Professor Larry William Chamley
Research | Current
Major research interests are
- Extracellular vesicles
- The causes of trophoblast deportation and its consequences for maternal physiology.
- Preeclampsia and recurrent miscarriage
- The life cycle of human placental trophoblasts.
- The causes of autoimmune reproductive failure with a focus on events surrounding implantation in and infertility in humans and in particular the effects of antiphospholipid antibodies and antisperm antibodies.
- The biological function of SPRASA, a sperm protein discovered recently by the research team.
Mancy Tong (PhD Candidate)
Jia Wei (PhD Candidate)
Teena Gamage (PhD Candidate)
Megan Alexander (PhD Candidate)
Director of the BSc/BSc(Hons) programme
Areas of expertise
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Mulla, M. J., Weel, I. C., Potter, J. A., Gysler, S. M., Salmon, J. E., Peraçoli MTS, ... Abrahams, V. M. (2018). Antiphospholipid Antibodies Inhibit Trophoblast Toll-Like Receptor and Inflammasome Negative Regulators. Arthritis & rheumatology (Hoboken, N.J.), 70 (6), 891-902. 10.1002/art.40416
- Acharya, G., Aplin, J., Brownbill, P., Bulmer, J., Burton, G., Chamley, L., ... Cottrell, E. (2018). IFPA meeting 2017 workshop report: Clinical placentology, 3D structure-based modeling of placental function, placental bed, and treating placental dysfunction. Placenta, 64 Suppl 1, S4-S8. 10.1016/j.placenta.2017.12.011
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alys Clark
- Tong, M., Abrahams, V. M., & Chamley, L. W. (2018). Immunological effects of placental extracellular vesicles. Immunology and cell biology10.1111/imcb.12049
- Leon-Martinez, D., Mulla, M. J., Han, C. S., Chamley, L. W., & Abrahams, V. M. (2018). Modulation of Trophoblast Function by Combined Hyperglycemia and Antiphospholipid Syndrome is in Part TLR4-Dependent.. Paper presented at 65th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Society-for-Reproductive-Investigation (SRI), San Diego, CA. 6 March - 10 March 2018. REPRODUCTIVE SCIENCES. (pp. 2).
- Chen, Y., Chen, Q., Xu, L., Groom, K., Hickey, A., & Chamley, L. (2018). Antiphospholipid Antibodies Increase the Activity of Caspases 8 and 9 in the Syncytiotrophoblast of Cultured Placental Explants.. Paper presented at 65th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Society-for-Reproductive-Investigation (SRI), San Diego, CA. 6 March - 10 March 2018. REPRODUCTIVE SCIENCES. (pp. 1).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Qi Chen, Katie Groom
- Pantham, P., & Chamley, L. W. (2018). Harvesting and Characterization of Syncytial Nuclear Aggregates Following Culture of First Trimester Human Placental Explants. (pp. 155-163). 10.1007/978-1-4939-7498-6_12
- Tong, M., & Chamley, L. W. (2018). Isolation and Characterization of Extracellular Vesicles from Ex Vivo Cultured Human Placental Explants. (pp. 117-129). 10.1007/978-1-4939-7498-6_9
- Quao, Z. C., Tong, M., Bryce, E., Guller, S., Chamley, L. W., & Abrahams, V. M. (2018). Low molecular weight heparin and aspirin exacerbate human endometrial endothelial cell responses to antiphospholipid antibodies. American journal of reproductive immunology (New York, N.Y. : 1989), 79 (1).10.1111/aji.12785