Dr Jeff Harrison
PhD GradCertClinEd DipClinPharm BSc(Hons)
- 2005 University of New South Wales, PG Cert (Clin Ed)
- 2000 University of Bristol, PhD (Surgery)
- 1994 University of Bath, PG Dip Clin Pharm
- 1990 University of Aston, BSc Hons (Pharmacy)
- 2010 Regenstrief Institute/ Purdue University Visiting Professor
- 2004- ongoing University of Auckland Senior Lecturer
- 2004- ongoing Waitemata DHB Clinical Pharmacist
- 2003-2004 University of Auckland Senior Tutor (0.7wte)
- 2003-2004 Enigma Publishing Ltd. Senior Editor, Decision Support (0.5wte)
- 2001-2003 Clineanswers Ltd. Editorial Team Leader (Cardiovascular)
- 1998-2001 North Staffordshire NHS Trust (UK) Clinical Information Manager / EBM
- 1995-1998 University of Bristol (UK) Research Associate
- 1994-1995 Overseas Experience – not employed
- 1991-1994 Southmead NHS Trust, Bristol (UK) Clinical Pharmacist
- 1990-1991 Royal Shrewsbury Hospital (UK) Pre-registration Pharmacist
Research | Current
- Cardiovascular medicine
- Evidence-based medicine
- Computerised decision support
- Rational use of medicines
- Medication safety
- Chronic disease management
- Pharmaceutical care services
- Ethics in healthcare
- Organisational performance
Teaching | Current
- OPTOMETRY 245 - Principles of Ocular Pharmacology
- PHARMACY 301 - Pharmacy Practice 3
- PHARMACY 407 - Integrated Pharmacy Studies 1
- PHARMACY 408 - Integrated Pharmacy Studies 2
- PHARMACY 409 - Profesisonal Pharmacy Practice
- PHARMACY 410 - Research Dissertation
- NURSING 722 - Therapeutics for Advanced Nursing
- OPTOMETRY 781 – Principles of Ocular Disease
- POPLPRAC 723 - Clinical Symptom Management in Palliative Care
Doctorate Student Research
- Shane Scahill: PhD [2007 – 2011, Part-time converted to Full-time] Exploring the nature of the relationship between organisational culture and effectiveness within a selection of community pharmacies in New Zealand. Shane is the recipient of a competitive Senior Health Research Fellowship.Co-supervisior: Dr Peter Carswell, Health Systems
- Amy Chan; PhD [2009 – 2014, Part-time]Improving adherence and asthma outcomes in individuals with poorly controlled asthma. Amy is the recipient of a Lottery Health Research Scholarship Co-supervisior: Professor Ed Mitchell, Medicine (Paediatrics)
- Jerome Ng; PhD [2010 – 2013] An Exploratory Study into Measuring Medication Safety in New Zealand Hospitals. Jerome is the recipient of a competitive Senior Health Research Fellowship. Co-supervisor: Shane Scahill (Massey University). Advisor: Professor Alan Merry, Medicine (Anaesthesiology)
- Primal Singh, PhD [2011 – 2014]The use of HMG Co-A enzyme inhibitors (statins) to reduce morbidity after colorectal surgery. Parry is the recipient of the Ruth Spencer Medical Research Fellowship. Co-supervisior: Associate Professoer Andrew Hill, Medicine (Surgery)
Masters Student Research
- Sandra Ponen: MPH dissertation [2004/5] Validation of the Australasian Medicines and Devices Terminology (ADMT) model in the New Zealand setting
- Damien Hannah: MPharmPrac dissertation  Reliability of a Drug-Related Problem Classification System Used for Pharmacist Lead Medication Reviews for Elderly Rest Home Residents
- Andre Mutavidzic: MPharmPrac Thesis [2005/6] Therapeutic Drug Monitoring at Waikato Hospital
- Anne Blumgart: MPH thesis [2006/7] Examination of a structured patient education initiative to improve warfarin safety
- Kathy Maxwell: MPharmPrac(Otago)  Investigation of Drug Related Problems (DRP) in patients presenting with secondary care prescriptions: A New Zealand Community Pharmacy Perspective.
- Karen Dunning: MHSc  Clozapine discontinuation in New Zealand: a quantitative and qualitative review
International Exchange Student Masters Research
- MPharm, Uppsala, Sweden, 2006/7 Elin Gisterå: Cardiovascular Risk Profile and Determinants of Risk in Mental Health Clients in New Zealand
- MPharm, Uppsala, Sweden, 2007/8 Minna Janlöv: Descriptive review of clozapine prescribing in a mental health service in Auckland, New Zealand: comparison with national and international guidelines.
- MPharm, Braunschweig, Germany, 2007/8 Stefanie Pügge: A Systematic Review of Community Pharmacist Interventions to Improve Health Outcomes.
- MPharm, Uppsala, Sweden, 2008/9 Elin Larsson: Physical health needs of patients with serious mental illness: a systematic review of the literature and development of a patient self-administered questionnaire.
- MPharm, University of Nottingham, 2010 Kirsty Johnson: Prescription Medicines in Pregnancy: Prevalence of Use of Medicines with the Potential for Foetal Injury.
- MPharm, Uppsala, Sweden, 2009/10 Patrick Bäckström: Assessment and management of CVD risk factors in a cohort of patients with serious mental illness.
- MPharm, University of Nottingham, 2010 Riya Chopra: Does computerised decision support have the potential to improve practitioner adherence to guidelines for the management of Cardiovascular Disease and/or Diabetes in New Zealand?
- 2010 Fulbright Senior Scholar Award, Fulbright New Zealand
- 2007 Butland Award for Early Career Excellence in Teaching, FMHS
- International Society for Pharmacoepidemiology
- American Society of Health System Pharmacists
- Board of Pharmacotherapy Specialists (Certified)
- Member of the United Kingdom Clinical Pharmacy Association
- Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain
- Pharmacy Council of New Zealand, Registered Pharmacist
- Sub-professorial member of University Senate
External Academic, Government and Professional Bodies
- Pharmacy Council of New Zealand
- External Assessor (Undergraduate Pharmacy Programmes), School of Pharmacy, University of Queensland, Australia.
- External Examiner, School of Pharmacy, University of Otago, New Zealand.
- External Assessor (Postgraduate Professional Programmes), School of Pharmacy, University of Otago, New Zealand
- Programme Accreditation Committee, Australian Pharmacy Council.
- Editorial Board, Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Metcalfe, S., Beyene, K., Urlich, J., Jones, R., Proffitt, C., Harrison, J., & Andrews Ā (2018). Te Wero tonu-the challenge continues: Māori access to medicines 2006/07-2012/13 update. The New Zealand medical journal, 131 (1485), 27-47.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kebede Beyene, Rhys Jones
- Ng, J., Andrew, P., Muir, P., Greene, M., Mohan, S., Knight, J., ... Scahill, S. (2018). Feasibility and reliability of clinical coding surveillance for the routine monitoring of adverse drug events in New Zealand hospitals. The New Zealand medical journal, 131 (1484), 46-60.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Vanessa Selak, Peter Davis, Joanna Broad
- Milosavljevic, A., Aspden, T., & Harrison, J. (2018). Community pharmacist-led interventions and their impact on patients’ medication adherence and other health outcomes: a systematic review. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 26 (5), 387-397. 10.1111/ijpp.12462
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Trudi Aspden
- Beyene, K., Metcalfe, S., Jones, R., Urlich, J., Andrews, A., Proffitt, C., & Harrison, J. (2018). Variation in medicines use by ethnicity: A comparison between 2006/2007 and 2012/2013. PHARMACOEPIDEMIOLOGY AND DRUG SAFETY. (pp. 1).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kebede Beyene
- Harrison, J., & Bye, L. (2018). Community pharmacy: only innovation will deflect the disruptor beam. Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research, 48 (3), 200-202. 10.1002/jppr.1463
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lynne Bye
- Bhusal, P., Rahiri, J. L., Sua, B., McDonald, J. E., Bansal, M., Hanning, S., ... Procter, G. (2018). Comparing human peritoneal fluid and phosphate-buffered saline for drug delivery: do we need bio-relevant media?. Drug delivery and translational research, 8 (3), 708-718. 10.1007/s13346-018-0513-9
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Darren Svirskis, Sara Hanning, Andrew Hill, Mahima Bansal, Jamie-Lee Rahiri, Bruce Su'a, Manisha Sharma
- Pylypchuk, R., Wells, S., Kerr, A., Poppe, K., Riddell, T., Harwood, M., ... Wu, B. P. (2018). Cardiovascular disease risk prediction equations in 400 000 primary care patients in New Zealand: a derivation and validation study. Lancet (London, England), 391 (10133), 1897-1907. 10.1016/s0140-6736(18)30664-0
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Matire Harwood, Romana Pylypchuk, Katrina Poppe, Daniel Exeter, Roger Marshall, Rod Jackson, Patricia Metcalf, Suneela Mehta, Corina Grey, Susan Wells, Billy Wu, Jim Warren
- Smith, A. J., Scahill, S. L., Harrison, J., Carroll, T., & Medlicott, N. J. (2018). Service provision in the wake of a new funding model for community pharmacy. BMC health services research, 18 (1)10.1186/s12913-018-3120-z
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Shane Scahill
- Media Contact
Primary office location
M&HS BUILDING 505 - Bldg 505
Level 3, Room 331B
85 PARK RD
Secondary office location
TAMAKI BUILDING 730 - Bldg 730
Level 3 , Room 314
TAMAKI CAMPUS GATE 1, 261 MORRIN RD