Dr Marcus Henning
CLTA, DipTch, BA, MA (psychology), MBus (management), PhD (education)
I currently work as an associate professor and post-graduate academic advisor at the Centre for Medical and Health Sciences Education. The Centre provides a suite of post graduate clinical education courses using an online interface. I have facilitated numerous workshops to clinical teachers in New Zealand in relation to developing pragmatic clinical teaching skills. I have conducted an annual workshop on Questionnaire Design for 6 years.
Research | Current
I am actively engaged in research and my specific interests include: quality of life, the motivation to teach and learn, organizational behaviour, conflict management, and professional integrity. My background is in psychology, education and mathematics teaching. My PhD was in the area of educational psychology.
Teaching | Current
I teach on the CLINED programme and my current responsibilities include coordinating CLINED 715 and CLINED 716. I also teach on the POPLHLTH 701 Research Methods course and within the MBChB 311A - Medical Humanities programme.
I am currently supervising three PhD students and one masters thesis student and one CLINED masters dissertation.
Areas of expertise
My areas of expertise include questionnaire design and devlopment, motivation and self-regulation; quality of life; workplace conflict and harassment; professionalism; learning disability; assessment; and adult learning.
NZ WHOQOL group - https://cpcr.aut.ac.nz/new-zealand-whoqol
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Yu, T.-C., Jowsey, T., & Henning, M. (2018). Evaluation of a modified 16-item Readiness for Interprofessional Learning Scale (RIPLS): Exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses. Journal of interprofessional care, 1-8. 10.1080/13561820.2018.1462153
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Tanisha Jowsey, Tzu-Chieh Wendy Yu
- Krägeloh CU, Wang, G. Y., Zhao, Q., Medvedev, O. N., Wu, Y., & Henning, M. A. (2018). Revised Competitiveness Index for use in China: Translation and Rasch analysis. International Journal of Educational Research, 90, 78-86. 10.1016/j.ijer.2018.05.008
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Oleg Medvedev, Grace Wang
- Krägeloh CU, Medvedev, O. N., Hill, E. M., Webster, C. S., Booth, R. J., & Henning, M. A. (2018). Improving Measurement of Trait Competitiveness: A Rasch Analysis of the Revised Competitiveness Index With Samples From New Zealand and US University Students. Psychological reports10.1177/0033294118762548
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Craig Webster, Oleg Medvedev, Roger Booth
- Eggleton, K., Goodyear-Smith, F., Henning, M., Jones, R., & Shulruf, B. (2017). A psychometric evaluation of the University of Auckland General Practice Report of Educational Environment: UAGREE. Education for Primary Care, 28 (2), 86-93. 10.1080/14739879.2016.1268934
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kyle Eggleton, Felicity Goodyear-Smith, Rhys Jones, Boaz Shulruf
- Henning, M. A., Zhou, C., Adams, P., Moir, F., Hobson, J., Hallett, C., & Webster, C. S. (2017). Workplace harassment among staff in higher education: a systematic review. Asia Pacific Education Review, 18 (4), 521-539. 10.1007/s12564-017-9499-0
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Fiona Moir, Craig Webster, Peter Adams
- Henning, M. A., Pinnock, R., & Webster, C. S. (2017). Does Progress Testing Violate the Principles of Constructive Alignment?. Medical Science Educator, 27 (4), 825-829. 10.1007/s40670-017-0459-4
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Craig Webster
- Henning, M. A., Hawken, S., MacDonald, J., McKimm, J., Brown, M., Moriarty, H., ... Wilkinson, T. (2017). Exploring educational interventions to facilitate health professional students' professionally safe online presence. Medical Teacher, 39 (9), 959-966. 10.1080/0142159X.2017.1332363
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Susan Hawken
- Yielder, J., Wearn, A., Chen, Y., Henning, M. A., Weller, J., Lillis, S., ... Bagg, W. (2017). A qualitative exploration of student perceptions of the impact of progress tests on learning and emotional wellbeing. BMC Medical Education, 17 (148)10.1186/s12909-017-0984-2
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Steven Lillis, Jill Yielder, Andy Wearn, Yan Chen, Jennifer Weller, Warwick Bagg