Professor Larry William Chamley
Research | Current
Major research interests are
- Extracellular vesicles
- The causes of trophoblast deportation and its consequences for maternal physiology.
- Preeclampsia and recurrent miscarriage
- The life cycle of human placental trophoblasts.
- The causes of autoimmune reproductive failure with a focus on events surrounding implantation in and infertility in humans and in particular the effects of antiphospholipid antibodies and antisperm antibodies.
- The biological function of SPRASA, a sperm protein discovered recently by the research team.
Mancy Tong (PhD Candidate)
Jia Wei (PhD Candidate)
Teena Gamage (PhD Candidate)
Megan Alexander (PhD Candidate)
Director of the BSc/BSc(Hons) programme
Areas of expertise
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Mulla, M. J., Pasternak, M. C., Salmon, J. E., Chamley, L. W., & Abrahams, V. M. (2019). Role of NOD2 in antiphospholipid antibody-induced and bacterial MDP amplification of trophoblast inflammation. Journal of autoimmunity, 98, 103-112. 10.1016/j.jaut.2018.12.003
- Nelson, R. A., Salmon, J. E., Chamley, L. W., & Abrahams, V. M. (2019). Viral ssRNA and Viral dsRNA Differentially Modulate Human Trophoblast Responses to Antiphospholipid Antibodies.. Paper presented at 66th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Society-for-Reproductive-Investigation (SRI), Paris, FRANCE. 12 March - 16 March 2019. REPRODUCTIVE SCIENCES. (pp. 1).
- Zussman, R., Xu, L., Groom, K., Seers, B. M., Chen, Q., Johny, J. P., ... Hickey, A. J. R. (2019). Antiphospholipid Antibodies Induce ROS Production in First Trimester Placentae: A Contribution to the Pathogenesis of Preeclampsia.. Paper presented at 66th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Society-for-Reproductive-Investigation (SRI), Paris, FRANCE. 12 March - 16 March 2019. REPRODUCTIVE SCIENCES. (pp. 2).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Katie Groom, Qi Chen
- Acharya, G., Bartolomei, M., Carter, A. M., Chamley, L., Cotton, C. F., Hasegawa, J., ... Konwar, C. (2019). IFPA meeting 2018 workshop report I: Reproduction and placentation among ocean-living species; placental imaging; epigenetics and extracellular vesicles in pregnancy. Placenta10.1016/j.placenta.2019.02.003
- Albrecht, C., Chamley, L., Charnock-Jones, D. S., Collins, S., Fujiwara, H., Golos, T., ... Ichizuka, K. (2019). IFPA meeting 2018 workshop report II: Abnormally invasive placenta; inflammation and infection; preeclampsia; gestational trophoblastic disease and drug delivery. Placenta. 10.1016/j.placenta.2019.02.006
- Thery, C., Witwer, K. W., Aikawa, E., Jose Alcaraz, M., Anderson, J. D., Andriantsitohaina, R., ... Atkin-Smith, G. K. (2019). Minimal information for studies of extracellular vesicles 2018 (MISEV2018): a position statement of the International Society for Extracellular Vesicles and update of the MISEV2014 guidelines. JOURNAL OF EXTRACELLULAR VESICLES, 8 (1)10.1080/20013078.2018.1535750
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Cherie Blenkiron, Simon Swift
- Liu, H., Kang, M., Wang, J., Blenkiron, C., Lee, A., Wise, M., ... Chen, Q. (2018). Estimation of the burden of human placental micro- and nano-vesicles extruded into the maternal blood from 8 to 12 weeks of gestation. Placenta, 72-73, 41-47. 10.1016/j.placenta.2018.10.009
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Qi Chen, Cherie Blenkiron, Arier Lee
- Gamage, T. K., Schierding, W., Hurley, D., Tsai, P., Ludgate, J. L., Bhoothpur, C., ... James, J. L. (2018). The role of DNA methylation in human trophoblast differentiation. Epigenetics10.1080/15592294.2018.1549462
Other University of Auckland co-authors: William Schierding, Teena Gamage, Peter Tsai, Jo James