Associate Professor Martin Rummel
Konzertexamen (Musikhochschule Köln), Diplom (equal MMus, Musikhochschule Köln), DipMus (Bruckner-Konservatorium Linz)
[…] a tempting concept to present Rummel as the latest candidate for ‘most distinguished Viennese cellist of today’. And perhaps he is.” wrote David W Moore in the American Record Guide about Martin Rummel’s album of Merk’s “Fleurs d’Italie” (Naxos) in 2013.
Born in 1974, Martin Rummel is not only the last pupil of the legendary William Pleeth, but also with over 40 CD albums on labels such as Naxos, Capriccio and Musicaphon one of the most distinguished cellists of his generation. As a soloist and chamber musician he regularly performs with orchestras and at festivals and venues throughout Europe, Asia, Oceania and the Americas. Recent seasons saw concerts at venues such as the Vienna Musikverein as well as at "alternative" venues (eg Klärchens Ballhaus in Berlin) alongside concerto engagements with orchestras such as the Zagreb Philharmonic Orchestra, the the Orquestra Sinfónica de Chile, the Orquestra Filarmónica de Santiago and the Kölner Akademie. Chamber music concerts led to collaborations with artists such as Dimitri and Vovka Ashkenazy, Walter Auer, Alfred Brendel, Nicolas Deautricourt, Mei Yi Foo, Homero Francesch, Lena Neudauer, Menahem Pressler, Norman Shetler, Hugo Ticciati and many other renowned musicians of all generations.
Not only because of his editions of all major cello etudes for Bärenreiter-Verlag he is a well-respected pedagogue and is regularly invited to give masterclasses all over the world at institutions such as the New England Conservatory and the Longy School in Boston, the Folkwang Universität der Künste in Essen, the Orchesterzentrum in Dortmund, the Shanghai Conservatory of Music, the Universidad de Chile, the University of Andrews or the Internationale Sommerakademie Lenk, to name only a few. Furthermore he is a passionate ambassador for classical music – as such he is the owner and mastermind of paladino media, with four CD labels (Kairos, paladino music, Orlando Records and Austrian Gramophone), a publishing house and a distribution company being one of Europe's most diversified business in the classical music industry.
Since the mid-1990s, he owned or had various famous instruments on loan, by makers such as Matteo Goffriller ("Sabatier", 1690), Tommaso Balestrieri (1778), Georges Chanot (1840), Giacomo Zanoli (1737) and the "Ex Tolbecque" by Gustave Bernadel (1898). He increasingly enjoys playing a cello by Martin Horvat, Cremona 2010. For all his instruments, he uses hand-made strings by Thomastik-Infeld, Vienna.
Research | Current
Recent and upcoming performances include concerts at the Musikverein in Vienna, concerto appearances with the Orquestra Filarmóniqua de Santiago (Chile) and others, as well as recordings for the CPO and paladino music labels. Upcoming sheet music editions include the first print of Sir Eugene Goosens' version of Handel's "Messiah" for full symphony orchestra as well as contributions towards the first edition of David Popper's complete works.
Teaching | Current
Due to his current role as Head of School, Associate Professor Martin Rummel is not teaching a cello studio at the University of Auckland. If you want to enrol in a postgraduate degree (MMus, DMA, PhD) under his supervision, do not hesitate to get in touch! Associate Professor Rummel is, however, a lecturer at the Universität Wien in the Cultural Communications Masters program.
Performance students in the BMus (Hons), MMus, PGDip and DMA degrees.
2017: Appointment as Honorary Professor to the China Conservatory of Music
2012: Pizzicato Supersonic Award for CD "Zani, Complete Cello Concertos"
since 2010: Endorsement artist of Thomastik-Infeld, Vienna
all School of Music committees
University of Auckland Senate
editorial board of "NU Magazin"
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Auer, W., Rummel, M., & Hinterhuber, C. Auer, Rummel, Hinterhuber, 14/1/2015. [Live Concert], (2 hours), Auer, Rummel, Hinterhuber, Musikverein, Vienna, Austria. Commissioning body: Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Wien Related URL.
- Rummel, M. Schumann's Cello Concerto in A minor, Op. 129, 1/8/2014. [Live Performance], , Teatro Universidad de Chile. Commissioning body: Orquesta Sinfónica de Chile Related URL.
- Rummel, M. Andrea Zani: Complete cello concertos, 1/1/2013. [CD], (120 mins), , Immanuelskirche, Wuppertal (Germany). Commissioning body: University of Auckland National Institute of Creative Arts and Industries Related URL.
- Rummel, M. Haydn. Trios for Flute, Cello and Piano Hob. XV:15-17 (M Rummel, cello) [CD recording], 1/1/2011. [CD (Naxos 8.572667) + booklet], Recorded in the Mozart:raum, Mozarthaus, Vienna, June 17-18, 2010, Mozarthaus, Vienna (Austria). Commissioning body: Naxos Rights Ltd.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Uwe Grodd
- Rummel, M. Henze, Serenade for cello solo Schumann, Five Pieces in Folk Style for cello and piano op 102, 2/10/2010. [Live Concert], recital, Lindenbrauerei, Unna (Germany). Commissioning body: Kulturkreis der Unnaer Wirtschaft
- Rummel, M., Azesberger, K., & Langmayr, U. Thomas Daniel Schlee's opera 'Ich, Hiob' op 68 for tenor, soprano, solo cello and a small instrumental ensemble, 15/7/2007. [Live Concert & TV/Radio recording], World Premiere Ich, Hiob by Thomas Daniel Schlee, Carinthischer Sommer Festival, Ossiach, Austria. Commissioning body: Carinthischer Sommer
- Media Contact
Mark Stephan Buhl Artists Management
MUSIC SCHOOL - Bldg 250
Level 1, Room 101
6 SYMONDS ST