Dr Matthew Bull
BSc MSc PhD Auck.
Dr Matthew Bull
Dr Matthew Bull
https://unidirectory.auckland.ac.nz/profile/m-bullResearch Fellow, Commercialisation Intern The University of Auckland: Auckland Cancer Society Research Centre, Commercialisation
Postdoctoral research fellow at the Auckland Cancer Society Research Centre with the Translational Therapeutics Team, led by Associate Professor Adam Patterson.
Research | Current
- Ongoing development of TH-4000, a hypoxia-selective tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI) curently in Phase 2 clincial trials for lung cancer and Head/Neck cancer in USA and Australia
- Development of additional hypoxia-selective TKI prodrugs
- Development of the hypoxia-selective analogues of the prodrug PR-104
Areas of expertise
- In vitro metabolism
- Bioanalysis (HPLC, LC/MS/MS, SPR etc)
- Hypoxia activated prodrugs
- Cancer drug development
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Spicer, J. A., Miller, C. K., O'Connor PD, Jose, J., Giddens, A. C., Jaiswal, J. K., ... Akhlaghi, H. (2019). Inhibition of the Cytolytic Protein Perforin Prevents Rejection of Transplanted Bone Marrow Stem Cells in Vivo. Journal of medicinal chemistry10.1021/acs.jmedchem.9b00881
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bill Denny, Julie Spicer, Christian Miller, Jiney Jose, Stephen Jamieson, Jagdish Jaiswal
- Mowday, A., Ashoorzadeh, A., Williams, E., Copp, J., Silva, S., Bull, M., ... Guise, C. (2016). Rational design of an AKR1C3-resistant analog of PR-104 for enzyme-prodrug therapy. Biochemical Pharmacology, 116, 176-187. 10.1016/j.bcp.2016.07.015
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jack Flanagan, Adam Patterson, Bob Anderson, Jeffrey Smaill, Maria Abbattista, Amir Ashoorzadeh
- Silva, S., Jackson, V., Guise, C., Abbattista, M., Bull, M., Grey, A., ... Pearce, T. (2015). Preclinical efficacy of tarloxotinib bromide (TH4000), a hypoxiaactivated EGFR/HER2 inhibitor: Rationale for clinical evaluation in EGFR mutant, T790M-negative NSCLC following progression on EGFRTKI therapy. Paper presented at AACR-NCI-EORTC International Conference on Molecular Targets and Cancer Therapeutics, Boston, Massachusetts. 5 November - 9 November 2015. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics. (pp. 2).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Gus Grey, Maria Abbattista, Annie Hsu, Bob Anderson, Amir Ashoorzadeh, Adam Patterson, Jeffrey Smaill, Victoria Jackson-Patel
- Bull, M., Spicer, J., Huttunen, K., Denny, W., Ciccone, A., Browne, K., ... Helsby, N. (2015). The preclinical pharmacokinetic disposition of a series of perforin-inhibitors as potential immunosuppressive agents. European Journal of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, 40 (4), 417-425. 10.1007/s13318-014-0220-y
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Bill Denny, Julie Spicer, Nuala Helsby
- Patterson, A., Silva, S., Jackson, V., Guise, C., Abbattista, M. R., Bull, M., ... Jung, D. (2015). The hypoxia-activated EGFR-TKI TH-4000: Preclinical profile and ongoing clinical studies in NSCLC, SCCHN, and SCCS. Paper presented at 14th International Tumor Microenvironment Workshop: Hypoxia, Angiogensis and Vasculature, Vancouver, Canada. 27 August - 29 August 2015.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Maria Abbattista, Adam Patterson, Amir Ashoorzadeh, Bob Anderson, Jeffrey Smaill, Gus Grey
- Patterson, A. V., Silva, S., Guise, C., Abbattista, M., Bull, M., Hsu, H.-L., ... Ashoorzadeh, A. (2015). The hypoxia-activated EGFR-TKI TH-4000 overcomes erlotinib-resistance in preclinical NSCLC models at plasma levels achieved in a Phase 1 clinical trial. Paper presented at 106th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. 18 April - 22 April 2015. Cancer Research. (pp. 2). 10.1158/1538-7445.AM2015-5358
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Gus Grey, Adam Patterson, Maria Abbattista, Amir Ashoorzadeh, Bob Anderson, Jeffrey Smaill
- Patterson, A. V., Silva, S., Guise, C., Bull, M., Abbattista, M., Hsu, A., ... Smaill, J. B. (2015). TH-4000, a hypoxia-activated EGFR/Her2 inhibitor to treat EGFR-TKI resistant T790M-negative NSCLC. Paper presented at Annual Meeting of the American-Society-of-Clinical-Oncology (ASCO) / Clinical Science Symposium on Predicting and Improving Adverse Outcomes in Older Adults with Cancer, Chicago, Illinois, USA. 29 May - 2 June 2015. Journal of Clinical Oncology. (pp. 1).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Jeffrey Smaill, Adam Patterson, Maria Abbattista
- Spicer, J., Lena, G., Lyons, D., Huttunen, K., Miller, C., O'Connor P, ... Denny, W. (2013). Exploration of a series of 5-arylidene-2-thioxoimidazolidin-4-ones as inhibitors of the cytolytic protein perforin. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 56 (23), 9542-9555. 10.1021/jm401604x
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nuala Helsby, Christian Miller, Bill Denny, Julie Spicer, Stephen Jamieson