Dr Karen Frances Falloon
PhD, FRNZCGP, PGDipMedSci, DipPaeds, MBChB
Dr Karen Falloon completed her medical training at the University of Auckland Medical School in 2001. She became a fellow of the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners in 2009. In 2014 Dr Falloon completed her PhD in General Practice for which she investigated the effectiveness of a behavioural treatment for insomnia. She works as a general practitioner specialising in insomnia and as a senior lecturer teaching undergraduate medical students in the Clinical Skills Centre and the Department of General Practice and Primary Health Care at the University of Auckland. Dr Falloon is also involved in sleep research particularly in the areas of sleep health and sleep in medical students. She is also a member of the Australasian Sleep Association, serving on the GP education subcommittee.
Research | Current
- Sleep health
- General Practice
- General Practice education
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Falloon, K., Elley, C. R., Fernando, A., Lee, A. C., & Arroll, B. (2015). Simplified sleep restriction for insomnia in general practice: A randomised controlled trial. British Journal of General Practice, 65 (637), e508-e515. 10.3399/bjgp15X686137
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Arier Lee, Antonio Fernando, Raina Elley, Bruce Arroll
- Falloon, K. (2014). Insomnia in primary care. Paper presented at Sleep in Aotearoa (ASA and ASTA New Zealand Sleep Meeting), Christchurch, New Zealand. 8 May - 10 May 2014.
- Falloon, K. F. (2014). Refresh. Restriction For Reorganising Sleep Habit: A randomised controlled trial of simplified sleep restriction for primary insomnia in the primary care setting The University of Auckland. ResearchSpace@Auckland.
- Fernando, A., Arroll, B., & Falloon, K. F. (2013). A double-blind randomised controlled study of a brief intervention of bedtime restriction for adult patients with primary insomnia. Journal of Primary Health Care, 5 (1), 5-10. Related URL.
- Arroll, B., Fernando, A., Falloon, K., Goodyear-Smith, F., Samaranayake, C., & Warman, G. (2012). Prevalence of causes of insomnia in primary care: A cross-sectional study. British Journal of General Practice, 62 (595), e99-e103. 10.3399/bjgp12X625157
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bruce Arroll, Antonio Fernando, Felicity Goodyear-Smith, Guy Warman