Professor Lawrence Jun Zhang
PhD, MA (Hon), PGDipELT (Distinction), BA
Dr Lawrence Jun Zhang is Professor of Linguistics in Education (Applied Linguistics & TESOL) in the School of Curriculum and Pedagogy and Associate Dean International Partnerships for the Faculty of Education. His research programme spans cognitive, linguistic, sociocultural and developmental factors in reading/ biliteracy development, critical reading awareness in language education, metacognition, self-regulated learning (SRL) and reading development in L1 and L2 contexts, bilingual/biliteracy acquisition and bilingual/biliteracy education in primary and secondary schools, and learning and teaching English as a second/foreign language at university settings, the effects of self-regulated reading and writing instruction on bilingual/biliteracy development, and teacher identity and cognition in language teacher education.
Dr Zhang was a Post-Doctoral Visiting Fellow (Applied Linguistics & Second Language Acquisition) at the University of Oxford Department of Education. He was the sole recipient of the TESOL Award for Distinguished Research 2010-2011 awarded by the TESOL International Association, USA, for his paper published in an SSCI-indexed journal of the field, TESOL Quarterly, 44(2), “A dynamic metacognitive systems perspective on Chinese university EFL readers”. As one of the leading scholars in the field of TESOL, he has served the profession as an editorial board member for several international journals, including TESOL Quarterly, System: An International Journal of Educational Technology and Applied Linguistics, Applied Linguistics Review, Metacognition and Learning, Writing and Pedagogy, and RELC Journal. He has also been a frequently invited manuscript reviewer for leading journals in the field: Reading Research Quarterly, Review of Educational Research, Journal of Second Language Writing, Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, Modern Language Journal, Language Learning, Language Teaching, Foreign Language Annals, System, English for Specific Purposes, Instructional Science, Research Papers in Education, Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal, Asia Pacific Education Researcher, Asia Pacific Journal of Education, Language Teaching Research, European Journal of Psychology of Education, International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, Journal of Early Childhood Literacy, Journal of Teacher Education, and Educational Psychology: An International Journal of Experimental Educational Psychology, and Language, Culture & Curriculum, among others. He was Principal Investigator of a Singapore MOE-funded research project (200K NZD equivalent), Co-PI of three other MOE-funded projects (500K NZD). His most recent research grant is An Ethnographic Study of Chinese Scholars’ Cross-cultural Experiences in Writing and Publishing Academic Works in English: A Intercultural Rhetoric Approach, RMB 200,000 or NZ$41,000), with Shanghai Maritime University professor Dr John Mu as the Principal Investigator (National Social Sciences Foundation of China) (April 2014 - April 2017).
Research | Current
Externally Funded Research Projects
- Enhancing Singaporean Students' Motivation, Efficacy, Engagement, and Self-Regulation for More Effective Bilingual/Biliteracy Learning. CRPP-MOE-funded project – Principal Investigator (S$213,000). Other University of Auckland co-authors: Donglan Zhang
- An In-depth Study of Independent Variables within and outside School That Impact Literacy and Reading Habits (Stage I): A Formative Evaluation of a School-Based Extensive Reading Programme. CRPP-MOE-funded project – Co-Investigator (S$110,000).
- English Language Learning Strategies in Singapore Primary Schools. CRPP-MOE-funded project – Co-Investigator (S$400,000)
- Integrating Classroom Discourse Corpus for Teachers’ Reflective Practice and Professional Development. CRPP-MOE-funded Research Project - Co-Investigator (S$99,975).
- 跨文化修辞视阈下中国学者英语学术期刊论文写作与发表民族志研究 (An Ethnographic Study of Chinese Scholars’ Experiences in Writing and Publishing Academic Works in English: A Cross-cultural Rhetoric Approach), RMB 200,000 (NZ$40,000), with Shanghai Maritime University Professor John Mu as Principal Investigator, funded by the National Social Sciences Foundation of China (April 2014 - April 2017).
Research Work/Reports Completed
- Zhang, L. J., Zhang, D. L., Zeng, Y. J., Gong, W. G., Ang-Tay, M. Y., Kiss, T., Aw, G. P., Chin, C. K., & Choong, K. W. (2012). Enhancing Singaporean students’ efficacy, engagement and self-regulation for more effective bilingual/biliteracy learning. Singapore: Office of Education Research, National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University. Other University of Auckland co-authors: Donglan Zhang
- Hu, G., Gu, P. Y., Zhang, L. J., & Bai, R. (2009). English Language Learning Strategies in Singapore Primary Schools. Centre for Research in Pedagogy and Practice, Office of Education Research, National Institute of Education, Singapore.
- Goh, C.C.M., Zhang, L. J., Ng, C. H., Koh, G. H. (2005). Teacher Knowledge and Beliefs about English Language Teaching: Effects on Classroom Practices. Centre for Research in Pedagogy and Practice, Office of Education Research, NIE, Singapore.
Teaching | Current
Supervision of Doctoral Research Theses
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Current at UoA, as Primary Supervisor
- Kenneth Ong: Incidental EFL Vocabulary Learning through Codeswitched Reading Tasks, co-supervisor Professor Judy Parr (graduated July 2014)
- Sophie Teng: Social-cognitive and Social-cultural Perspectives on Self-regulation: A Study of Chinese EFL Writers’ Self-regulatory Efficacy, Self-Regulated Learning Strategies and Motivation, co-supervisor Associate Professor Martin East
- Triyoga Dhamautami: Exploring Critical Literacy in Indonesian EFL Students: Dialogic Feedback for Developing Arguments in Response to Environmental Texts, co-supervisor Dr Sue Gray
- Chengsong Yang: Veridicality, Reactivity, and Usability of Metacognitive Verbal Reports in Second Language Learning: A Study of University EFL Writers, co-supervisor Professor Judy Parr
- Baker Sun: Chinese University Teachers’ and Students’ Beliefs, Perceptions, and Practice in Grammar Teaching in ELT, co-supervisor Dr Constanza Tolosa
- Paul Sun: A Study of the Correlation between Affective Factors and L2 Chinese Advanced-level Speakers’ Oral Performance, co-supervisor Dr Sue Gray
- Mazlin Mokhtar: A Study of Code-switching amongst Technical Subject Lecturers in Malaysian Polytechnics, co-supervisor Dr Mei Lai
- Scarlet Huang: Teacher Identity in Foreign Language Teaching: Professional Development for TESOL Teachers in China, co-supervisor Dr Margaret Kitchen
- Chunrong Bao: Teachers’ Cultural Awareness and Its Influence on Student-Centred Classrooms: A Study of Chinese-as-a-Second-Language (CSL) Teachers in New Zealand, co-supervisors, Dr Ruth Williams & Dr Helen Dixon
- Shan Chen: Exploring Effective EFL Teaching in Chinese Universities: Links between Teacher Knowledge and Practice, co-supervisor Professor Stuart McNaughton
- Lan Zhou: An Appraisal Theory Perspective on the Effectiveness of English Language Learning and Teaching in China, co-supervisor Professor Stephen May
- Muhammad Rahimi: Task Complexity in Second Language Writing Production, co-supervisor Professor Jan Gaffney
- Tony Qin: Metacognition and EFL Writing in Multimedia Environments, co-supervisor Dr Richard Hamilton
- Christine Chang: Self-regulation, Working Memory, Learner Strategies and Second Language Listening Development, co-supervisor Professor Judy Parr
- Lori Gao: Dynamic Metacognitive Systems Perspectives on Developing Listening Skills in Students of English as a Foreign Language (EFL) in the Classroom, co-supervisor Dr Marek Tesar
- Lily Wang: Exploring Affective Variables of Unsuccessful Chinese EFL Students at an American Middle School in China, co-supervisor Dr Natsuko Shintani
- Candy Wang: Dynamic System Theory Perspectives on Programatic Development among Second Language Learners, co-supervisor Associate Professor John Read, Department of Applied Language Studies and Linguistics, Faculty of Arts
- Xiao Wang: The development of Chinese EFL learners’ Self-esteem and English Oral Performance during Study Abroad in New Zealand, co-supervisor Dr Margaret Kitchen
- Helen Zhao: Investigating Teacher Cognition in Foreign Language Writing Instruction, co-supervisor Dr Rebecca Jesson
- Tingting Zhang: A Corpus Approach to Teaching Academic Writing, co-supervisor Dr Natsuko Shintani
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Current at UOA, as Co-supevisor
- Vincent Greenier: Exploring the Correlation between Creative Development and Second Language Acquisition through an Arts-Based Curriculum, Main supervisor Dr Tan Bee Tin, Department of Applied Language Studies and Linguistics, Faculty of Arts
- Helen Liu: College English Textbooks in China: A Corpus Linguistics Approach to Their Ideological Underpinnings, Pedagogical Principles, Linguistic Features and Teacher Attitudes, Main supervisor Professor Stephen May
- Anne Jiang: Metacognition and Motivation in L2 Academic English Learning: A Longitudinal Study of Chinese Medical Students, Main Supervisor Professor Stephen May
- Linlin Xu: Written Feedback on Academic Writing: A Study of Chinese Doctoral Students Writing in English as a Foreign Language, Main Supervisor Associate Professor Barbara Grant
PhD Past (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore)
- Justina Ong: Effects of Planning and Revising on Chinese EFL Learners’ Quality in Written Production (runner-up in 2010 for the Christopher Brumfit Best PhD/EdD Thesis Award, through Language Teaching (journal), Cambridge University Press)
- Qing Ni: Raising Students’ Awareness of the Quality of Translation through Linguistic Function Analysis: An Appraisal Study
- Steven Tan: English Reading Strategies of Primary Pupils in Multimedia-Mediated Environments: An Exploratory Factorial Study
- Yuhang Wang: Assessing the Vocabulary Growth of Chinese EFL Learners
- Limei Zhang: Analysis of Reading Comprehension Processes and Strategies Used by Test-Takers in the College English Test –Band 4 in China: A Mixed-Methods Study
MEd Current at UoA (MEd-by-Research 120-point Thesis)
- Emily Wu: Researching Learner Anxiety in Foreign Language Learning: Expanding the Theoretical Bases (until Dec 2012)
- Katherine Huggard: Teachers' Attitudes towards Grammar and Their Pedagogical Practices in Delivering Written Language Programmes in Upper Primary Schools in New Zealand (2014), Co-supervisor Maree Jeurissen
- Chao Zheng: A Comparative Study of Foreign Language Anxiety of Chinese First Year College Students in China and Those Learning in New Zealand (2014), Co-supervisor Dr Kane Meissel
MA Past (Applied Linguistics), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Carol Debarera: The Impact of Metacognitive Scaffolding and Monitoring on Reading Comprehension Tasks, graduated in 2012
- Dayu Jiang: Analyzing the Effectiveness of Multimodal Courseware Design from the Perspective of Cognitive Load Theory, graduatd in 2012
- Yi Zeng: An Investigation of Authority Construction through the Use of Reporting Clauses in Discussion Sections of Chinese Students’ MA Dissertations in Singapore and China, graduated in 2012
- Sulasni Rahman: Effects of Metacognitive Strategic Reading Instruction on Primary School Pupils’ Reading Improvement, graduated in 2008
- Dongping Liu: An Evaluation of the Effectiveness of the Online Writing Assessment System in ETAS, graduated in 2007
- Kenneth Ong: Functional-Lexical Code-Paired Norms of Mandarin-English Bilinguals, 2006
- Fadila Binte Mohmed: Strategies in Reading Comprehension: Case Studies of Good and Poor Upper Primary School Readers, graduated in 2006
- Jean Chen: Student Perspectives on Reticence in the ESL/EFL Classrooms: Comparing High and Low Proficiency PRC Tertiary Students, graduated in 2005
- Recipient of the Teaching Excellence Award in Postgraduate Supervision 2014, Faculty of Education, University of Auckland, New Zealand, 12 June, 2014.
- Winner of the Best Paper Award for International Participation at TESOL Convention 2014 (co-authored with Lin Teng): “Developing Self-Regulated L2 Writers: Self-efficacy, SRL Strategies and L2 Proficiency”, The 48th Annual International TESOL Convention and Exhibition, Portland, Oregon, USA, 26-29 March, 2014 (US$2,500 cash award).
- Sole recipient of the TESOL Award for Distinguished Research 2011, TESOL International Association, Alexandria, VA, USA
- Post-Doctoral Visiting Fellow (Applied Linguistics & Second Language Acquisition), Department of Education, University of Oxford, UK
Invited Plenary Keynote Address: “Pedagogical Imports of Western Practices for Professionalizing Second Language Writing and Writing Teacher Education”, the 13th International Symposium on Second Language Writing: Professionalizing Second Language Writing (SSLW 2014), Arizona State University, USA, 13-15, November, 2014 (other plenary speakers being Professor Dwight Atkinson, Purdue University, Professor Deborah Crusan, Wright State University, Professor Susan Miller-Cochran, North Carolina State University, Professor Tony Silva, Purdue University, & Professor Christine Tardy, University of Arizona).
Invited Plenary Keynote Address: “Fundamental Considerations in Educating Academic English Learners: Challenges and Promises”, the 1st International Conference on Fundamentals and Implementation of Education (ICFIE 2014), Yogyakarta State University, Yogyakarta, Central Java, Indonesia, 11-12 October, 2014.
Invited Plenary Keynote Address: “A Dynamic Metacognitive Systems Perspective on Developing Academic Writing Skills: Writing across the Genre and the Curriculum”, the 61st International TEFLIN Conference, Solo, Central Java, Indonesia, 7-9 October, 2014 (other plenary speakers being Professor Jack C. Richards, University of Sydney, Professor Anne Burns, University of New South Wales, and Dr Peter Micken, University of Adelaide, Professor Rodney Jones, City University of Hong Kong and Dr John Macalister, Victoria University of Wellington).
- Invited Plenary Keynote Address: “Toward a Biliteracy Agenda in Teaching and Researching Academic Writing: What Opportunities Are We Awaiting?” the 9th Symposium on EFL Writing Teaching and Research in China, The Northwest University for Nationalities (NWUN), Lanzhou, China, on 19-21 September, 2014 (other plenary speakers being Professor Dwight Atkinson, Purdue University, USA; Professor Diane D. Belcher, Georgia State University, USA;, Professor Junju Wang, Shandong University; and Professor Lifei Wang, University of International Economics and Business.
- Invited Plenary Keynote Address: “The Moral Ends of Teaching and Researching EFL Writing” International Symposium on ESL Writing: Writing across Borders: New Directions in EFL and ESL Writing Research, Wuhan University of Technology, Wuhan, China, 12-13 September, 2014.
- Invited Plenary Keynote Address: "Developing Students’ High Levels of Academic English in a Globalized World: Metacognition and Genre as Closely-knit Lenses." Invited Plenary Keynote Address at The Annual International Conference of the Chinese American Educational Research and Development Association: American and Chinese Education in a Global Context, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Shaanxi Province, China, 26-28 June, 2014.
- Invited Plenary Speaker Presentation:"Addressing International Students’ Academic Language Needs in Study Abroad by Building on Their Own Resources." Shaanxi Normal University, Xi'an City, Shaanxi Province, 26-28 June, 2014.
- Invited Featured Speaker Presentation: Tea with Distinguished TESOLers: “Enhancing Learner Metacognition for Effective TESOL Instruction”, the 48th Annual TESOL International Convention, 26-29 March, 2014, Portland, Oregon, USA.
- Invited Featured Address: “Exploring the Power of Genre and Metacognition in English Language Learning and Teaching”, the 2013 CELEA Annual Conference: Characteristics of ELT in China and the Training of Foreign Language Personnel, Central China Normal University, Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. 31 October – 3 November 2013 (other plenary speakers being Professor MaryAnn Christiansen, University of Utah, USA; Professor Qiufang Wen, Beijing Foreign Studies University, China; Professor Jianping Chen, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies).
- Invited Plenary Address “History, Current Status and Future Directions of Language Learning Strategy (LLS) Research: A Critical Appraisal”, Plenary Paper presented in the Symposium on Foreign Language Education in a Globalised Context, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, Hubei Province, China, 22-23 Oct, 2013.
- Invited Panellist Speaker: “Opportunities and Challenges in Implementing Strategies-based Reading Instruction for ELLs in Elementary Schools”, delivered in the NNEST-Teacher Education-EFL Intersection Session “Opportunities and Challenges of Teaching and Researching Reading”, the 47th Annual International Convention and Exhibition: Harmonizing Language, Heritage, and Culture, 20-22 March 2013, Dallas, TX, USA (other speakers being Professor William Grabe, Vice President and Professor of English, Northern Arizona University, USA; Professor Neil J. Anderson, Brigham Young University, USA; Professor Fredricker L. Stoller, Northern Arizona University, USA; Professor Ke Xu, City University of New York, USA).
- Invited Plenary Keynote Address: “The Interface of Genre Knowledge and Metacognition in Academic English Language Learning: College English Teaching and Learning in New Times”, delivered at the The 7th Conference on College English Teaching and Research, National Cheng Chi University, Taipei, Taiwan, 12-13 October, 2013.
- Invited Plenary Keynote Address: “Foreign Language Teaching and Learning in Changing Times: Toward a Dynamic Metacognitive Systems Perspective”, the Annual Symposium on Reforming Foreign Language Teaching and Learning at Tertiary Institutions in Shanxi Province, 16 May 2013, Taiyuan University of Technology, Taiyuan, Shanxi Province, China (the other plenary being Professor Lifei Wang, University of International Business and Economics, Beijing, China & Professor Xuanmin Luo, Tsinghua University, China) .
- Invited Featured Spotlight Session Address: “Rethinking Metacognition in TESOL Research and Practice”, the 46th Annual TESOL International Convention and Exhibition, 28-31 March 2012, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Invited Featured Plenary Address: “A ‘Rediscovery’ of Metacognition for Enhancing EFL Students’ Self-Directed Learning in Asian Classrooms”, the 50th JACET Conference, 31 Aug – 2 Sept 2011, Japan Association of College English Teachers (JACE), Kansai University, Fukuoka, Japan (other plenary speakers being Professor Ernesto Macaro, University of Oxford, UK; Professor Rod Ellis, The University of Auckland, NZ; Professor Jo LoBianco, University of Melbourne, Australia).
- Invited seminar "Taking a Sociocultural Turn in Researching Young Learners’ Use of Language Learning Strategies" delivered at the Department of Education, University of Oxford, 2nd June, 2009.
- Invited seminar "Language Education in Asia: Opportunities and Challenges: Reflections on the Bilingual Education Policy in Singapore and the 'New English Standards' in China" delivered at St. Anthony’s College, University of Oxford, 3rd June 2009.
- Invited seminar "A Dynamic Metacognitive Systems Perspective on Foreign Language Learning" delivered at the School of Foreign Language Studies, Northwest University for Nationalities, Lanzhou City, Gansu Province, China, 28 October 2011.
- Zhang, L. J. (2011, December). From Pre-university to University: Facilitating Transitions across Genres in Student Academic Writing. Invited featured speaker presentation delivered at the LCC Roundtable on Academic Writing, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 1-2 December, 2011.
- Invited seminar "Writing and Publishing in a Globalized World" delivered at Yangtze University, Jingzhou, China, 7 December, 2009.
- Invited seminar "Effects of Teachers’ Explicit Metacognitive Explanation and Scaffolding on Developing Emergent English-Chinese Bilingual Writers in Singapore Classrooms" delivered at the Research Centre into Language Education and Acquisition in Multilingual Societies, The Hong Kong Institute of Education, HKSAR, China, 19 April, 2010.
- Invited seminar "Debating the Recent Debates in SLA Research: Revisiting the Developments in SLA Research" delivered at The South China Agricultural University, Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province, China, 13 November, 2006.
- Invited Visiting Professor Lecture "Recent Developments in SLA: The Social Turn in Language Learning Strategy Research" delivered at Yanshan University, Qinhuangdao City, Hebei Province, China, 2 November, 2005.
- Invited Visiting Professor Lecture "Sociocultural Approaches to SLA Research: Changing Perspectives and Agendas in LLS Research" delivered at Hebei University, Baoding City, Hebei Province, China, 5 November, 2005.
- Invited public talk "Towards a Goal-Oriented Tradition in LLS Research: Personal Reflections on Research into Chinese EFL Learner Strategies" delivered at Chang'an University, Xi'an City, Shaanxi Province, China, 25 May, 2004.
- Invited public talk "Chinese EFL Professionals Thinking of Publishing Research Work in International Journals: Possibilities and Constraints" delivered at Chang'an University, Xi'an City, Shaanxi Province, China, 26 May, 2004.
- Invited public talk "Constructivism as a Paradigm: Why Do We Have to Teach Reading and for What Purposes?" delivered at Chang'an University, Xi'an City, Shaanxi Province, China, 27 May, 2004.
- Invited Public Lecture "Talking about Language Learning Strategies: Examining the Wider Implications for Teachers and Students" delivered at Xi'an International Studies University, Xi'an City, Shaanxi Province, China, 28 May, 2004.
- Invited seminar "Conducting Research into Chinese EFL Learner Strategies: Publlicising Pitholes and Anticipating Prospects" delivered at the Zhixing College, Northwestern Normal University, Lanzhou City, Gansu Province, China, 5 June 2004.
- Invited Public Talk "Constructivism and EFL Reading: Re-interpreting Language Learning and Teaching within a New Paradigm" delivered at Lanzhou University, Lanzhou City, Gansu Province, China, 7 June, 2004.
Current: Service to University of Auckland, New Zealand
- International Committee, University of Auckland (Feb 2012 – Dec 2014)
- Postgraduate Committee, Faculty of Education (Feb 2012 - present)
- International Committee, Faculty of Education (Feb 2012 – Dec 2012)
- Education Committee, Faculty of Education (Feb 2012 – Dec 2012)
- Equity Committee, Faculty of Education (Feb 2012 – Dec 2012)
- Admissions Sub-Committee, Faculty of Education (Feb 2012 – Dec 2012)
- Research Committee, Faculty of Education (March 2012 – Dec 2012)
Previous: Service to National Institute of Education (NIE), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore
- Co-Chair, NIE’s Postgraduate Programs Core Team under the TE21 Implementation Program (2011-2012)
- Chair, English Language & Literature Seminar Committee (2005-2012)
- Chair, the 13th International Conference on English Language in Southeast Asia (ESEA 2008) Organizing Committee (2007-2008)
- Chair, Committee on the Development of the Advanced Diploma in English Language Study (2005-2006)
- Chair, English Language & Literature Academic Group’s Program Coordinators Committee (2004-2006)
- Advisor, Postgraduate Diploma in English Language Teaching Program (2000-2008)
- NIE’s Postgraduate Programs Core Team under the TE21 Implementation Program (2009-2010)
- NIE’s Academic and Administrative Systems Teaching Functions Committee (2008-2009)
- Organizing Committee of the International LangScape Conference 2006: Exploring Ways of Teaching English Language & Literature (2005-2006)
- ELL Academic Group’s Faculty Search/Hire Committee (April 2011-Feb 2012)
- ELL Academic Group’s Faculty Re-appointment Committee (Oct 2010-Feb 2012)
- NIE’s Head Search Committee appointed by Dean of Faculty Affairs of NIE for the Asian Languages and Cultures Academic Group (Feb 2011-Dec 2011)
- ELL Academic Group’s Research Ethics Committee (Jan 2011-Feb 2012)
Service to Other Institutions (Doctoral Thesis External Examiner)
- University of Otago, NZ
- Auckland University of Technology, NZ
- Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
- Hong Kong Institute of Education, Hong Kong SAR
- Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
- University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR
- University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
- University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
- University of Western Australia, Crawley, Australia
Areas of expertise
- Second language acquisition and learning / TESOL
- Bilingual-biliteracy acquisition/learning
- Cognitive manipulation on the quality of L2 writers' composition
- Codeswitched texts for learning vocabulary and reading comprehension
- Self-regulated learning (SRL) and metacognition in language learning
- Vocabulary, reading, and writing development in children and adult learners
- Pedagogical grammar and grammar pedagogy
- Second and foreign language teaching and learning
- Language teacher professional development
- Teacher identity, cognition and change
Service for International Refereed Journals as an Invited Editorial/Advisory Board Member
- Applied Linguistics Review (Walter de Gruyter, New York) (2009-present) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- Metacognition and Learning (Springer, New York) (2005-present) (SSCI-indexed)
- TESOL Quarterly (flagship journal of TESOL, Inc., Alexandria, VA) (2007-2011) (SSCI-indexed)
- Journal of Asia TEFL (flagship journal of the Asia TEFL) (2006-2009) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- Asian EFL Journal (Time-Taylor International, Seoul) (2006-2014)
- TESL-EJ (University of California - Berkeley, California (2004-present)
- Linguistics Journal (Time-Taylor, Seoul & British Virgin Islands) (2004-2009)
- Reflections on English Language Teaching (National University of Singapore) (2005-2012)
- English Language Teaching World Online (National University of Singapore) (2012 - present)
- Chinese Journal of Applied Linguistics (Walter de Gruyter, New York & Berlin) (2010-present) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- RELC Journal: An International Journal of Language Teaching and Research (Sage, London & New York) (2011–present) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- Columbian Applied Linguistics Journal (Universidad Distrital, Bagota, Columbia) (2014-present) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- System: An International Journal of Educational Technology and Applied Linguistics (2012-present) (Elsevier Science, Oxford, UK) (SSCI-indexed)
- Writing and Pedagogy (2014-present) (Equinox Publishing, London, UK)
- Journal of Second Language Writing (2015-present) (Elsevier, Oxford, UK)
Service for Regional Refereed Journals as an Invited Editorial/Advisory Board Member
- STETS Language and Communication Review (Singapore Tertiary English Teachers Society, Singapore) (2004-2011)
- Teaching English in China: The CELEA Journal (CELEA and Language Teaching & Research Press, Beijing, PRC) (2003-2009) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- Journal of EFL Writing: Teaching and Research (Higher Education Press, Beijing, China (2013-present)
Service for International Refereed Journals as Invited Manuscript Reviewer/Referee
- Modern Language Journal (Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK & MA, USA) (SSCI-indexed)
- Language Learning (Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK & MA, USA) (SSCI-indexed)
- TESOL Quarterly (flagship journal of TESOL, Int'l Associatin, Alexandria, VA) (SSCI-indexed)
- Foreign Language Annals (ACTFL Inc., Alexandria, VA, USA) (SSCI-indexed)
- Language Teaching (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK) (SSCI-indexed)
- Language Teaching Research (Sage, London & Los Angeles) (SSCI-indexed)
- Journal of Applied Linguistics (Equinox, London, UK) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- Critical Inquiry in Language Studies (Routledge, London, UK) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- Asian Journal of English Language Teaching (Chinese University of Hong Kong Press) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- Current Issues in Comparative Education (Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, USA)
- Journal of Chinese Language Education (Singapore Centre of the Chinese Language, Singapore) (CSCI-indexed)
- Indonesian Journal of Applied Linguistics (TEFLIN, INdonesia)
- Perceptual & Motor Skills (Ammons Scientific, Inc., MT, USA (SSCI-indexed)
- Psychological Reports (Ammons Scientific, Inc., MT, USA) (SSCI-indexed)
- Journal of International Migration and Integration (Springer, New York, USA) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- Reading in a Foreign Language (National Foreign Language Resource Center/University of Hawai‘i)
- International Journal of Bilingualism (Sage, London & Los Angeles) (SSCI-indexed)
- System (Elsevier Science, Oxford, UK) (SSCI-indexed)
- TESL Canada Journal (TESL Canada Federation, Burnaby, BC, Canada) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- English for Specific Purposes (Elsevier Science, Oxford, UK) (SSCI-indexed)
- Journal of Second Language Writing (Elsevier Science, Oxford, UK) (SSCI-indexed)
- Asia Pacific Journal of Education (Routledge, London & New York) (SSCI-indexed)
- Research Papers in Education (Routledge, London & New York, UK) (SSCI-indexed)
- Reading and Writing: An Interdisciplinary Journal (Springer, New York) (SSCI-indexed)
- Instructional Science: An International Journal of the Learning Sciences (Springer, Boston) (SSCI-indexed)
- Journal of Early Childhood Literacy (Sage, London & New York) (SCOPUS-indexed)
- European Journal of Psychology of Education (Springer, New York) (SSCI-indexed)
- Educational Psychology: An International Journal of Experimental Educational Psychology (Taylor and Francis, London & New York) (SSCI-indexed)
- Asia Pacific Education Researcher (Springer, New York) (SSCI-indexed)
- Reading Research Quarterly (International Reading Association, Newark, DE, USA) (SSCI-indexed)
- Journal of Teacher Education (Sage, London & Los Angeles) (SSCI-indexed)
- Language, Culture & Curriculum (Routledge, London & New York) (SSCI-indexed)
- Review of Educational Research (Sage, London & Los Angeles) (SSCI-indexed)
- Journal of Multilingual & Multicultural Development (Routledge, London & New York) (SSCI-indexed)
Service as an Invited Reviewer/Referee for Edited Volumes and Authored Books
- Asia TEFL, Inc. Book Series, Seoul, Korea, 2008
- Multilingual Matters Publishers, Inc., Bristol, UK, 2009
- Independent Learning Association, Auckland, NZ for University of Hong Kong Press, Hong Kong, 2010
- Singapore Centre for the Chinese Language, Singapore, 2009
- Edinburgh University Press, UK, 2011, 2013
- Palgrave Macmillan Academic Press, UK, 2011, 2012
- Springer Academic Publishing, Germany, 2011, 2013
- Routledge (Taylor & Francis Group) - Applied Linguistics series, USA, 2014
- SAAL Quarterly (Singapore Association for Applied Linguistics, Singapore), (Aug 2005 - Jan 2009)
- TESOL Quarterly (Brief Reports and Summaries) (TESOL International Association, USA, Wiley-Blackwell), (Dec 2012 - present) (SSCI-indexed)
Invited Reviewer for Professional Organisations
- American Educational Research Association (AERA), 2013, 2014)
- Invited Reviewer for the BAAL Book Prize, British Association of Applied Linguistics (2008-2009)
- Invited Reviewer for Proposals, TESOL International Association, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Invited Reviewer for Proposals, AILA (International Association of Applied Linguistics), 2008, 2011, 2014
- Invited Reviewer for the LangScape Conference on Teaching English Language and Literature, 2006
Professional Association Memberships
- Member, American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL), USA
- Member, and Chair of the NNEST Interest Section, Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) International Association, USA
- Secretary, Applied Linguistics Association for New Zealand (ALANZ), New Zealand
- Member, Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages of Aotearoa/New Zealand (TESOLANZ), New Zealand
- Member, International Association of Applied Linguistics (AILA), UK
- Member, Singapore Tertiary English Teachers Society (STETS), Singapore
- Secretary (until Feb 2012), Singapore Association for Applied Linguistics (SAAL), Singapore
- Member, International Study Association on Teachers and Teaching (ISATT), UK
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Yang, CS, Hu, G, & Zhang, L. J. (2014). Second language research on recasts: A critical review in response to an ongoing debate. Chinese Journal of Applied Linguistics, 37 (4), 411-429. 10.1515/cjal-2014-0026
- Zhang, L. J. (2014). A dynamic metacognitive systems perspective on developing academic writing skills: Writing across the genre and the curriculum. In H. P. Widodo, N. T. Zacharias (Eds.) Recent Issues in English Language Education: Challenges and Directions (pp. 161-179). Surakarta, Central Java, Indonesia: Sebekas Maret University Press.
- Yang, C., Hu, G., & Zhang, L. J. (2014). Reactivity of concurrent verbal reporting in second language writing. Journal of Second Language Writing, 24 (1), 51-70. 10.1016/j.jslw.2014.03.002
- Zhang, DL, Zhang, L. J., & Gao, XS (2014). RTI in Strategies-based Instruction (SBI) for Bilingual Students. Paper presented at 48th International Annual TESOL Convention, Portland, Oregon, USA. 26 March - 29 March 2014.
- Zhang, L., Aryadoust, V., & Zhang, L. J. (2014). Development and Validation of the Test Takers’ Metacognitive Awareness Reading Questionnaire (TMARQ). The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 23 (1), 37-51. 10.1007/s40299-013-0083-z
- Zhang, L. J. (2014). Writing in English as a Foreign Language: Effects of Cognitive Manipulation on Text Quality. Paper presented at 3rd Triennial International Writing Research Across Borders Conference (WRAB 2014), Paris, France. 17 February - 22 February 2014.
- Dabarera, C., Renandya, W. A., & Zhang, L. J. (2014). The impact of metacognitive scaffolding and monitoring on reading comprehension. System: An International Journal of Educational Technolog and Applied Linguistics, 42 (1), 462-473. 10.1016/j.system.2013.12.020
- Zhang, L. J., & Rahimi, M. (2014). EFL learners’ anxiety level and their beliefs about corrective feedback in oral communication classes. System: An International Journal of Educational Technology and Applied Linguistics, 42, 429-439. 10.1016/j.system.2014.01.012
8.30 am - 5.30 pm, Monday through Friday
N - BLOCK. EPSOM
Level 5, Room 6EN-559A
74 EPSOM AVE