Dr Mark Robert Gordon Harvey
PhD, MCPA, BA, Grad Dip Teaching
Dr Mark Harvey is a performance artist and live artist working with choreography. His practices are conceptually driven and often dialogue and test out notions of minimal endurance with constructions of idiocy, seriousness and deadpan humour, drawing from his visual arts and contemporary dance influences. Some of the galleries and live art events he has presented in include: Enjoy Public Art Gallery (Wellington, NZ, 2003), Govett Brewster Art Gallery (Taranaki, NZ, 2006), Physicsroom Contemporary Artspace (Christchurch, NZ, 2002 and 2006), Parnu International Video and Film Festival Pain in the Class (Estonia, 2006), PSi 15 (Croatia, 2009), Livingroom in collaboration with Isobel Dryburgh (Auckland, NZ, 2010), Letting Space at the new Zealand International Festival of the Arts (2012) and the 55th Venice Bienalle for visual arts (2013). He has curated a range of performance art events such as Lazy Susan and Smelly John (St Paul St Gallery, Auckland, 2005 and 2006). Harvey has been published internationally in a range of topics related to performance, art and choreography such as The Live Art Almanac (2013), The South Project (2013), Performance Research Journal (2006, 2010 and 2013), and The Swedish Dance History (2012). He holds a PhD in performance practice from the AUT School of Art and Design.
Research | Current
- Live art and visual arts-focussed performance art involving choreographic actions and public participation strategies with political investigations.
- Series of performances investigating choreographic and performance art strategies with Nietzsche's notion of testing and constructive notions of idiocy.
- Strategies of performance testing include live bodily endurance tasks with spoken text, video installation and theatrically organized movement.
Teaching | Current
- Choreographic practice
- Choreographic, performance and dance criticism, contextual studies and analysis (post-structural and post-colonial perspectives)
- Interdisciplinary studio practice, site-situated performance, installation practice, collaborative practices and technologies related to performance
- Performance art and related visual art practices and theory
- Somatic approaches in practice and theory
Mark has supervised in a range of topics in practice-led research in honors and masters programmes, in choreography, performance art, visual arts practices and spatial design. He has supervised in theoretical projects related to performance studies, dance contexts and choreographic discourse. He is currently engaged in doctoral supervision projects.
- Selected artist for the 55th Venice Bienalle in Visual Arts, 2013, for 'Political Climate Wrestle' (a performance and exhbition as part of the Maldives Pavilion and subsequently the Maldives Exodus Caravan Show, as part of the Museum of Everything).
- Awarded 'Most dedicated artist' - Dunedin Fringe Festival, 2006.
Areas of expertise
- Practice-led research
- Choreography in the expanded field
- Live art and visual arts-based performanmce art
- Critical discourses in performance studies related cultures and politics
- Member of Performance Studies International: PSi: International Artists Committee.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Richardson, A., Boucher, A., Defrin, C., Bouger, C., Connelly, J., Máté K, ... Kline, N. (2018). Cabinet of Generosities. Performance Research, 23 (6), 93-120. 10.1080/13528165.2018.1534417
- Vargas, M., Brown, C., Harvey, M., Longley, A., Corvalán-Pincheira M, Goujon, D., ... Loncon, E. Sur sur / South south, 16/11/2017. [Inter-arts], (60 minutes), , Museo De Arte Contemporanéo, Santiago, Chile. Commissioning body: The University of Auckland
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alys Longley
- Harvey, M., & Hendy S Nonlocality [series] [Performance art, video, installation] Physicsroom Contemporary Art Space, Christchurch, New Zealand. 17/3/2017 - 8/12/2017
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Shaun Hendy
- Harvey, M. Entrance party, 17/10/2016. [Live art performance], (2 hours), Live art for børn 2016, Kunsthal Nord, Aalborg, Denmark. Commissioning body: Live Art.dk
- Harvey, M. R., Allen, J., & Williams, M. Jim Allen’s News [Exhibition, performance art, live art and live performance] Ramp Gallery, Hamilton, New Zealand. 6/11/2014 - 25/11/2014 Related URL.
- Harvey, M. R. Formal responsibilities, 3/10/2014. [Live performance/performance art/live art], 'We come from far away' at the New Performance Turku Festival, Kutomo Exibition and Performance Space, Turku, Finland. Commissioning body: New Performance Turku Festival, Arts Council of Finland, Kone Foundation, Svenska Kulturfonden, Belgian Arts Council (Wollonie-Bruxelles International.be), Creative New Zealand, The City of Turku
- Harvey, M. R. For the love of Finland, 30/9/2014. [Live performance/performance art/live art], (3 hours, for 3 days), 'We come from far away' at the New Performance Turku Fesitval, Turku, Finland. Commissioning body: New Performance Turku Festival, Arts Council of Finland, Kone Foundation, Svenska Kulturfonden, Belgian Arts Council (Wollonie-Bruxelles International.be), Creative New Zealand, The City of Turku
- Harvey, M. R., Kella, L., & Hewitt, C. We Come From Far Away [Curation of live performance art series and exhibition] New Performance Turku Festival, Turku, Finland. 29/9/2014 - 5/10/2014 Related URL.