Professor Mohammed Mehdi Farid
BSc, MSc, PhD
Professor Mohammed Farid obtained his PhD and MSc in Chemical Engineering from the University of Swansea, Wales and his BSc in Chemical Engineering from the University of Baghdad.
He was the founder of the Department of Chemical Engineering at the University of Basrah in 1983. Since then, he worked as a full professor in the Jordan University of Science and Technology, the University of Science Malaysia and since 1997 in The University of Auckland, New Zealand.
He is a Fellow of the Institution of Chemical Engineers, London and an active member of a number of international societies. He has published more than 360 papers in international journals and refereed international conferences, 6 patents, 5 books and 10 chapters in books.
Farid has received a number of international awards such as the Matsumae International Fellowship from Japan (1986), a prestigious prize for being the most active in research in the University of Basrah (1990), the Hisham Hijjawi Award for Outstanding Scientific Achievement in Research in Jordan (1993) and the Marie Curie Fellowship, from European Union (2010) for his exceptional contribution to research on energy storage.
In 2010, he was short listed and came in the third place for the IChemE Innovator of the Year Award – sponsored by NES in the UK, and has been invited to a large number of international conferences as a keynote speaker. iN 2015, he was awarded the IAEF Lifetime Achievement Award in Food Engineering.
He is a member of the editorial board of three international journals and has been invited to join a number of scientific committees of international conferences.He is a world leader in energy storage with phase change and has provided significant contribution to the field worldwide.
His research expertise covers many other important areas such as the thermal and non-thermal processing of food processing, biofuel and waste management
Research | Current
Energy and Environment: Design and simulation of energy storage systems for the efficient utilization of energy in building and other domestic and industrial applications such as cold storage facilities, Production/ macro and microencapsulation of phase change materials for energy storage, Efficient microchannel heat exchangers for cooling electronic devises, Production of bio-diesel from vegetable oil and animal fat, Production of bioethanol from cellulosic material, Pyrolysis of plastic wastes and used tires into diesel and activated carbon.
Food Process Engineering: Heat and mass transfer in food processing, such as: drying, frying, freeze-drying, freezing and microwave heating and drying, Thermal processing of food: ohmic heating of liquid and solid food, analysis of thermal sterilization in cans and pouches using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), fouling, freeze-concentration, microwave extraction, Non thermal processing of food: Ultra-Violet (UV) processing of liquid food, high pressure processing (HPP), pulsed electric field (PEF) treatment of milk and juices, membrane separation.
Water and Wastewater Treatment: Solar desalination,Solar UV detoxification of organic pollutants in water, Wet air oxidation AND Hydrothermal process for treating pollutants in industrial wastewater water
Active member in a number of university, faculty and department committees.
- Fellow of the Institution of Chemical Engineers, London (FIChemE).
- Member of other professional institutions, such as IFT, ISES, ANZSIS.
- Invited and keynote speaker in a number of international conferences.
- Invited to join a number of scientific committees of international conferences.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Williamson, S. T., Shahbaz, K., Mjalli, F. S., AlNashef, I. M., & Farid, M. M. (2017). Application of deep eutectic solvents as catalysts for the esterification of oleic acid with glycerol. Renewable Energy, 114 (Part B), 480-488. 10.1016/j.renene.2017.07.046
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kaveh Shahbaz
- Yousefifar, A., Baroutian, S., Farid, M. M., Gapes, D. J., & Young, B. R. (2017). Fundamental mechanisms and reactions in non-catalytic subcritical hydrothermal processes: A review. Water research, 123, 607-622. 10.1016/j.watres.2017.06.069
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Saeid Baroutian, Brent Young
- Roberts, N. S., Al-Shannaq, R., Kurdi, J., Al-Muhtaseb, S. A., & Farid, M. M. (2017). Efficacy of using slurry of metal-coated microencapsulated PCM for cooling in a micro-channel heat exchanger. Applied Thermal Engineering, 122, 11-18. 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.05.001
- Guo, M., Liu, S., Ismail, M., Farid, M. M., Ji, H., Mao, W., ... Li, C. (2017). Changes in the myosin secondary structure and shrimp surimi gel strength induced by dense phase carbon dioxide. Food Chemistry, 227, 219-226. 10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.01.050
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Marliya Ismail
- Ansari, J. A., Ismail, M., & Farid, M. (2017). Investigation of the use of ultrasonication followed by heat for spore inactivation. Food and Bioproducts Processing, 104, 32-39. 10.1016/j.fbp.2017.04.005
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Marliya Ismail, Jawaad Ansari
- Jamekhorshid, A., Sadrameli, S. M., Barzin, R., & Farid, M. M. (2017). Corrigendum to “Composite of wood-plastic and micro-encapsulated phase change material (MEPCM) used for thermal energy storage” [Appl. Therm. Eng. 112 (2017) 82–88] (S1359431116322645) (10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.10.037). Applied Thermal Engineering, 11910.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.03.020
- Sulaiman, A., Farid, M., & Silva, F. V. M. (2017). Strawberry puree processed by thermal, high pressure, or power ultrasound: Process energy requirements and quality modeling during storage. Food Science and Technology International, 23 (4), 293-309. 10.1177/1082013216685485
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Filipa Silva
- Sulaiman, A., Farid, M., & Silva, F. V. M. (2017). Quality stability and sensory attributes of apple juice processed by thermosonication, pulsed electric field and thermal processing. Food Science and Technology International, 23 (3), 265-276. 10.1177/1082013216685484
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Filipa Silva
- Media Contact
Currently on sabbatical leave
ENGINEERING BLOCK 1 - Bldg 401
Level 8, Room 802
20 SYMONDS ST