Dr Kate Lee
Research | Current
IGF-II related islet derived hormones. Islet beta cells secrete not only insulin but also other peptide hormones that act synergistically to control blood glucose. These hormones include vesiculin and preptin, which were discovered by NZ researchers here at the University of Auckland. My interests extend to IGF-II biology in general which has received little attention so far in comparison to its well-studied relatives insulin and IGF-I.
Islet function. Islet cells and the hormones they secrete are crucial for maintenance of blood glucose and metabolic balance of the whole body. They act locally and distally and also synergistically with hormones secreted from the brain, gut and fat tissue to balance energy homeostasis through control of energy/nutrient consumption and storage as well as appetite and nutrient absorption. Along with a poor diet, derangement of these systems leads to obesity, diabetes and cancer.
I am a molecular biologist with over 10 years’ research experience spanning the genetics of hypertension, proteomic and transcriptomic analysis of stem-cell-mediated repair of myocardial infarction, and now peptide therapeutics for diabetes. My expertise lie in proteomics and mass spec analysis as well as cell/tissue- and in-vivo peptide function assays and analysis of signalling pathways and protein interaction.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Sorrenson, B., Cognard, E., Lee, K. L., Dissanayake, W. C., Fu, Y., Han, W., ... Shepherd, P. R. (2016). A Critical Role for β-Catenin in Modulating Levels of Insulin Secretion from β-Cells by Regulating Actin Cytoskeleton and Insulin Vesicle Localization. The Journal of biological chemistry, 291 (50), 25888-25900. 10.1074/jbc.m116.758516
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Peter Shepherd, Brie Sorrenson
- Lee, K. L., Middleditch, M. J., Williams, G. M., Brimble, M. A., & Cooper, G. J. S. (2015). Using mass spectrometry to detect, differentiate and semi-quantitate closely-related peptide hormones in complex milieu: Measurementof IGF-II and vesiculin. Endocrinology, Early release.10.1210/en.2014-1593
- Williams, G. M., Cooper, G. J. S., Lee, K., Whiting, L., & Brimble, M. A. (2013). Synthesis of the IGF-II-like hormone vesiculin using regioselective formation of disulfide bonds. Organic & biomolecular chemistry, 11 (19), 3145-3150. 10.1039/c3ob40322j
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Geoffrey Williams, Margaret Brimble
- Lovell, M. J., Yasin, M., Lee, K. L., Cheung, K. K., Shintani, Y., Collino, M., ... Kapoor, A. (2010). Bone marrow mononuclear cells reduce myocardial reperfusion injury by activating the PI3K/Akt survival pathway. Atherosclerosis, 213 (1), 67-76. 10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2010.07.045
- Craddock, N., Hurles, M. E., Cardin, N., Pearson, R. D., Plagnol, V., Robson, S., ... Giannoulatou, E. (2010). Genome-wide association study of CNVs in 16,000 cases of eight common diseases and 3,000 shared controls. Nature, 464 (7289), 713-720. 10.1038/nature08979
- Lee, K. L. (2010). Protein and gene expression analyses in bone marrow stem cells mediated restoration of myocardium after ischemic insult The University of London. University of London.
- Newton-Cheh, C., Johnson, T., Gateva, V., Tobin, M. D., Bochud, M., Coin, L., ... Eyheramendy, S. (2009). Genome-wide association study identifies eight loci associated with blood pressure. Nature Genetics, 41 (6), 666-676. 10.1038/ng.361
- Newhouse, S., Farrall, M., Wallace, C., Hoti, M., Burke, B., Howard, P., ... Dobson, R. (2009). Polymorphisms in the WNK1 Gene Are Associated with Blood Pressure Variation and Urinary Potassium Excretion. PLoS ONE, 4 (4)10.1371/journal.pone.0005003