Associate Professor Jing Sun
Ph.D. (01/2000 - 06/2003), Department of Computer Science, National University of Singapore.
Jing joined the Department of Computer Science at The University of Auckland in August 2003, who is now an Associate Professor.
Research | Current
Jing's primary research area is computer aided verification in the Software Engineering domain to enhance the quality and security aspects of software and hardware development. It includes formal specification, software verification, validation and simulation, model checking, theorem proving and logical reasoning. His recent research interests have been focused on applying machine learning and AI based technologies to the field of automated software engineering, i.e., automatic formal design model repair and generation, machine learning based code generation from verified design models, semantic rule driven program behaviour monitoring, model-based test case generation, etc.
Teaching | Current
SOFTENG 351/COMPSCI 351: Fundamentals of Database Systems
SOFTENG 752: Formal Specification and Design
Chenghao Cai, PhD, "Formal Verification based Design Repair"
Nacha Chondamrongkul, PhD, "Formal Approaches to Software Architecture Design"
Yezhou Liu, PhD, "Formal Verification of Bio-inspired Computing Models"
New Zealand Business Events Award, Tourism New Zealand, recognised by Minister of Tourism (Hon Kelvin Davis), October 2018.
PhD Coordinator, School of Computer Science, The University of Auckland.
Areas of expertise
Software Engineering, Formal Methods, Computer Aided Verification, Model Checking, Automated Reasoning, Theorem Proving.
Editorial Board Member:
- Innovations in Systems and Software Engineering, A NASA Journal (ISSE), Springer.
Steering Committee Member:
- IEEE International Conference on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems (ICECCS) - (A ranked by CORE)
Program Committee Chairs:
- 24th International Conference on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems (ICECCS 2019), Guangzhou, China, 10-13 Nov 2019. (A ranked by CORE)
- 20th International Conference on Formal Engineering Methods (ICFEM 2018), Gold Coast, Australia, 12-16 November 2018 (B ranked by CORE).
- 22nd Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference (APSEC 2015), New Delhi, India, 1-4 December 2015. (B ranked by CORE)
- 15th International Conference on Formal Engineering Methods (ICFEM 2013), Queenstown, New Zealand, 29 October - 1 November 2013 (B ranked by CORE).
- 12th IEEE International Conference on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems (ICECCS'07), Auckland, New Zealand, 11-14 July, 2007. (A ranked by CORE)
Chair of Local Organization Committee:
- 18th International Conference on Semantic Web (ISWC 2019), Auckland, New Zealand, 26-30 October 2019. (A ranked by CORE)
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Sun, J. (2020). Special Issue: Semantic Enabled Software Engineering Introduction. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SOFTWARE ENGINEERING AND KNOWLEDGE ENGINEERING, 30 (6), 721-721. 10.1142/S0218194020020027
- Chondamrongkul, N., Sun, J., Warren, I., & Lee, S. U.-J. (2020). Integrated Formal Tools for Software Architecture Smell Detection. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SOFTWARE ENGINEERING AND KNOWLEDGE ENGINEERING, 30 (6), 723-763. 10.1142/S0218194020400057
- Chondamrongkul, N., Sun, J., & Warren, I. (2020). Automated Security Analysis for Microservice Architecture. Proceedings 2020 IEEE International Conference on Software Architecture Companion (ICSA-C), 79-82. Salvador, Brazil: IEEE. 10.1109/ICSA-C50368.2020.00024
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nacha Chondamrongkul
- Chondamrongkul, N., Sun, J., & Warren, I. (2020). Formal software architectural migration towards emerging architectural styles. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). 10.1007/978-3-030-58923-3_2
- Chondamrongkul, N., Sun, J., & Warren, I. (2020). Formal security analysis for blockchain-based software architecture. Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, SEKE.
- Liu, Y., Nicolescu, R., & Sun, J. (2020). Formal verification of cP systems using PAT3 and ProB. Journal of Membrane Computing, 2, 80-94. 10.1007/s41965-020-00036-0
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Radu Nicolescu
- Cai, C.-H., Sun, J., & Dobbie, G. (2019). Automatic B-model repair using model checking and machine learning. AUTOMATED SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, 26 (3), 653-704. 10.1007/s10515-019-00264-4
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Gill Dobbie
- Cai, C.-H., Xu, Y., Ke, D., Su, K., & Sun, J. (2019). Trainable back-propagated functional transfer matrices. APPLIED INTELLIGENCE, 49 (2), 376-395. 10.1007/s10489-018-1266-3