Dr Khanh Tran
M.D. (Summa Cum Laude)
2018: University of Auckland Partnership Appeal Award
2018: University of Auckland Doctoral Scholarship
2018: New Zealand Society for Oncology Travel Award: NZSO 50th Anniversary 2018 Conference
2017: European Society for Medical Oncology/New Zealand Society for Oncology Travel Award: ESMO Asia Congress, Singapore 2017.
2016: Best Poster Prize - Cancer Biology Meeting, Queenstown Molecular Biology 2018 Conference
2016: Certificate of Recognition - European Association for Cancer Research
2016: European Society for Medical Oncology/New Zealand Society for Oncology Travel Award: ESMO Asia Congress, Singapore 2016.
2015: New Zealand Cancer Society Doctoral Scholarship
Areas of expertise
Signal transduction in cancer
Selective inhibitors of phosphoinositide 3-Kinases (PI3Ks)
BRAF- and RAS-mutant melanoma
Targeted therapies in cancer treatment
Cytokines in tumor microenvironment
Bead-based multiplexing immunoassays
Burden of Cancers and Diseases
Maurice Wilkins Centre - Affiliate Investigator
New Zealand Society for Oncology - Member
Wiley Advisors - Member
Auckland Cancer Research Network - Member
Global Burden of Disease Collaborator Network - Collaborator
Melanoma Network of New Zealand -Member
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- GBD 2017 Colorectal Cancer Collaborators, & Tran, K. B. (2019). The global, regional, and national burden of colorectal cancer and its attributable risk factors in 195 countries and territories, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017. The Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology, 4 (12), 913-933. 10.1016/S2468-1253(19)30345-0
- Burstein, R., Henry, N. J., Collison, M. L., Marczak, L. B., Sligar, A., Watson, S., ... Abd-Allah, F. (2019). Mapping 123 million neonatal, infant and child deaths between 2000 and 2017. Nature, 574 (7778), 353-358. 10.1038/s41586-019-1545-0
- Sousa, K. S., Tran, K., Kolekar, S., Jain, L., Wang, Y., Shepherd, P. R., & Perry, J. (2019). Characterisation of growth hormone signal transduction in primary melanoma cell lines. Paper presented at 44th ESMO Congress (ESMO 2019), Barcelona, Spain. 27 September - 1 October 2019. Annals of Oncology. 10.1093/annonc/mdz238.028
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jo Perry
- Global Burden of Disease Cancer Collaboration, & Tran, B. K. (2019). Global, Regional, and National Cancer Incidence, Mortality, Years of Life Lost, Years Lived With Disability, and Disability-Adjusted Life-Years for 29 Cancer Groups, 1990 to 2017: A Systematic Analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study. JAMA Oncology, online first10.1001/jamaoncol.2019.2996
- Britto, D. D., Wyroba, B., Chen, W., Lockwood, R. A., Tran, K. B., Shepherd, P. R., ... Astin, J. W. (2018). Macrophages enhance Vegfa-driven angiogenesis in an embryonic zebrafish tumour xenograft model. DMM Disease Models and Mechanisms, 11 (12).10.1242/dmm.035998
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jonathan Astin, Christopher Hall, Wenxuan Chen
- Tran, B. K., & Shepherd, P. R. (2018). New combination therapies for melanoma. Paper presented at Maurice Wilkins Centre Research Symposium, Auckland, New Zealand. 6 September - 7 September 2018.
- Tran, B. K., Shih, J. H., Wang, Q., Jamieson, S., Print, C. G., Tsai, P. S., ... Buchanan, C. M. (2018). Co-targeting BRAF and VEGF-A receptors synergistically inhibited the growth of BRAF-mutant and BRAF wild-type melanomas. Paper presented at New Zealand Society for Oncology Conference, Queenstown, New Zealand. 24 August - 25 August 2018.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Betty Jen-Hsing Shih, Claire Wang, Stephen Jamieson, Cristin Print, Peter Tsai, Cherie Blenkiron
- Tran, B., Hunter, F., Jamieson, S., Kolekar, S., Li, D., Kakadiya, P., ... Bohlander, S. K. (2017). Preclinical efficacy and sensitivity determinants of statins in molecularly-defined models of melanoma. Paper presented at New Zealand Society for Oncology Conference, Auckland, New Zealand.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Francis Hunter, Stephen Jamieson, Purvi Kakadiya, Cristin Print, Stefan Bohlander, Peter Shepherd