Mr Kevin Carson Stitely
BSc in Physics and Applied Math, BSc (Hons) in Physics, Auckland
I am currently a doctoral candidate at the University of Auckland funded by the University of Auckland Doctoral Scholarship. I completed both my Bachelor of Science (Hons) and my Bachelor of Science at the University of Auckland in the Physics Department. My PhD is under the supervision of Prof. Bernd Krauskopf and Assoc. Prof. Scott Parkins.
Before coming to Auckland, I attended high school in Dunedin in the South Island at Otago Boys' High School. I came to Dunedin from West Virginia in the United States as a teenager.
Research | Current
Nonlinear Dynamics in Semiclassical Models of Quantum Optical Systems
My research is concerned primarily with the application of mathematical methods to study certain physical models. Specifically, I use the theory and computational methods of nonlinear dynamics to study quantum dynamics in the so-called semiclassical limit, where such systems are modelled as a set of nonlinear differential equations.
This approach is used to study the interaction of many atoms with a light field confined to an optical cavity, a very small box with mirrored walls used to trap light inside. If a laser, or a set of lasers, are shined on the atoms, the atoms can be made to interact with the light as a collective whole to produce very strong emissions of light in a phenomenon called superradiance. Here the semiclassical limit corresponds to modelling a very large number of atoms inside the cavity. The emergence of superradiance, as well as other exotic behaviour such as superradiant oscillations and chaos, can be described mathematically as arising due to structural changes to solutions of the set of nonlinear differential equations that result from the semiclassical limit of the quantum mechanical model.
Teaching | Current
- Tutor, Math 260: Differential Equations
- Tutor, Math 361: Partial Differential Equations
- Laboratory Demonstrator, Physics 390 and 391: Experimental Physics
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Stitely, K., Masson, S. J., Giraldo, A., Krauskopf, B., & Parkins, S. (2020). Superradiant Switching, Quantum Hysteresis, and Oscillations in a Generalized Dicke Model. Arxiv Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Scott Parkins
- Stitely, K. C., Giraldo Munoz, A., Krauskopf, B., & Parkins, A. S. (2020). Nonlinear semiclassical dynamics of the unbalanced, open Dicke model. Physical Review Research, 2 (3), 033131-1-033131-18. 10.1103/PhysRevResearch.2.033131
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrus Giraldo Munoz, Scott Parkins