Dr Marcus Henning
CLTA, DipTch, BA, MA (psychology), MBus (management), PhD (education)
I currently work as senior lecturer and post-graduate academic advisor at the Centre for Medical and Health Sciences Education. The Centre provides a suite of post graduate clinical education courses using an online interface. I have facilitated numerous workshops to clinical teachers in New Zealand in relation to developing pragmatic clinical teaching skills. I have conducted an annual workshop on Questionnaire Design for 6 years.
Research | Current
I am actively engaged in research and my specific interests include: quality of life, the motivation to teach and learn, organizational behaviour, conflict management, and professional integrity. My background is in psychology, education and mathematics teaching. My PhD was in the area of educational psychology.
Teaching | Current
I teach on the CLINED programme and my current responsibilities include coordinating CLINED 715 and CLINED 716. I also teach on the POPLHLTH 701 Research Methods course and within the MBChB 311A - Medical Humanities programme.
I am currently supervising three PhD students and one masters thesis student and one CLINED masters dissertation.
Areas of expertise
My areas of expertise include questionnaire design and devlopment, motivation and self-regulation; quality of life; workplace conflict and harassment; professionalism; learning disability; assessment; and adult learning.
NZ WHOQOL group - https://cpcr.aut.ac.nz/new-zealand-whoqol
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Medvedev, O. N., Krägeloh CU, Hill, E. M., Billington, R., Siegert, R. J., Webster, C. S., ... Henning, M. A. (2017). Rasch analysis of the Perceived Stress Scale: Transformation from an ordinal to a linear measure. Journal of Health Psychology, 135910531668960-135910531668960. 10.1177/1359105316689603
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Craig Webster, Oleg Medvedev, Roger Booth
- Henning, M. A., Krageloh, C. U., & Webster, C. (2017). Mindfulness and Taijiquan. The Scientific Pages of Cognitive Science, 1 (1), 1-6. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Craig Webster
- Henning, M. A., Krageloh, C. U., Booth, R., Hill, E. M., Chen, J., & Webster, C. S. (2017). Profiling potential medical students and exploring determinants of career choice. The Asia-Pacific Scholar, 2 (1), 7-15. Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Roger Booth, Craig Webster
- Eggleton, K. S., Goodyear-Smith, F., Henning, M., Jones, R., & Shulruf, B. (2017). A psychometric evaluation of the University of Auckland General Practice Report of Educational Environment: UAGREE. Education for Primary Care, 28 (2), 86-93. 10.1080/14739879.2016.1268934
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kyle Eggleton, Felicity Goodyear-Smith, Rhys Jones, Boaz Shulruf
- Henning, M. A., Abaraogu, U. O., Ram, S., Malpas, P., & Hawken, S. J. (2016). Developing a Cross-Cultural Academic Integrity Questionnaire for Medical and Health Sciences Students. Medical Science Educator, 26 (4), 581-586. 10.1007/s40670-016-0302-3
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Phillipa Malpas, Susan Hawken, Sanya Ram
- Okesene-Gafa, K., Chelimo, C., Chua, S., Henning, M., & McCowan, L. (2016). Knowledge and beliefs about nutrition and physical activity during pregnancy in women from South Auckland region, New Zealand. The Australian & New Zealand journal of obstetrics & gynaecology, 56 (5), 471-483. 10.1111/ajo.12456
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Lesley McCowan, Carol Chelimo, Karaponi Okesene-Gafa
- Henning, M. A., Malpas, P., Ram, S., Rajput, V., Krstić V, Boyd, M., & Hawken, S. J. (2016). Students' responses to scenarios depicting ethical dilemmas: a study of pharmacy and medical students in New Zealand. Journal of medical ethics, 42 (7), 466-473. 10.1136/medethics-2015-103253
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Susan Hawken, Phillipa Malpas, Sanya Ram
- Webster, C. S., Luo, A. Y., Krägeloh C, Moir, F., & Henning, M. (2016). A systematic review of the health benefits of Tai Chi for students in higher education. Prev Med Rep, 3, 103-112. 10.1016/j.pmedr.2015.12.006
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Craig Webster, Fiona Moir