Associate Professor Malcolm Legget
MBChB MD FRACP FACC FCSANZ
Malcolm Legget trained in cardiology at Green Lane Hospital and at the University of Washington, Seattle and is a consultant cardiologist at the Green Lane Cardiovascular Service, Auckland City Hospital, and at Auckland Heart Group. He was Director of Echocardiography at Green Lane Hospital from 1995-2000.
Since 2014 Malcolm has been an Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Auckland. He completed his MD in 2008 on quantitative three-dimensional echocardiography. He is part of the team that introduced CT coronary angiography and percutaneous aortic valve implantation into clinical practice in Auckland.
Malcolm's research interests relate to the application of imaging and genomics to the treatment and prevention of ischaemic heart disease, and the diagnosis and management of valvular heart disease.
Research | Current
Cardiovascular genomics, biomarkers and imaging to more accurately predict cardiovascular risk and personalise therapy.
Malcolm is the principal investigator on MENZACS ( Multi Ethnic New Zealand Acute Coronary Syndrome Study) , and a co-investigator on the National Science Challenge Healthier Lives project for equitable CVD and diabetes risk prediction.
The use of digital technology to enhance medical student teaching in cardiology.
The use of transoesophageal echocardiography in the perioperative setting.
The use of biosensors to assist in diagnosis of cardiovascular disease.
Teaching | Current
Year 3 clinical methods tutor and assessor
Year 4 clinical supervisor, tutor and assessor
Year 4 subspecialty lecturer and tutor
Year 6 assessor
Year 4 lecturer
Nutrition and Dietetics
MEDSCI 315 lecturer
PhD and postdoctoral supervision
MD, FRACP, FACC, FCSANZ
General medicine and subspecialty teaching MBChB
Areas of expertise
Cardiology, cardiac imaging, cardiovascular genomics
Chair- Translational Medicine Trust, University of Auckland School of Medicine
Chair- Unicorn Foundation New Zealand
Board Member- Heart Foundation of New Zealand
Trustee- Heart Health Research Trust
Member – International Editorial Board, Heart
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Pilmore, H. L., Xiong, F., Choi, Y., Poppe, K., Lee, M., Legget, M., & Kerr, A. (2020). Impact of chronic kidney disease on mortality and cardiovascular outcomes after acute coronary syndrome: A nationwide data linkage study (ANZACS-QI 44). Nephrology (Carlton, Vic.), 25 (7), 535-543. 10.1111/nep.13703
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Katrina Poppe
- Gladding, P. A., Legget, M., Fatkin, D., Larsen, P., & Doughty, R. (2020). Polygenic Risk Scores in Coronary Artery Disease and Atrial Fibrillation. Heart, lung & circulation, 29 (4), 634-640. 10.1016/j.hlc.2019.12.004
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rob Doughty
- Legget, M. E., Toh, M., Meintjes, A., Fitzsimons, S., Gamble, G., & Doughty, R. N. (2018). Digital devices for teaching cardiac auscultation - a randomized pilot study. Medical education online, 23 (1)10.1080/10872981.2018.1524688
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Rob Doughty, Greg Gamble
- Sidebotham, D., Merry, A. F., Legget, M. E., & Wright, I. G. (2018). Practical Perioperative Transoesophageal Echocardiography. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. Pages: 320. 10.1093/med/9780198759089.001.0001
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Alan Merry
- Earle, N. J., Poppe, K. K., Kerr, A. J., Rolleston, A., Doughty, R. N., & Legget, M. L. (2018). Outcomes in working age first-acute coronary syndrome patients: the ANZACS-QI New Zealand national cohort. Paper presented at European-Society-of-Cardiology Congress, Munich, GERMANY. 25 August - 29 August 2018. EUROPEAN HEART JOURNAL. (pp. 1).
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Katrina Poppe, Rob Doughty
- Meintjes, A., Lowe, A., & Legget, M. (2018). Fundamental Heart Sound Classification using the Continuous Wavelet Transform and Convolutional Neural Networks.. Conference proceedings : ... Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Annual Conference. 10.1109/embc.2018.8512284
- Earle, N. J., Poppe, K. K., Doughty, R. N., Rolleston, A., Kerr, A. J., & Legget, M. E. (2018). Clinical characteristics and burden of risk factors among patients with early onset acute coronary syndromes: The ANZACS-QI New Zealand national cohort (ANZACS-QI 17). Heart, Lung and Circulation, 27 (5), 568-575. 10.1016/j.hlc.2017.04.010
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Nikki Earle, Katrina Poppe, Rob Doughty, Andrew Kerr
- Rieß F-C, Fradet, G., Lavoie, A., & Legget, M. (2018). Long-term outcomes of the mosaic bioprosthesis. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 105 (3), 763-769. 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2017.09.053