Professor Merryn Tawhai
Merryn Tawhai graduated from the University of Auckland with a PhD in Engineering Science in 2001. She leads a research programme at the Auckland Bioengineering Institute (ABI) in applied computational physiology of the respiratory system. Merryn is the Deputy Director of the ABI and Director of the Medical Technologies Centre of Research Excellence (MedTech CoRE). She was awarded the 2016 MacDiarmid Medal by the Royal Society of New Zealand (RSNZ) Te Apārangi, is a Fellow of the RSNZ, and a Fellow of IAMBE and AIMBE.
Research | Current
My research is focused on the development of integrative computational models of the pulmonary system and their application in understanding structure-function interactions in normal physiology and in the pathophysiology of pulmonary disease. I have particular interest in the application of computational modelling to improving clinical diagnosis and monitoring of pulmonary disease, particularly in the older lung.
Current graduate students
Joyce John (current) A computer-based quantitative CT analysis for prediction of disease progression and mortality in interstitial lung disease
Behdad Sharbafi Ebrahimi (current) A tool for prediction of patient status in pulmonary hypertension (Main supervisor AR Clark)
Toby Jackson (current) The influence of lung alveolar microstructure on lung tissue mechanics
Amir Rastar (current) Computational models for image- and model-based biomarkers in asthma
Daniel Addo (under examination) In silico modelling to advance Arterial Spin Labelling Magnetic Resonance Imaging (Main supervisor KS Burrowes)
Zay Yar Win (2020) Development of a cohort of patient-specific models of lung mechanical ventilation and gas exchange
Hamed Zaeim (2019) Development of a Biomechanical Basis for Lung Image Registration (Main supervisor AR Clark)
Yuwen Zhang (2019) Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: quantitative methods to compare structure and function to the normal lung
Mahyar Osanlouy (2018) Statistical Shape Analysis to Quantify Lung Structure-Function Relationships over the Adult Lifespan
Rojan Saghian (2018) Modelling the uterine circulation to understand the causes and consequences of inadequate spiral artery remodeling (Main supervisor AR Clark)
Mabelle Lin (2017) A computational model of the placental chorionic villous (Main supervisor AR Clark)
Wendy Kang (2017) Computational models for respiratory gas exchange and their applications
Karthik Subramaniam (2016) Age-Related Mechanical Changes to the Lung: A Multi-Scale Modelling Approach
Joshua Lee (2015) A computational model to predict function in experimental pulmonary embolism
Matthew Barrett, (2013) Modelling blood flow and oxygen transport in the active brain (Main supervisor V Suresh)
Wilson Chiu (2011) Multi-scale models of Respiratory impedance and Bimodal ventilation
Inga Wang (2010) A mathematical model of smooth muscle contraction in the human lung (Main supervisor J Sneyd)
Kerry Hedges (2010) A Computational Model of Forced Expiration Through Anatomical Airways in Health and Disease
Annalisa Swan (2010) A Multi-scale Computational Model of Pulmonary Gas Exchange
Jennine Mitchell (2010) A computational model of the mechanisms that influence inert gas measurement of regional ventilation
Nicolas Warren (2009) A computational model of bronchial airway mucociliary transport
Kelly Burrowes (2005) A mathematical model of the pulmonary circulation
- Arthur Postles (2014), Arterial wall shear stress in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension
- Ho-Fung Chan (2013), Multimodality image registration for bronchiectasis
- Shijie Yin (2008), An anatomically based mathematical model of the human placenta
- Tingting Zhao (2007), Modelling gravitational deformations of the sheep lung
- Roseanne Leaupepe (2007), A mathematical model of the effect of fibre angle on contraction of the murine airway
Auckland Bioengineering Institute
2018 - current: Director, the MedTech CoRE
2017-current: University of Auckland Budget Committee
2015-19: Associate Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research) for PBRF, University of Auckland
2015-17: Deputy Director, the MedTech CoRE
2013 - current: Deputy Director, ABI
Areas of expertise
- Computational physiology
- Mathematical models of integrative lung function
- Multi-scale multi-physics models
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Morton, S. E., Knopp, J. L., Tawhai, M. H., Docherty, P., Heines, S. J., Bergmans, D. C., ... Chase, J. G. (2020). Prediction of lung mechanics throughout recruitment maneuvers in pressure-controlled ventilation. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 197.10.1016/j.cmpb.2020.105696
- Yarragudi, S. B., Kumar, H., Jain, R., Tawhai, M., & Rizwan, S. (2020). Olfactory Targeting of Microparticles Through Inhalation and Bi-directional Airflow: Effect of Particle Size and Nasal Anatomy. Journal of aerosol medicine and pulmonary drug delivery, 33 (5), 258-270. 10.1089/jamp.2019.1549
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Haribalan Kumar
- Osanlouy, M., Clark, A. R., Kumar, H., King, C., Wilsher, M. L., Milne, D. G., ... Tawhai, M. H. (2020). Lung and fissure shape is associated with age in healthy never-smoking adults aged 20–90 years. Scientific Reports, 10 (1) Related URL.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Mahyar Osanlouy, Alys Clark, Haribalan Kumar
- Howe, S. L., Chase, J. G., Redmond, D. P., Morton, S. E., Kim, K. T., Pretty, C., ... Desaive, T. (2020). Inspiratory respiratory mechanics estimation by using expiratory data for reverse-triggered breathing cycles. Computer methods and programs in biomedicine, 18610.1016/j.cmpb.2019.105184
- Jackson, T., Gamage, T. B., & Tawhai, M. H. (2020). The Influence of Pores of Kohn on Alveolar Tissue Micromechanics. Paper presented at International Conference of the American-Thoracic-Society (ATS), ELECTR NETWORK. 10 November 2020. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RESPIRATORY AND CRITICAL CARE MEDICINE. (pp. 1).
- John, J., Clark, A. R., Kumar, H., Bartholmai, B. J., Levin, D. L., King, C., ... Tawhai, M. H. (2020). Imaging-Based Tissue Heterogeneity to Predict Disease Extent in IPF. Paper presented at International Conference of the American-Thoracic-Society, ELECTR NETWORK. 1 January 2020. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RESPIRATORY AND CRITICAL CARE MEDICINE. (pp. 1).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Haribalan Kumar
- Kumar, H., Puliyakote, A. S. K., Tedjasaputra, V., Clark, A. R., Hopkins, S. R., & Tawhai, M. H. (2020). Model-Based Estimation of Tissue Density Associated with a Change in Lung Posture Using MRI. Paper presented at International Conference of the American-Thoracic-Society, ELECTR NETWORK. 1 January 2020. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RESPIRATORY AND CRITICAL CARE MEDICINE. (pp. 2).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Haribalan Kumar, Alys Clark
- Addo, D., Tawhai, M. H., Clark, A. R., Glenny, R. W., Prisk, G., & Burrowes, K. S. (2020). A Theoretical Comparison of ASL MRI and Microsphere Estimation of Pulmonary Blood Flow. Paper presented at International Conference of the American-Thoracic-Society, ELECTR NETWORK. 1 January 2020. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RESPIRATORY AND CRITICAL CARE MEDICINE. (pp. 2).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Kelly Burrowes