Dr Kenneth Tran
Kenneth's doctoral work focussed on developing a mathematical model of the cardiac ventricular myocyte that couples together energy demand and supply processes within the cell. This provides a tool to investigate and delineate the pathways that lead to pathologies arising from a mismatch in energy balance, such as ischaemia where a portion of the heart tissue becomes poorly perfused due to a blockage of the coronary vessels.
Subsequent to his graduation, Kenneth was appointed as a postdoctoral research fellow at the ABI.
Research | Current
Kenneth is currently working as a postdoctoral fellow on the Virtual Physiological Rat (VPR) which is an international collaboration focussed on developing models to understand and investigate the rat physiome. Kenneth is focussed on further developing his cell model and supplementing it with experimental data from rat cardiac tissue to progress the ABI's understanding of cardiac energetics.
- Lauren Dupuis (Masters, 2014)
- Megan Guidry (Masters, 2016)
Areas of expertise
Computational modelling of cardiac cellular bioenergetics.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Dowrick, J. M., Tran, K., Loiselle, D. S., Nielsen, P. M. F., Taberner, A. J., Han, J.-C., & Ward, M.-L. (2019). The slow force response to stretch: Controversy and contradictions. Acta physiologica (Oxford, England), 226 (1)10.1111/apha.13250
Other University of Auckland co-authors: June-Chiew Han, Denis Loiselle, Poul Nielsen, Marie-Louise Ward, Andrew Taberner, Jarrah Dowrick
- Taberner, A., Nielsen, P., Johnston, C., Anderson, A., Cheuk, M., Garrett, A., ... Ruddy, B. (2019). A Dynamometer for Nature's Engines. IEEE INSTRUMENTATION & MEASUREMENT MAGAZINE, 22 (2), 10-16. 10.1109/MIM.2019.8674628
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Denis Loiselle, Andrew Taberner, Poul Nielsen, Bryan Ruddy, Toan Pham, June-Chiew Han, Jarrah Dowrick
- Han, J.-C., Pham, T., Taberner, A. J., Loiselle, D. S., & Tran, K. (2019). Solving a century-old conundrum underlying cardiac force-length relations. American journal of physiology. Heart and circulatory physiology, 316 (4), H781-H793. 10.1152/ajpheart.00763.2018
Other University of Auckland co-authors: June-Chiew Han, Toan Pham, Andrew Taberner, Denis Loiselle
- Pan, M., Gawthrop, P. J., Tran, K., Cursons, J., & Crampin, E. J. (2019). A Thermodynamic Framework for Modelling Membrane Transporters. Paper presented at 63rd Annual Meeting of the Biophysical-Society, Baltimore, MD. 2 March - 6 March 2019. BIOPHYSICAL JOURNAL. (pp. 1). 10.1016/j.bpj.2018.11.2263
- Han, J.-C., Tran, K., Taberner, A. J., Chapman, B., & Loiselle, D. S. (2019). Cardiac Energetics. In J. A. Zoladz (Ed.) (pp. 505-539). ACADEMIC PRESS LTD-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 10.1016/B978-0-12-814593-7.00023-2
Other University of Auckland co-authors: June-Chiew Han, Andrew Taberner, Denis Loiselle
- Ghosh, S., Tran, K., Delbridge, L. M. D., Hickey, A. J. R., Hanssen, E., Crampin, E. J., & Rajagopal, V. (2018). Insights on the impact of mitochondrial organisation on bioenergetics in high-resolution computational models of cardiac cell architecture. PLoS computational biology, 14 (12)10.1371/journal.pcbi.1006640
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Vijayaraghavan Rajagopal, Tony Hickey
- Pan, M., Gawthrop, P. J., Tran, K., Cursons, J., & Crampin, E. J. (2018). Bond graph modelling of the cardiac action potential: implications for drift and non-unique steady states. Proceedings. Mathematical, physical, and engineering sciences, 474 (2214)10.1098/rspa.2018.0106
- GHOSH, S. H. O. U. R. Y. A. D. I. P. T. A., Tran, K., Delbridge, L., Hickey, A., Hanssen, E., Crampin, E., & Rajagopal, V. (2018). Insights on the impact of mitochondrial organisation on bioenergetics in high-resolution computational models of cardiac cell architecture. 10.1101/327254
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Vijayaraghavan Rajagopal