Dr Karen Frances Falloon
PhD, FRNZCGP, PGDipMedSci, DipPaeds, MBChB
Dr Karen Falloon completed her medical training at the University of Auckland Medical School in 2001. She became a fellow of the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners in 2009. In 2014 Karen completed her PhD in General Practice for which she investigated the effectiveness of a behavioural treatment for insomnia. She works part time as a general practitioner and part time as a senior lecturer in the Department of General Practice and Primary Health Care at the University of Auckland. Karen is a member of the Australasian Sleep Association and serves on the GP education subcommittee.
Research | Current
- Sleep health
- General Practice
- General Practice education
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Eggleton, K., Goodyear-Smith, F., Paton, L., Falloon, K., Wong, C., Lack, L., ... Moyes, S. A. (2016). Reliability of Mini-CEX assessment of medical students in general practice clinical attachments. Family Medicine, 48 (8), 624-630.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kyle Eggleton, Felicity Goodyear-Smith, John Kennelly, Simon Moyes
- Falloon, K., Elley, C. R., Fernando, A., Lee, A. C., & Arroll, B. (2015). Simplified sleep restriction for insomnia in general practice: a randomised controlled trial. The British journal of general practice : the journal of the Royal College of General Practitioners, 65 (637), e508-e515. 10.3399/bjgp15x686137
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Arier Lee, Antonio Fernando, Raina Elley, Bruce Arroll
- Falloon, K. F. (2014). Refresh. Restriction For Reorganising Sleep Habit: A randomised controlled trial of simplified sleep restriction for primary insomnia in the primary care setting The University of Auckland. ResearchSpace@Auckland.
- Fernando, A., Arroll, B., & Falloon, K. F. (2013). A double-blind randomised controlled study of a brief intervention of bedtime restriction for adult patients with primary insomnia. Journal of Primary Health Care, 5 (1), 5-10. Related URL.
- Rowland, P. J., Falloon, K., Arroll, B., Hood, S., & Veale, A. (2012). Diagnosis and Treatment of Insomnia. http://goodfellowlearning.org.nz/courses/diagnosis-and-treatment-insomnia. Related URL.
- Arroll, B., Fernando, A., Falloon, K., Goodyear-Smith, F., Samaranayake, C., & Warman, G. (2012). Prevalence of causes of insomnia in primary care: a cross-sectional study. The British journal of general practice : the journal of the Royal College of General Practitioners, 62 (595), e99-103. 10.3399/bjgp12x625157
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bruce Arroll, Antonio Fernando, Felicity Goodyear-Smith, Guy Warman
- Arroll, B., Fernando, A., Falloon, K. F., Warman, G., & Goodyear-Smith, F. (2011). Development, validation (diagnostic accuracy) and audit of the Auckland Sleep Questionnaire: A new tool for diagnosing causes of sleep disorders in primary care. Journal of Primary Health Care, 3 (2), 107-113. Related URL.
- Falloon, K. F., Arroll, B., Elley, C., & Fernando, A. (2011). The assessment and management of insomnia in primary care. BMJ: British Medical Journal, 34210.1136/bmj.d2899