Dr Kenneth Tran
Kenneth's doctoral work focussed on developing a mathematical model of the cardiac ventricular myocyte that couples together energy demand and supply processes within the cell. This provides a tool to investigate and delineate the pathways that lead to pathologies arising from a mismatch in energy balance, such as ischaemia where a portion of the heart tissue becomes poorly perfused due to a blockage of the coronary vessels.
Subsequent to his graduation, Kenneth was appointed as a postdoctoral research fellow at the ABI.
Research | Current
Kenneth is currently working as a postdoctoral fellow on the Virtual Physiological Rat (VPR) which is an international collaboration focussed on developing models to understand and investigate the rat physiome. Kenneth is focussed on further developing his cell model and supplementing it with experimental data from rat cardiac tissue to progress the ABI's understanding of cardiac energetics.
- Lauren Dupuis (Masters, 2014)
- Megan Guidry (Masters, 2016)
Areas of expertise
Computational modelling of cardiac cellular bioenergetics.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Tran, K., Han, J.-C., Crampin, E. J., Taberner, A. J., & Loiselle, D. S. (2017). Experimental and modelling evidence of shortening heat in cardiac muscle. The Journal of physiology10.1113/jp274680
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Denis Loiselle, June-Chiew Han, Andrew Taberner
- Pham, T., Tran, K., Mellor, K. M., Hickey, A., Power, A., Ward, M.-L., ... Loiselle, D. (2017). Does the intercept of the heat-stress relation provide an accurate estimate of cardiac activation heat?. The Journal of physiology, 595 (14), 4725-4733. 10.1113/jp274174
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kimberley Mellor, Andrew Taberner, Denis Loiselle, Marie-Louise Ward, Toan Pham, June-Chiew Han, Tony Hickey, Amelia Power
- Pham, T., Han, J.-C., Tran, K., Power, A., Ward, M. L., Mellor, K., ... Loiselle, D. (21/9/2016). Blebbistatin reveals length-dependence of the metabolic cost of activating contraction in cardiac muscle. Poster presented at 7th International workshop on cardiac mechano-electric coupling and arrhythmias, Freiburg, Germany. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Marie-Louise Ward, Toan Pham, June-Chiew Han, Amelia Power, Kimberley Mellor, Tony Hickey, Andrew Taberner, Denis Loiselle
- Tran, K., Han, J.-C., Taberner, A. J., Barrett, C. J., Crampin, E. J., & Loiselle, D. S. (2016). Myocardial energetics is not compromised during compensated hypertrophy in the Dahl salt-sensitive rat model of hypertension. American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 311 (3), H563-H571. 10.1152/ajpheart.00396.2016
Other University of Auckland co-authors: June-Chiew Han, Andrew Taberner, Carolyn Barrett, Denis Loiselle
- Tran, K., Loiselle, D. S., & Crampin, E. J. (2015). Regulation of cardiac cellular bioenergetics: mechanisms and consequences. Physiological reports, 3 (7).10.14814/phy2.12464
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Edmund Crampin, Denis Loiselle
- Neal, M. L., Carlson, B. E., Thompson, C. T., James, R. C., Kim, K. G., Tran, K., ... Gennari, J. H. (2015). Semantics-Based Composition of Integrated Cardiomyocyte Models Motivated by Real-World Use Cases. PloS one, 10 (12)10.1371/journal.pone.0145621
- Han, J.-C., Tran, K., Johnston, C. M., Nielsen, P. M. F., Barrett, C. J., Taberner, A. J., & Loiselle, D. S. (2014). Reduced mechanical efficiency in left-ventricular trabeculae of the spontaneously hypertensive rat. Physiological Reports, 2 (11).10.14814/phy2.12211
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Andrew Taberner, Carolyn Barrett, Denis Loiselle, Poul Nielsen, June-Chiew Han
- Han, J. C., Tran, K., Nielsen, P. M. F., Taberner, A. J., & Loiselle, D. S. (2014). Streptozotocin-induced diabetes prolongs twitch duration without affecting the energetics of isolated ventricular trabeculae. Cardiovascular Diabetology, 13 (1).10.1186/1475-2840-13-79
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Denis Loiselle, Andrew Taberner, June-Chiew Han, Poul Nielsen