Dr Kathy Waghorn
BFA, BAS, BArch (Hons), Auck., PhD RMIT.
Dr. Kathy Waghorn is a Senior Lecturer and Associate Programme Director (Design Studios) at the School of Architecture and Planning. Dr. Waghorn's research and practice and sits at the intersection of art, architecture and urbanism. The work takes place across diverse platforms, from global contexts to self-initiated performative events with the local Auckland collective HOOP-LA. In 2016 Kathy was the Co-creative Director of ‘Future Islands’, the New Zealand Exhibition at the 15th Venice Architecture Biennale and the following year she completed her PhD with a thesis titled “The Practice of Feeling for Place; a compendium for an expanded architecture”, (RMIT, Melbourne, 2017). Her doctorate articulates an expansion of the field of architecture through foregrounding the complexity of place. Her work acts as a critique of normative architectural procedures and concepts of agency, instrumental design and disciplinarity and in her practice the agency to transform place is opened to a wider constituency and is as much social and performative as it is material.
Research | Current
- Urban pedagogy
- Social practice in art and architecture
- Discourse on 'the home'
- Architectural representation
- Pedagogy of studio based teaching
Teaching | Current
In my role as Associate Programme Director (Design) I commission all design studio courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels in BAS and MArch Prof.
I supervise students in the MArch Prof and MArch Research.
- Associate Creative Director, Future Islands, the New Zealand Pavilion at the 15th Venice Biennale of Architecture, Reporting from the Front.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Walker, C., & Waghorn, K. E. Future Islands: NZIA at the Venice BiennaleObjectspace, Auckland, New Zealand. 28/7/2017 - 18/9/2017 Related URL.
- Waghorn, K. E. (2017). The practice of feeling for place: A compendium for an expanded architecture RMIT University. RMIT University.
- Waghorn, K. E., & Walker, C. Future Islands: New Zealand Exhibition, Venice Architecture Biennale 2016Plazzo Bollani, Venice, Italy. 25/5/2016 - 27/11/2016 Related URL.
- Waghorn, K. (2016). Diagram for make believe: imagining a new park for New Lynn. In C. Barton, S. Twose, S. Treadwell (Eds.) Drawing is / not Building (pp. 84-84). Wellington: Adam Art Gallery Te Pataka Toi Victoria University Press.
- Waghorn, K. E. (Ed.) (2016). The New Zealand exhibition Future Islands: Biennale Architettura 2016. Auckland, New Zealand: The New Zealand Institute of Architects.
- Waghorn, K. E., Haringa, H., Jones, R., Khoo, C. V., Seung Kim, S., Lapwood, A., ... Ryan, H. Muddy Urbanism: an LA dialogueWUHO (Woodbury University Hollywood Outpost), Los Angeles, USA. 7/11/2014 - 23/11/2014 Related URL.
- Waghorn, K. E. (Ed.) (2014). The lab: At the 5th Auckland Triennial, 2013. Auckland, New Zealand: Auckland Art Gallery/Toi o Tāmaki and the University of Auckland School of Architecture and Planning. Pages: 79. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Michael Davis, Andrew Barrie
- Longley, A. M., Fitzpatrick, K., Sunde, C., Ehlers, C., Martin, R., Brown, C., ... Waghorn, K. (2013). Streams of writing from a fluid city. Qualitative Inquiry, 19 (9), 736-740. 10.1177/1077800413500936
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alys Longley, Gary Brierley, Carol Brown, Katie Fitzpatrick