen: MPH dissertation [2004/5] Validation of the Australasian Medicines and Devices Terminology (ADMT) model in the New Zealand setting
- Damien Hannah: MPharmPrac dissertation  Reliability of a Drug-Related Problem Classification System Used for Pharmacist Lead Medication Reviews for Elderly Rest Home Residents
- Andre Mutavidzic: MPharmPrac Thesis [2005/6] Therapeutic Drug Monitoring at Waikato Hospital
- Anne Blumgart: MPH thesis [2006/7] Examination of a structured patient education initiative to improve warfarin safety
- Kathy Maxwell: MPharmPrac(Otago)  Investigation of Drug Related Problems (DRP) in patients presenting with secondary care prescriptions: A New Zealand Community Pharmacy Perspective.
- Karen Dunning: MHSc  Clozapine discontinuation in New Zealand: a quantitative and qualitative review
International Exchange Student Masters Research
- MPharm, Uppsala, Sweden, 2006/7 Elin Gisterå: Cardiovascular Risk Profile and Determinants of Risk in Mental Health Clients in New Zealand
- MPharm, Uppsala, Sweden, 2007/8 Minna Janlöv: Descriptive review of clozapine prescribing in a mental health service in Auckland, New Zealand: comparison with national and international guidelines.
- MPharm, Braunschweig, Germany, 2007/8 Stefanie Pügge: A Systematic Review of Community Pharmacist Interventions to Improve Health Outcomes.
- MPharm, Uppsala, Sweden, 2008/9 Elin Larsson: Physical health needs of patients with serious mental illness: a systematic review of the literature and development of a patient self-administered questionnaire.
- MPharm, University of Nottingham, 2010 Kirsty Johnson: Prescription Medicines in Pregnancy: Prevalence of Use of Medicines with the Potential for Foetal Injury.
- MPharm, Uppsala, Sweden, 2009/10 Patrick Bäckström: Assessment and management of CVD risk factors in a cohort of patients with serious mental illness.
- MPharm, University of Nottingham, 2010 Riya Chopra: Does computerised decision support have the potential to improve practitioner adherence to guidelines for the management of Cardiovascular Disease and/or Diabetes in New Zealand?
- 2010 Fulbright Senior Scholar Award, Fulbright New Zealand
- 2007 Butland Award for Early Career Excellence in Teaching, FMHS
- International Society for Pharmacoepidemiology
- American Society of Health System Pharmacists
- Board of Pharmacotherapy Specialists (Certified)
- Member of the United Kingdom Clinical Pharmacy Association
- Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain
- Pharmacy Council of New Zealand, Registered Pharmacist
- Sub-professorial member of University Senate
External Academic, Government and Professional Bodies
- Pharmacy Council of New Zealand
- External Assessor (Undergraduate Pharmacy Programmes), School of Pharmacy, University of Queensland, Australia.
- External Examiner, School of Pharmacy, University of Otago, New Zealand.
- External Assessor (Postgraduate Professional Programmes), School of Pharmacy, University of Otago, New Zealand
- Programme Accreditation Committee, Australian Pharmacy Council.
- Editorial Board, Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Bhusal, P., Sharma, M., Harrison, J., Procter, G., Andrews, G., Jones, D. S., ... Svirskis, D. (2017). Development, Validation and Application of a Stability Indicating HPLC Method to Quantify Lidocaine from Polyethylene-co-Vinyl Acetate (EVA) Matrices and Biological Fluids. Journal of chromatographic science, 1-7. 10.1093/chromsci/bmx043
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Hill, Darren Svirskis, Manisha Sharma
- Chan, A. H. Y., Stewart, A. W., Harrison, J., Black, P. N., Mitchell, E. A., & Foster, J. M. (2017). Electronic adherence monitoring device performance and patient acceptability: a randomized control trial. Expert review of medical devices, 1-11. 10.1080/17434440.2017.1322505
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alistair Stewart, Edwin Mitchell
- Ng, J., Scahill, S., & Harrison, J. (2017). Getting the foundations right for the measurement of medication safety: the need for a meaningful conceptual frame. The New Zealand medical journal, 130 (1452), 54-62.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jerome Ng, Shane Scahill
- Wells, S., Riddell, T., Kerr, A., Pylypchuk, R., Chelimo, C., Marshall, R., ... Kyle, C. (2017). Cohort Profile: The PREDICT Cardiovascular Disease Cohort in New Zealand Primary Care (PREDICT-CVD 19). International Journal of Epidemiology, 46 (1).10.1093/ije/dyv312
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Susan Wells, Corina Grey, Roger Marshall, Rodney Jackson, Patricia Metcalf, Carol Chelimo, Daniel Exeter, Romana Pylypchuk, Matire Harwood, Timothy Kenealy, Suneela Mehta, Jim Warren
- Kinsey, H., Scahill, S., Bye, L., & Harrison, J. (2016). Funding for change: New Zealand pharmacists' views on, and experiences of, the community pharmacy services agreement. The International journal of pharmacy practice, 24 (6), 379-389. 10.1111/ijpp.12266
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lynne Bye
- Mehta, S., Wells, S., Jackson, R., Harrison, J., & Kerr, A. (2016). The effect of removing funding restrictions for atorvastatin differed across sociodemographic groups among New Zealanders hospitalised with cardiovascular disease: a national data linkage study. The New Zealand medical journal, 129 (1443), 18-29.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rodney Jackson, Susan Wells, Suneela Mehta
- Bhusal, P., Harrison, J., Sharma, M., Jones, D. S., Hill, A. G., & Svirskis, D. (2016). Controlled release drug delivery systems to improve post-operative pharmacotherapy. Drug delivery and translational research, 6 (5), 441-451. 10.1007/s13346-016-0305-z
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Hill, Darren Svirskis, Manisha Sharma, Prabhat Bhusal
- Singh, P. P., Lemanu, D. P., Soop, M., Bissett, I. P., Harrison, J., & Hill, A. G. (2016). Perioperative Simvastatin Therapy in Major Colorectal Surgery: A Prospective, Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 223 (2), 308-320.e1. 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2016.04.004
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Hill, Ian Bissett
- Media Contact
M&HS BUILDING 505 - Bldg 505
Level 3, Room 331B
85 PARK RD
TAMAKI BUILDING 730 - Bldg 730
Level 3 , Room 314
TAMAKI CAMPUS GATE 1, 261 MORRIN RD