Dr Liz Sowden
PhD Macq., BTech(Hons) Auck.
Liz graduated with a BTech(Hons) in Biotechnology from the University of Auckland in 2001. She worked as a Research Technician at the School of Biological Sciences for two years before starting her PhD at Macquarie University in Sydney. Her research project investigated the use of high throughput screening methods for the directed evolution of enzymes with industrial applications. After completing her PhD she took up a post-doctoral position in Chemical Biology at the University of Warwick, UK. Liz joined Libraries and Learning Services in 2013.
- Coordinates delivery, assessment and review of a research skills programme.
- Develops online learning objects and prepares web-based content for library online resources and tools.
- Partners with research stakeholders to support researcher skills development for postgraduates, doctoral candidates and researchers.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Sainsbury, P. D., Hardiman, E. M., Ahmad, M., Otani, H., Seghezzi, N., Eltis, L. D., & Bugg, T. D. H. (2013). Breaking Down Lignin to High-Value Chemicals: The Conversion of Lignocellulose to Vanillin in a Gene Deletion Mutant of Rhodococcus jostii RHA1. ACS Chemical Biology, 8 (10), 2151-2156. 10.1021/cb400505a
- Taylor, C. R., Hardiman, E. M., Ahmad, M., Sainsbury, P. D., Norris, P. R., & Bugg, T. D. H. (2012). Isolation of bacterial strains able to metabolize lignin from screening of environmental samples. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 113 (3), 521-530. 10.1111/j.1365-2672.2012.05352.x
- Ahmad, M., Roberts, J. N., Hardiman, E. M., Singh, R., Eltis, L. D., & Bugg, T. D. H. (2011). Identification of DypB from Rhodococcus jostii RHA1 as a lignin peroxidase. Biochemistry, 50 (23), 5096-5107. 10.1021/bi101892z
- Bugg, T. D. H., Ahmad, M., Hardiman, E. M., & Singh, R. (2011). The emerging role for bacteria in lignin degradation and bio-product formation. Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 22 (3), 394-400. 10.1016/j.copbio.2010.10.009
- Bugg, T. D. H., Ahmad, M., Hardiman, E. M., & Rahmanpour, R. (2011). Pathways for degradation of lignin in bacteria and fungi. Natural Product Reports, 28 (12), 1883-1883. 10.1039/c1np00042j
- Gibbs, M. D., Reeves, R. A., Hardiman, E. M., Choudhary, P. R., Daniel, R. M., & Bergquist, P. L. (2010). The activity of family 11 xylanases at alkaline pH. New Biotechnology, 27 (6), 795-802. 10.1016/j.nbt.2010.06.004
- Hardiman, E., Gibbs, M., Reeves, R., & Bergquist, P. (2010). Directed Evolution of a Thermophilic β-glucosidase for Cellulosic Bioethanol Production. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 161 (1-8), 301-312. 10.1007/s12010-009-8794-6
- Bergquist, P. L., Hardiman, E. M., Ferrari, B. C., & Winsley, T. (2009). Applications of flow cytometry in environmental microbiology and biotechnology. Extremophiles, 13 (3), 389-401. 10.1007/s00792-009-0236-4
Primary office location
GENERAL LIBRARY - Bldg 109
Level 1, Room 128
5 ALFRED ST